Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the situation. I have been trying to tune Muzzy 3 blade BH's for about a week now and I can only get them to hit 2-3 inches right of my FP's. I tried a Thunderhead 125 gr this morning and boom bullseye at 20 and a little lower at 30 and lower yet at 40 but all in line. Probably due to it being 125 not 100. Should I ditch the Muzzy BH's and buy 100 grain Thunderheads. If I do will the flight be the same as the 125's. Or should I try some Slick Tricks. I also received today some NAP Shockwave mechanicals.
Any advice or opinions are appreciated as always.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bheads

If you've given up on the Muzzy's you might consider 100 g5 strikers. Fly as good as you want. I believe most folks are having trouble getting slick tricks in a timely manner. I'm sure someone will chime in though.

all the best,
john

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
ralphy670 said:
Ok, here is the situation. I have been trying to tune Muzzy 3 blade BH's for about a week now and I can only get them to hit 2-3 inches right of my FP's. I tried a Thunderhead 125 gr this morning and boom bullseye at 20 and a little lower at 30 and lower yet at 40 but all in line. Probably due to it being 125 not 100. Should I ditch the Muzzy BH's and buy 100 grain Thunderheads. If I do will the flight be the same as the 125's. Or should I try some Slick Tricks. I also received today some NAP Shockwave mechanicals.
Any advice or opinions are appreciated as always.
Thanks
I've never had a problem getting Muzzy's to fly like field points....you say the 100 gr muzzys hit 2-3" to the right while the 125 TH's hit dead on...

QUESTION: what weight field point were you sighted in for? 100 or 125? Changing the weight of your head changes your spine and you might just not have a setup that likes the combination of your arrows and 100 gr heads.

But then again stranger things have happened....if your groups are just as good and arrow flight is fine you could just consider moving your sights over to compensate....but I understand it would both me as well to just accept it without explanation or solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i agree with aggie.

I shoot the wasp boss 100's, thunderhead 100's, sonics 100's, liberty 100's as well as the G5 striker 100s. All shoot well out to 50 yrds. I will be out opening day with the sonics and the liberty 100's. Oh yeah they fly just like my FP's too.

Cheers,

·
Registered
899 Posts
If ya decide to hang up the Muzzy's, I'll be happy to give them a new home!!:D

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
my muzzy's shoot about 3 inches low and 2 inches to the right of my field tips. Move your site to where you need it and don't mess with it to get the field tips to shoot straight. :(

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't see why they wouldn't

I would say the 100's would fly the same as the 125's. I had been shooting Spitfires for the past 8 years and I'm going to the NAP Nitrons. I'd look at these as an option, also if you wanted to stay with the 125 gr Thunderheads, they are a great head. I wouldn't shoot the muzzy's if I were you...not because they're bad, but because they aren't shooting to your field points.

Josh

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
siucowboy,

I was sighted in using 100 grain feild points. I am sure that is the reason they dropped at a further distance. I have Easton 400 ST Epic arrows. I am not sure what my draw weight is but it is not maxed out at 70 or near 70. It feels like about 60-63. I do not think it is a spine issue. Wouldnt using a heavier head on the same arrow cause more of a right POI considering the Easton Guide if the arrow was underspined? I am trying out the Shockwaves tomorrow and possibly buy some Slick Tricks.
Thanks for all of your responses

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did consider that, but all information I have read indicates that the POI suggests underspined. Should I try doing the opposite and crank my draw weight all the way up?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Well if the 125 grain Thunder Heads are shooting good .......move your sight a hair and shoot those. Why would you worry about running around trying to find heads that will shoot good when you already have one that shoots?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'm just guessing... but did you not say you tried a 125 grain broadhead and that it impacted to the same POI at 20??? That would indicate a slight over spine...

When tuning arrows an Allen wrench can be your best friend...:mg:

You wouldn't happen to be left handed would you???

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Javi, the POI of the 100gr Muzzy's were right of my target and the 125 Thunderhead was right on. Would this mean over spined or under spined? The Easton tuning guide says it is a weak spine.
I am a right handed shot.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
ralphy670 said:
So Javi, the POI of the 100gr Muzzy's were right of my target and the 125 Thunderhead was right on. Would this mean over spined or under spined? The Easton tuning guide says it is a weak spine.
I am a right handed shot.
Real easy way to find out.... turn the bow up... with the 100 grain Muzzys... if they hit in the same POI as your field points you're good to go... if not you answered the spine question and can look for another reason such as them being out of alignment with the shaft. Another issue may be fletching... If you ain't got enough drag to straighten the arrow flight and your center shot is off a bit...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This is what I was getting at with the 100 grain heads...you might have been slightly overspined and adding broadheads at that grain weight only aggrevated the issue....by putting on a 125 grain head you weakened the spine and possibly cured the issue..

Try 125 field points and see if you don't shoot smaller groups.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks fro the advice guys. I will try cranking her up full and give the muzzys a whirl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts