Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I need a little help with options for a new bow.

I am 5'6" and have a draw length of 26 1/2 inches. I wanted to treat myself to a newer Hoyt riser and limbs, but I wanted some opinions of other archers who are slightly vertically challenged as I am.

What combination of riser heights and limbs (short/med/long) do you find work best for shorter shooters like myself. I currently shoot a PSE Impala #35 total height of 60". I am looking to go up about 10 lbs on the draw weight.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-ben

·
Registered
882 Posts
you could shoot, if your looking at the new hoyt formula a 25" and short limbs. it would be fast enough to get the job done i think. if your getting a gmx you may want to look into a 23" and shorts.

Chris

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am 5'7" with just over a 27" draw. I use 23" GMX with medium limbs.
Btw, do not look to increase draw weight by 10 lbs in one jump-you will not succeed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad. I meant I was going up #5's. I must have been looking at something while I was typing.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Helix or Eclipse risers? Good, Bad, don't waste my time? Thanks again.

·
Registered
882 Posts
there good risers i just dont like the feel of the tec-bar, because all it did was make it heavier, you would see the same stiffness out of a gmx. i only recomend shooting a 23" riser if your going to shoot short limbs, because the sight window is quite small and could cause an issue

·
Registered
90 Posts
5'5 with 26/5 - 27" draw. I went with 23" riser and med (68") limbs to give me a 66" bow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I must be a freak then, I'm 5'5" and have a 28" draw on my recurve. On my compound I'm 26" draw. I use a 25" riser and short limbs to get me 66". It's alot snappier than a 23" riser and medium limbs. But it felt a bit smoother with the shorter riser and medium limbs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just to be clear, is everyone talking about AMO draw (nock to button / deepest part of the grip) plus 1.75"?

Rasyad

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 5' 6 with a 27 1/4 (front of the riser) draw length, and I shoot a 25" riser and medium limbs. My girlfriend is close to the same measurements (5' 5, slightly lower, 26 3/4, draw length) and she shoots the same set up. As far as the risers, we have a club member using the Helix (23") with medium limbs, and he likes it. I've heard better things about the Eclipse. As far as I've heardthe short limbs are less efficient than the mediums (lower arrow speed for the same draw weight) on the same riser. I personally shoot an Inno, and I like it alot better than my Aerotec, so -1 for the tec-bar I guess.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i am 5'6" also and draw 28 1/2" to the back of the riser...my arrows are 29" from nock groove to tip..

i have tried a 25" riser and short limb combo but didn't like it...fast but not too stable and string pinch was a slight issue..

my regular set-up is a 25" riser with medium limbs to make a 68" bow..

i also have long(70") limbs for indoor as i like it's smoothness and speed is not a concern indoors..

PS..i also tried my 23" riser and long limbs--no good as i lost my sight marks at 18M..

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 5'5 and have tried several setups over the past three years, including short riser/short limbs for a 64" bow, for about two years a long riser and short limbs (66"), for a few weeks a long riser and medium limbs (68"), and currently, long riser and long limbs for a 70" bow. The performance on the 66" and 70" bows have been best at 70m so far.

I have a lot of faith in Hoyt products, and many of our customers and JOAD students are shooting the Eclipse. The Helix is no longer being made new, but if you are looking used, it's an excellent riser. The Eclipse is essentially a cast, magnesium version of the Helix. All of our customers who are shooting them are quite pleased with the value and quality.

Teresa

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
just want to add that our women's national team are all under 5'6"....all of them use 25" risers and short limbs and draw less than 28"...same with the korean ladies IIRC..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts