Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for helping out, Mike.
You're right, Dave--a lot of the information and equipment target boys and men, so I'm always glad when folks pay attention to what women and girls need. Good luck with your article!

There's an organization, Shoot Like a Girl, that might also be able to help you out with information about women and girls in archery.

You might also be interested in this story that aired about a year ago on NPR: More Women Hunt, Seeking Food And Togetherness. While it's not specific to archery (it addresses hunting in general), the bottom line is that more women and girls are becoming interested in hunting and are learning what it takes to become successful hunters.

An excerpt:

"According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1.2 million women hunt in America. They account for 9 percent of the total hunting population. The number of male hunters is falling, while the number of women who hunt is stable. And there's one group among them that's actually growing."
"The numbers of girls who are hunting is increasing exponentially," says Holly Heyser, who writes a women's hunting blog she calls NorCal Cazadora."
"There are a lot more dads who take their girls hunting," she says. "It used to be a father-son activity and now, you know, I see lots of dads taking out their little girls, and they're happy to be out there."

·
Registered
30 Posts
David,

I may be interested in writing for your blog. I don't have a ton of technical knowledge however, I am a young woman who has been shooting competitive archery for 2 years - and loving it! I have a writing degree from NMU and I have not yet put that degree to use. Please let me know if you have any writing opportunities available!

Thanks,
Cori

1 - 6 of 6 Posts