21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
(aka lug nut)
48,489 Posts
Coach Kim Video clip - 5a.
Get the Grip Done.

This is custom modifying a grip, with 2-part plumbers putty,
or Bondo. Your choice. When you mash the two parts together,
then, you can mold the putty like Play Doh, and shape your grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh3SKZclg9A

You are making a WEDGE,
so the left edge of the grip is HIGHER, closer to your face...
so the right edge of the grip is farther away from your face, closer to the riser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sounds like you want ILF Oly info. I'd suggest you check out the FITTA, NAA, collegiate competition forum.
Check out the sticky up top by DChan and ask your questions providing as much of the info asked for in the sticky as you can.
Best of luck in your archery endeavor.
Thank you, GBUSA - will do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi --

Thanks for ALL of the information, videos, and clips alike.
I'm not sure if I'm specifically leaning towards ILF bows, but I know it's an option and
I was hoping to hear whether they or non-ILF would be better suited.
As for the JOAD programs, I'm not sure that'd work out considering I'm 24.

I'll definitely see what I kind find though as far as coaches go - I'm not adverse to lessons; however,
I have checked into them before and there arent many places that are close to where I live - everything is a good 45 minute drive
out. Thank you for the recommendation on the sebastien flute premium riser, I'll check that out as well.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,489 Posts
Hi --

I'm not sure if I'm specifically leaning towards ILF bows, but I know it's an option and

I'll definitely see what I kind find though as far as coaches go - I'm not adverse to lessons; however,
I have checked into them before and there arent many places that are close to where I live - everything is a good 45 minute drive
out. Thank you for the recommendation on the sebastien flute premium riser, I'll check that out as well.
The same folks that teach JOAD,
will probably also have programs for adults.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,489 Posts
Hi --

All wood trad bows are LIGHTER.
The ILF bows are heavier, cuz the handle is metal.

Try them both, and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
And yes, with the Hoyt Freestyle (Olympic) risers you have some that take ILF limbs and some that take the Hoyt formula limbs.
I'd stick to ILF for now, as your pool for finding deals on used limbs as you move up in weight will be deeper and less expensive.
Plus you have a wider audience when you wish to sell them, or if you decide to try another brands risers out you can take your limbs with you.

You shouldn't have to much of a problem finding a recurve coach and bow shop in Mass.

And to Nuts&Bolts, you are the man!
I honestly have no idea how you do it, but you are, Archers helping Archers. My hats off to you.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Watch al the videos N&B suggested and buy Viper1's book. Simply the most informative book out there. I am an experienced archer and found myself referring to this book on a daily basis. Lots of great onto about setup, form, equipment.
My advice would be to start with an inexpensive set up at low poundage. This is the key. Start with a low poundage that will allow you to pull back for many shots without getting your arm tired. You CANNOT learn good form with a high poundage. I would start around 20 lbs for a while, while you try the techniques mentioned in the videos above.
No matter what setup you choose, do not buy arrows until you decide on the poundage of the limbs, and measure your exact draw length.
When you have this info, come back and ask for arrow spine advice. You can get a lot of help in this forum.
Dchan, Viper 1, N&B, and many others (forgive me for not mentioning everyone) are great people to get advice from.
Good luck!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts