Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have taken quite a lot of bass, tilapia and small catfish of around 2-5lbs here in South Africa. I have recieved an invitation from a buddy to take a couple of grass carp from his lake as there are too many. These fish are pretty big, around 40lbs+. How do I go about shooting these fish? How should I set up my bow fishing rig? Getting close to them is not a problem, one can easily sneak to within 10yards. I have a 60pound Browning compound with a basic AMS bowfishing rig. What I have improvised (as the correct large fish floats ect. aren't available here) is to loosen the end of the dacron line from the back of the retriever bottle and thread it out again in the front. To this I attached a "home made float" consisting of a empty plastic 2litre soda bottle. Will this suffice? How about shot placement and the retrieving of the float and fish? Any advice on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Grass Carp

A bottle attached to the end of your line will work fine...I uess you'll be in a boat to track down your bottle. Your set up Bow wise will work fine. Try to shoot expandable foam into the soda bottle, it will give you more bouyance(spelling)

I took the New New Jersey State recird grass carp this past spring.......a few ounces shy of 60 pounds

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for all the advice guys, I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I've got him! Congratulations on an awesome Carp Sugar!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Hey Engee... Maybe a 200 litre drum as a float. Cut it in half afterwards, and use both halves to braai the thing!

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The biggest thing I have noticed about Grass Carp is they FIGHT! It is not uncommon for them to come clear out of the water when hit. They love to shake off the arrow so my advice is a point with very aggressive holding power. I modify my muzzy points with a longer and wider wire to help hold the fish on. If you can make a head shot it would be the best. Good Luck and post some pics!

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NOW I'm nervous!! Ha Ha!! The 200 litre drum sounds like a better and better idea by the minute... I think I'm in for a rude awakening... Will keep you guys posted! Thanx for all the advice.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
We get them between 40-60lb where I live.
400lb soft line and a 20liter float ain't going over board.
Where I've shot them the irrigation ditches are only about 20 feet wide but their deep an they run for miles.
I've just shot them an let them run with the float,then follow them on foot.
I use a bear SS blade braised onto a spear gun head with double flippers.
That way you tend to kill them with the head rather than just poke a hole in them.Try to shoot them through the gills an they don't last long.
Spring is just around the corner down here,so I'm getting the gear ready as we talk.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jack NZ said:
We get them between 40-60lb where I live.
400lb soft line and a 20liter float ain't going over board.
Where I've shot them the irrigation ditches are only about 20 feet wide but their deep an they run for miles.
I've just shot them an let them run with the float,then follow them on foot.
I use a bear SS blade braised onto a spear gun head with double flippers.
That way you tend to kill them with the head rather than just poke a hole in them.Try to shoot them through the gills an they don't last long.
Spring is just around the corner down here,so I'm getting the gear ready as we talk.
:banana: :banana: :banana:
Where do you come from in NZ , Being an ex Kiwi I did'nt know that they grow that big or that you had them over there ??:embara: :embara:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I live in Waiuku.
Grassies are the only carp I've shot,because their on my door step an I don't need a boat.
The drainage ditches through Otau an out to the river have small populations of quite big fish in them.
The largest one I've seen had to be 70lb an it's still down there somewhere.
I'm still lookin' to.
There are also "of course" about a million Koi carp in the river an surrounding swamps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Amazing!!

It's a small world,,I grew up in Papakura and know that area very well,my folks still live out at Waiau Pa ,many a day was spent on the Manukau harbour as a young lad,(many years ago now ) Spent o lot of time on the Waikato river getting whitebait in those days, and I guess this is the river that you speak of.
I did'nt know that there were carp there in that area,but boy they would be fun to chase.
Another ex old archer and good friend has been living in Waiuku for the last couple of years as his wife's folks come from there, and was there myself last October for a week then went up to Whangarei for the trans tasman.
Tried to find somewhere to go trout fishing while Iwas there but no avail.
We now live in Hervey Bay in Queensland

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
CM,yes it's the waikato river.
The Koi carp have been here since about the mid 80's,they were released by course fishermen an now their in plauge proportions.:mad:
The grass carp have been in the drainage ditches since the 50's an were put there by local farmers to keep weed levels down.
Their also in the big river but have never got out of control like the Koi have.
My father inlaw happens to be an old ex archer,living in Waiuku as well.
The fishing on the Manukua is still ok too.
I own a place in Tokoroa as well,an we're 10 minites from Whakamaru,the trout fishing out there would keep you busy,very busy!!
Keep it in mind mate.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Advice

After you figure out what to do with your setup, kill every stinkin carp you can, these fish do more harm than good !!!:wink:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Fred74 said:
After you figure out what to do with your setup, kill every stinkin carp you can, these fish do more harm than good !!!:wink:
Dynamite them.:shade: I am a member of a very old and established trout association. We recently had to stock some of our lakes with Grass Carp. We had to choose between "mowing" the lake or fishing. Now I am waiting for these carp to do there thing and get big.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your set up sounds fine. Just shoot them and hang on for a good fight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts