Archery Talk Forum banner

Advice on hunting "new" land

463 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kscumminsdriver
I am hunting a farm again that I haven't hunted on for about 5 years. I have a vague recollection where the stands are located. I will be hunting the first weekend in November, which should be prime. The last thing I want to do is go in blind and be blundering around the woods trying to locate stands. Wait for gray light before going in? Thoughts appreciated.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
If you're not sure of the stand locations, I'd wait until legal shooting light instead of stumbling around in the dark with a flashlight. Also, go on google maps satellite of the area, it might jog your memory. My trails are clearly visible on google maps. I'm also fortunate to have a county GIS mapping system where you can see satellite imagery and find out who owns property. It has a little better resolution than google.

· Registered
8,611 Posts
Go in after 1st light is well up. Have a rough idea where you might want to sit, and then scout on your way in. Do some scouting during the mid day, 1pm-3pm when things will likely be dead for movement. If you have a bunch of cameras, be sure to spend some time that first day setting them up. YOU"LL find out way more with cameras in a very short time.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corn has been recently cut. My plan is to wait the morning, scout from a distance and go in mid-day. Let things settle and catch them coming back into the field in the evening. They're just starting to seek a little here, so movement during the day should increase within the next couple weeks. I do remember the stand I plan to hunt was on a decent travel corridor...but again, that was a few years ago.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Nothing wrong with waiting for a little light. I hunt deep woods and do this. Much better than crashing through the woods lost. in Nov you should have good all day movement if the weather is good and you have good deer population.

· Registered
890 Posts
Are you planning on using these stand that haven't been checked in years or using a climber/lock on?

On a new piece of land I generally like to have observation stand(s) and then come up with a plan.

If I'm hunting a good ways in the timber I like to go in at gray light typically.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
That doesn't sound good.....going in blind to hunt stands that have been up for 5 years? Why don't you go in for an afternoon hunt the first day.....find a stand....check it out then hunt the PM.....come back in the morning....?

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am planning to hunt the existing stands. They have been used recently by others, so I know they've been maintained.
Corn has been recently cut. My plan is to wait the morning, scout from a distance and go in mid-day. Let things settle and catch them coming back into the field in the evening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.