Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for you expert advice. My dad recently hurt his shoulder and can no longer shoot a compound. He has taken to a recurve and is doing pretty good. He is shooting a Martin 50# @28", but he is probably getting a little more draw out of it. We got to thinking about energy so set up the chrony and started shooting. We strted out with about 450 grs of arrow (Beeman 340 uncut with 145gr head) and got about 170fps. Switched to 100gr head an got around 190fps. With the lighter combination it is 34 ft lbs of energy. So my question is should we look for lighter arrows with more velocity, or heavier arrows with less. It is the old brick and gravel theory. We are thinking heavier for better penetration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks "trentcamp"

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
First: Wouldn't a compound of the same draw be even better? Recurves do not have let off. Compounds do. A 50# compound would be faster than the same weight recurve, or am I missing something? I am not following the logic.

second: In my opinion, like everything in life, moderation, is the best. KE and momentum each are of value. I would stay with the 100 grain points and keep the arrows about where they are.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metalarcher, thanks for the response. It is not about draw weight, he can still draw the weight, it is about bow weight, he has trouble holding the weight of the bow. I agree he would be better off with a compound, but find one that weighs the same as a recurve.

Thanks "trentcamp"

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, shooting a recurve is a little different that shooting a compound. You have to be very much more into proper spine for forgiveness of a finger release. I would shoot which ever appeared to be more accurate. Follow Easton's tuning guide for this. People were killing deer for many years with much heavier arrows and 50# compounds. I would be inclined to split the difference and try 125 grains as well.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
trentcamp said:
Metalarcher, thanks for the response. It is not about draw weight, he can still draw the weight, it is about bow weight, he has trouble holding the weight of the bow. I agree he would be better off with a compound, but find one that weighs the same as a recurve.

Thanks "trentcamp"
If possible, have him check out some of the bows near the top of this list...

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-Bow-Reviews/compound-bows-sorted-by-bow-mass.htm

One of these with a light finger style rest could work well. Would take some time to visit some dealers to test shoot these bows but it might be worth the effort in the long run.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When Shooting relatively low KE, Go for momentum with heavy arrows. I definately agree that spine and FOC should determine the broadhead weight. Finally finding a low mass weight compound might solve many problems. My wife had a bowtech Ladyhawk that weighs under three pounds Useing a hip quiver a light sight and rest, you should be able to come up with a bow that has a weight relatively close to the traditional bow.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I will try some of your suggestions.

"trentcamp"

·
The Impartial Archer
18,227 Posts
50#'s is enough for deer with either bow. I would shoot the heavier arrow with a cut on impact head like a silver flame or land shark or steel force or.....Limit you shots to 25 and less which is almost twice the distance of the average bow kill and he will be fine. Many deer have fell to recurves of less than 50 lbs and many women are hunting deer with a newer compound @ 50 and less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts