Archery Talk Forum banner

Advice on Target Sights

663 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  young_bull44
Just getting into more spot shooting. Don't really know what sight would be a good starter. Looked at some on the classifieds, but want some info on what is good or not for a beginer? kind of leaning towards sur-loc or toxonics. Don't really know if I want a scope right away either. Give me some feedback as much as possible, so I don't get something I don't need. Also budget is a little tight right now.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6,685 Posts
Spot shooting you can get away with a "lower quality" setup generally as you shooting the same yardage all the time.

As long as it's tight and stays put your OK.

Anything unmarked and variable yardages is another story.

I've used Toxys,Copper John, CBE, Sure Loc and recently purchased 'The system' by Davis.

CBE was the king of durability, Sure Loc and toxy are wicked adjustable and pretty solid.

Some of the Toxys I liked better than others. The "Pro series" when you can find them are great. They have a Mounting block like the Sure locs and an adjustable bar for 3rd axis and can be found for around 100 or so. They're an older model and not always easy to find.

I have to say I've been pretty happy with the Davis so far though. I haven't had it long enough to compare durability with the CBE but it's definitely beefier than any Tox or Sure Loc and brand new was 120. Great value.

I'd shy away from the Check-It sights. Some are OK and some slip like they're made of ice and you never know until you own it and shoot it.

Get a scope too. If you just using a pin don't waste the cash. You won't get the full effect of a good sight without a decent scope.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Copper John and Sure-Loc are really sweet sights, and the CBE is most likely the best for beginner to mid grade...Im hearing that The system' by Davis is the cats meow...

· Registered
823 Posts
I've been reading here and on other forums about how good the Shibuya Ultima's are and after just receiving one I understand why. It will be many many moons before I order anything else and I've owned most of the nicer target sights over the years.

Tom

· Registered
1,576 Posts
I suggest getting a very good sight, and adding a lense to the scope later, if you are not sure or want to save money at the moment. A good sight will benefit you for years. If by spots, you include field shooting, the ease of changing distance settings is very important.

I suggest Axcel and Sureloc in that order. They are both very good and easily adjusted.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Listen to erasmu a good sight will last for years. My sureloc is on its 5th or 6th bow and still works like new.I have found that its something that will not be outdated in 2 or 3 years so get the best you can afford. Its like binoculars you get what you pay for.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone!

I sure got some great advice. Now I have something to go by. Just love AT, such wonderful and very helpful archers here.

· Registered
40,174 Posts
Just getting into more spot shooting. Don't really know what sight would be a good starter. Looked at some on the classifieds, but want some info on what is good or not for a beginer? kind of leaning towards sur-loc or toxonics. Don't really know if I want a scope right away either. Give me some feedback as much as possible, so I don't get something I don't need. Also budget is a little tight right now.
hoggfather for all of the above :smile:

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Copper John and Sure-Loc are really sweet sights, and the CBE is most likely the best for beginner to mid grade...Im hearing that The system' by Davis is the cats meow...
CBE, THE BEST FOR BEGINNER TO MID GRADE????
i would be willing to bet that there are as many cbe sights on any pro range in the country as any other sight out there.

it is the most durable sight out there in the adjustable sight market.

· Resident Philosopher
11,705 Posts
for spots only...
any good quality, metal, micro-adjustable will work
hard to beat Axis or Sureloc though.

· Registered
40,174 Posts
CBE, THE BEST FOR BEGINNER TO MID GRADE????
i would be willing to bet that there are as many cbe sights on any pro range in the country as any other sight out there.

it is the most durable sight out there in the adjustable sight market.
The CBE could have been considered the "toughest sight " till the hogfather came along :darkbeer:

· Registered
395 Posts
I have had a Sure-Loc Supreme for a quite a while now and it has been great. I really don't know how a sight could be made better.

One thing I will say about them is their customer service is great. I had one of the fingers on the sliding scope block, adjustment side, break off. The piece that lets you remove you scope from the sight. It was my fault. I have a tendency to overtighten things. My shop called Sure-Loc and it was sent to them. The broken block was replaced, and the entire sight was cleaned, lubed, and new ruled tape put on. Now the click adjustment are sharp and very positive. I had it back in one week. What more can a person aske for? A1 sigth and an A1 company!

· Registered
4,587 Posts
If your just gonna shoot in doors and NEVER move outside, then anything you can get your hands on will work.

However, a move to the sunshine is emminent, and that being the case, look at the AXCEL sight. It is a very solid sight with very tight workings. 20 clicks per turn windage and elevation and removeable sight blocks with just a thumb screw make it very easy to use.

It is definitely worth the look. Good luck with what ever you choose.

· Registered
2,910 Posts
If you are just starting out then find a good used Chek-it 9000.Bar And block should be able to get for under a hundred lots of them out there.Ive shot them for 25 years and tend to find and buy them pretty reasonable.They were the best before Sure-Loc came out.Micro adjustable and durable too.They were top of the line then.Heck I would probably sell you one of mine but they are a good utility sight.You can get them in black or polished aluminum.Sight blocks were usually drilled for both 8/32 and 10/32 pins or scopes.Usually on E-Bay you can find them.Sometimes here too. Later good luck.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
i am surprised SWORD has not been mentioned. i would look at the titan (top quality but still not going to kill your wallet) or the trident comp. (still super quality but cheap to mid priced) check the out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.