Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I need your advice.

Last evening, my hunting partner shot a doe. When I picked him up at the stand, he had not even retrieved the arrow, so the area was undisturbed. It had been about an hour since he had shot. I found the arrow right where he said the deer was standing when shot. The arrow had red blood (no bubbles) but had lots of white hair. The hair indicates she was hit low, but the blood was bright red with no intestine materail or any other sign indicating a gut shot. Unfortunately, in the excitement, my friend cannot tell me exactly where, on the deer's body, the arrow impacted. There was a fairly profound blood trail for about 10 yards, then the blood completely disappeared. Rather than begin a random search, I suggested, as has been outlined in several posts, to give the deer the night and we would resume our search after lunch today. It has rained and I am about to go look for the deer.

Firstly, any advice other than persistence?

Secondly, what does the arrow tell you?

Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
It sounds like your friend just caught the bottom of the chest.

"LOTS" of white hair usally means a grazing shot.

Since it has rained I would suggest walking back and forth in ever widening circles in the direction the deer ran.

Depending on how much rain you had the only chance in finding the deer is probably just spotting it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grazing shot

Willie,
Thanks for the reply...

Would a grazing shot have that much blood on the arrow?? I was surprised by the amount of red blood on the arrow.

I will probably take the "circle" approach. The problem is my property line is about 250 yards from where the deer was impacted.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Depending on the angle the deer was shot at, you will get alot of white brisket hair if the arrow exits low on when shooting from a treestand. No big deal as long as there is BROWN hair too. The brown hair will show that you did hit the upper chest also.
If you had a solid blood trail that quickly was cut-off, it may have plugged with fat, tissue etc. Again, not a problem if it was a good hit. The blood will be tough to spot, but hopefully it dried on the leaves before the rain came in, then it will last longer. Don't walk on top of the trail the deer took, walk to the side of it, so you can go back if you need to and look at spots where the leaves are kicked up if you aren't finding any blood. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hair on the arrow

Unfortunately, I did not find any brown hair on the arrow.

Not to be morbit, but I may try to photograph it and post it.

I am not trying to be anal, but I really want all of my hunters to retrieve their deer. In 20 years of hunting, I personally have only "lost" 3 deer and two of those were found several days later. This is difficult because I did not actually witness the shot so I really appreciate the advice.

I will let you know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts