Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting for about four years using an entry level Samick Polaris. I've recently borrowed and enjoyed a Mission Menace, but I think I'm really a recurve shooter at heart. I'd like to upgrade to an Olympic-style recurve. The reviews are really favorable for the Winex 25" recurve riser and Winex limbs. Together the price point is about on target for my budget, but I'm not sure what limb length to go with.

I'm a 52 year old female, with a 27 inch draw and pulling about 28 lbs. My goal is to start shooting competitively with my local club, typically "900" American format shoots.

Any advice is welcome.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,326 Posts
I've been shooting for about four years using an entry level Samick Polaris. I've recently borrowed and enjoyed a Mission Menace, but I think I'm really a recurve shooter at heart. I'd like to upgrade to an Olympic-style recurve. The reviews are really favorable for the Winex 25" recurve riser and Winex limbs. Together the price point is about on target for my budget, but I'm not sure what limb length to go with.

I'm a 52 year old female, with a 27 inch draw and pulling about 28 lbs. My goal is to start shooting competitively with my local club, typically "900" American format shoots.

Any advice is welcome.
Hello GigiSO. You will get much more advice about Target Oly recurve in the FITA section of ArcheryTalk. So, the Win Win risers are excellent. Big step up from the Polaris. As you know, you will be using ILF limbs (International Limb Fitting), so all the brands of limbs, from any manufacturer, will fit in any riser, as long as the riser and the limbs are ILF. Sebastien FLute limbs are a nice introductory limb. You have a choice of shorts, mediums and longs. 25-inch riser and short ILF limbs, will get you a 66-inch recurve bow. 25-inch riser and medium ILF limbs will get you a 68-inch recurve bow. 25-inch riser and long ILF limbs will get you a 70-inch riser. Obviously, the longer the bow, the larger the string angle. With a 27-inch recurve draw length, you do not have to worry about stacking the limbs and you also do not have to worry about finger pinch, from too sharp of a string angle. So, you have a choice of the short limbs or the medium limbs...a 66-inch recurve bow or the 68-inch recurve bow. I shoot 29-inches of draw length, and I use a 25-inch riser and medium limbs. The short limbs will give you more cast...meaning, more bang for the buck...a wee bit more arrow speed....a skosh more distance, from the same poundage rating limbs. The medium limbs will be a skosh SMOOOOOTHER. I would suggest you try the short limbs. Since you will be shooting 900 rounds...the most important thing is to pick the proper arrow stiffness rating. 99 times out of 100 times...my beginner recurve students come to me, and have been sold the WRONG arrow spine rating...were sold the stiffness rating arrows that were in stock.

So, with 28 lbs of weight on the fingers...did you MEASURE the pounds on the fingers, or do you mean you are currently using 28 lb limbs? Makes a big difference.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,326 Posts

Any advice is welcome.
If you are using 28 lb limbs, then, at 27-inches of draw length, you have roughly 26 pounds on the fingers. I would recommend the Easton Inspire 1400 arrows, with the 70 grain bullet point. I would use an arrow wrap, and Flex Fletch 187 vanes or VaneTec Swift 1.87 vanes. These vanes are only 1.87-inches long, and only 0.3-inches tall. Tiny little things, but provide very good guidance, and will help you get all the way to 60 yards, with the 28 lb limbs or 28 lbs on the fingers.

So, Easton Inspire 1400 spine arrows. 70 grain bullet point. Only size available. So, with 28 lbs on the fingers, have the arrow tube, the RAW carbon fiber tube cut to 27.00-inches long. This is end of carbon to end of carbon. Most shops specify END of NOCK GROOVE to end of carbon tube. If that is the case, then, END of nock groove to END of carbon tube would be 27.5-inches long. THis will work for 28 lbs on the fingers.

If you have 28 lb limbs, then, with 26 lbs on the fingers...Same Arrows. Easton Inspire 1400 spine arrows. Same 70 grain bullet point. Same vanes, the VaneTec Swift 1.87 vanes, and an arrow wrap. BUT, the tubes, the carbon tubes need to be cut at 29.00-inches END of carbon tube to END of carbon tube. OR, END of nock groove to END of carbon tube = 29.5-inches. THIS will tune for you, by adjusting/fine tuning your plunger. You will want to use a plunger to fine tune your group size, for the 900 round.

The Shibuya DX plunger is a classic for beginning Olympic recurve shooters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your thoughful response. The limbs are 29-30 lb. I'm assuming I'm pulling about 28 because of my slightly shorter draw length. And I will certainly look into the SF limbs.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,326 Posts
Thank you for your thoughful response. The limbs are 29-30 lb. I'm assuming I'm pulling about 28 because of my slightly shorter draw length. And I will certainly look into the SF limbs.
Find a scale and get a measurement of the pounds on your fingers. 27-inch draw length, and 30 lb limbs, 28 lbs is a good guess. Better is to use a spring scale, pull to anchor and get a reading on the scale. Do this three times, to get an average.

Grab the handle and pull until the hook and the bowstring reaches anchor. Little awkward, but do-able.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/weston-14-0304-w-50-lb-spring-scale/943140304W.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqtjGBRD8yfi9h42H9YUBEiQAmki5On6smc0nJ4NuCS-cnaFSUXAiymc2gTEqcUptbKMfAzgaAoMo8P8HAQ

·
(aka lug nut)
47,326 Posts

Any advice is welcome.
Quality finger tab, is important. The Cavalier Elite finger tab is another classic, and the cordovan leather face will give you excellent results. The finger spacer can be custom adjusted for a more comfortable fit, using Sugru.

The blue masking tape, was an experiment to custom adjust the thickness of the plate. The orange is the Sugru, I added to custom mold around my finger, on the finger spacer. Super comfy.

Break open the foil pack, start kneading the Sugru, and make a blob. Grab the finger tab, and the Sugru will mold around your finger for a custom fit. Smooth the edges so it looks pretty. The Cordovan needs time to break in. If you use the Cordovan face, just store your tab in a ziploc bag, and the molding (bent curve) will lock in faster. Once the Cordovan face is broken in....NOW, you have to trim the length of the face, to just barely cover the length of your fingertips. Have a more experienced recurve shooter help you with trimming your tab. Go in stages, and trim off a little more each time, to get the length JUST right. Broken in finger tab, with proper length of the face...will improve your scores. The cordovan face is a very smoooth releasing face, and a very fast material (you get a skosh more speed on your arrows).

·
CoyoteRick
196 Posts
Winex riser is awesome! It was my first ILF riser, but I've heard the Winex limbs are a bit lacking. If you're starting it should be fine, but if you're looking to compete you'll realize upper level limbs are always preferable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts