Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad wants a pop up blind for Christmas because he is starting to get too old to climb 25ft in the tree all the time so he wants us to buy him a pop up blind that he can bow hunt in.
What is the best one for under $150 for bow hunting?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
For under $150, I can't say, but...............

Whatever you do, make sure he can sit in it and draw the bow back to full draw without hitting the walls. I bought a Primos T2 and no matter how I sat in it, my right elbow pushed against the back wall while the my left bow hand touched the front window. NOT GOOD! I'm only 6 feet tall with a 30" DL. Primos swapped it out for me for a Dark Horse (extra $ of course) and I LOVE THIS BLIND. They are pricey though.

Just be sure you "try before you buy".

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of dimensions will it take to be able to sit and draw comfortably without hitting walls?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am guessing that would depend on your height and draw length. If you have a shop near by that sells them I would check them out. I know the local Gander Mtn here has some set up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Blind

I have an Ameristep Brickhouse, and it should come in under your price limit. It is large enough (I sit in it with my 15 yr. old son, both with bows), seems reasonably well made, is easy to put up and take down, and, with some brushing in, should go unnoticed.
I'm sure it's not a Rhino or DB, but for the money, I'm more than happy with mine.
Good luck.
Mark

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Bought the Ameristep Bone Collector addition... $199.00 but I sit in it with my son while he bow hunts... plenty of room... plus I like the set up of the windows...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ameristep Bone Collector

Bought the Ameristep Bone Collector addition... $199.00 but I sit in it with my son while he bow hunts... plenty of room... plus I like the set up of the windows...

+2 But I sit in it with my boyfriend and his daughter (16 y/o) and we all have had enough room to BH. Also, love the fact that it has shoot thru camo mesh. But, I was able to catch this blind on sale from Bass Pro for like $169.99. Then if you are military, you can get a 10% discount too. So that would be right in your range.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,303 Posts
might ck out the primos ground max series, they have the escape and the predator at cabelas for about $130 and up? they are 2 diff sizes and i have the escape dlx which is a little larger and quality wise seem to hold up fine.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure he can sit in it and draw the bow back to full draw without hitting the walls. I bought a Primos T2 and no matter how I sat in it, my right elbow pushed against the back wall while the my left bow hand touched the front window. NOT GOOD! I'm only 6 feet tall with a 30" DL. Primos swapped it out for me for a Dark Horse (extra $ of course) and I LOVE THIS BLIND. They are pricey though.

Just be sure you "try before you buy".
The T2 is a little tight, but I like it when I have to go FAR to a set. Many of the Big Box stores have blinds on clearance after the season- a giftcard with the intention of buying later??? Sometimes a "blemished" Matrix shows up on an auction- and a Matrix is the shangrila of blinds!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Double Bull

I have hunted out of a majority of the mid price range blinds that have come out in the last few years and nothing out there compares to the Double Bull. I went through 2 Primos Vision Blinds last deer and turkey season. Also you have to consider the fabric most companies use. Double Bull's is a cotton poly blend that is soft, and very quiet. Most companies go with a much louder material that makes a bunch of noise in any kind of wind. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ameristep brickhouse

RogersSportingGoods.com has a sale on ameristep brickhouse blind right now for $79.99, that is a pretty good deal on this blind. I have used it for the last three years and I think you will like it. I agree that there are probably some better ones out there but they do not fit in your price range of $150.00.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just buy a Lucky's Texas special. Get him a mini My Buddy Heater. He will be good to go. They cost a little more but they will outlast all others. Ive had mine for 10 years and don't regret spending the money. Luckystents.com

1 - 20 of 36 Posts