Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do to help my daughters enjoy archery.My friends & myself have no problem keeping the young boys into archery , but the young ladies seem to move on to other things.My oldest daughter just turned 6 & says she wants to learn to shoot a bow!!!!!I'm so excited!! I never tried to push it on her , she simply told me a couple weeks ago that she would like to try it. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!

Gary

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm no expert on this subject but heres a few ideas that may/may not help you. Try to make shooting as fun for her as possible. Only use positive reinforcement when teaching her to shoot. Try to get some of her friends involved with her - that way she can enjoy shooting with people that she enjoys. Also, if one of the Kicking Bear Camp for Kids comes to your area - it is highly recommended. The kids had a great time (boys and girls) and so did the adults. It consists of a campout, full day of shooting for the kids, food, and prizes for all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just my 2 cents...

Well, my opinion is, first of all...find her a bow that fits her. Its so discouraging when you really want to shoot but your bow is too long or to strong. I have been there, so I can tell...unless you want it really bad, its very hard to go on with a bow that just doesnt feel "right".

Good luck and good shooting,

Didi

·
Registered
251 Posts
FUN!!

It has to be fun if she is not competitive. Hang up balloons, stuff animals. Get her a bow easy to pull and shoot. Even joining a JOAD group at a club. Leave her pick out the COLORs.

Fun is the whole name of the game,,, until she gets to a upper level of shooting,, but still make it fun some times. It can't be all about winning or hitting the target!! Don't force her.. leave he go at her own speed. Sometimes it is easy to get but then you have some that may never get into it.

I am not sure where you are from but the IBO Worlds is being held in Snowshoe WV at the ski resort... there will be plenty of activies going on. They have a kids shoot "future bowhunters" they shoot for fun! It is a great time for the little ones. I am not sure what day it is on. I think Saturday... you can check out there site if you are interested.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another thing that I noticed is that it is difficult for a child to have the parent help them improve their shooting. I don't know why but the advise always seems to work best if it comes from someone other than mom or dad. I have learned that with my son if grandpa helps gives him the same advise I do grandpa is a genious and I am an idiot. I had the same problem taking advise from my dad. Might just have to do with a kid wanting to please their parent so much that they have a hard time accepting help from mom or dad. My suggestion is have someone the child knows or likes from the club or shop help them with their shooting. That leaves more time for dad to just watch and enjoy their kid doing something that they love to do. Always try to keep it fun and don't push the child to be a superstar archer until they are ready to do so.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is interesting because this is something that has happened to me, too. My six-year-old girl is interested in archery as well. I had bought a cheap fiberglass bow for her (and her four-year-old brother). They were both very interested in shooting it but it was difficult for them. My local pro shop owner suggested having some bows made by Stacey Bows. Stacey makes a "Tom Thumb" compound bow for kids (they aren't cheap, though). So, I had two made. We just got them this week, and they are awesome. The girl loves shooting, has great form and hands, and is not bothered in the least if she doesn't hit the bullseye every time. The boy, however, is very much wrapped up in hitting the bullseye (which they rarely do), and gets very frustrated when he doesn't. I think it's a male-female thing.

·
Registered
46,224 Posts
AZ&F"SDaddy

Try having them shoot at balloons. the bigger the better easier for them to shoot bigger balloons at there ages. Good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
another thing

;) We used to bet our son if he hit the balloon we would take him for icecream!! "we were going to anyways" but he shoot till he hit it. You can also start them a bow fund... everytime they hit the bulleye you owe them a nickel (or what ever amount you can do) and put it into a piggy bank; to purchase a new bow. I know my niece understand money and she is 5. Only thing is it is a long time goal and take a while to achieve so make some short ones too... like ice cream.;)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Good advice from all

I too have a daughter that will be twelve very soon. Problem right now is I think she's loosing interest and I think I may be to blame. On this site and on the job I'm a pretty much a big joker as you can read in some of my posts. On the other hand, my Jekyll side I'm pretty hard core when it comes to discipline and being squared away. But when I shoot It's almost as if I expect her to have the same discipline I as I do. I mean, I get to analytical with correcting her and such. I/we have to remember how to keep their interest up or we're going to loose them. I mean the first arrow she ever shot was with the legend Glenn St.Charles at his archery shop over 4 years ago and it was a bulls eye. I need to rekindle that feeling for her again, if I could put that smile from her first arrow in a time capsule it would be priceless! I know what I need to do and have...patience!

DiDi I think you are so correct with your statement about finding the set up that they can handle with out wearing their arms out on. Others have some good ideas with games, ballons and such. I know one thing my girl really enjoyed and that was 3d shoots and we just haven't been to enough of them lately.
Good post
Thanks for the reality check guys/gals

Note: maybe she's ready for a compound...nah:D

Out for now

Sorry I'm not a female, but my wife doesn't shoot

D

·
0 Posts
DIVER DUDE...

...whew!!...saw were you had posted to this thread asking advice from the WOMEN and went WHAT!!!:eek: ...

...glad you added that last line...had me starting to wonder:p ...

...VERY GOOD ADVICE from all:cool: ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Make sure she is shooting at a backstop she can pull her own arrows from EASILY! Nothing wears you out like having to use all your strength to pull every arrow. :) The rest are good ideas in general for any kid - I'm not sure shooting baloons is just for girls ;)

R

·
0 Posts
My girls shot from the age of 5 to 12 then just never wanted to again. but I'm greatful that they did, and learned how too.
Now Rachel (State Champ Spottie) can go to the bow shop with me and know what she's talking about and when I come home and talk about archery,, The WHOLE family has advance;)
and you know what???There always right!!!:)
I don't think I've been right in years,,y'all know that already

The Hood-Lum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts