Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I just picked up a PSE Brute LT with various attachments. This is my first real bow and im just getting into archery. I was just wondering if you all had any advice as to how to practice and what to worry about when starting off. I have an ultimate goal of hunting deer but need to sharpen my skills before i chase a buck. Anything will help. Thank you very much!

·
Shooter of flesh
7,660 Posts
Go somewhere that you can practice with others. Look to the target shooters and ask advice. Unfortunately, hunters tend to have the worst form and habits! Mostly because they just learned by themselves or by others that also learned by themselves. Target shooters work on form...once you have that down, you can still be a hunter. Sorry, that's how I see it!

PS. On a more practical note...don't shoot at a target for a few months...just "blank bale". If you get your form down first, hitting the X is easy.

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Go buy the ultimate form DVD:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shooting-form-dvd-with-dave-cousins-liam-grimwood.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1A-rrvMNTc

And the Beyond NASP DVD from Tim Strickland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8UAmwdLq4
https://archeryintheschools.org/activea.asp?CompID=44&action=ViewProduct&CategoryID=37&ProductID=190

These both helped me heaps.

And have a good read through this... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1399457

A good coach is helpful also. Just beware the teachings of other archers - how do you know if their form is good? You wont until you are halfway decent yourself. There is a lot of subtlety to archery... that's why we love it!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Get your form right , then practice hitting a specific spot . When you start tapping arrows , use a target that has multiple aiming points so you wont damage arrows . If there is a archery club near you find someone that shoots good that can point you in the right direction . Good luck

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Best advice I can think of is to find an experienced archer who can help to teach you.

One of the first mistakes someone who is just starting out makes...they attempt to shoot too heavy a draw weight. You would be surprised at the number of big strong men who thought they could draw a 70lb compound back, only to struggle. You must develop your the muscles and build strength slowly, turning the bow weight up as you gain strength.

Starting out, turn the bow weight down to a level you can draw comfortably.

So far, you have received excellent advise and I will again suggest you find someone to help teach you...

good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
congratulations and welcome to the sport...you'll never be the same! As they said above, form is most important. Take the bow to a good local pro shop and have it set up for you specifically, and then get that form and consistancy down before you worry about anything else. Once you are consistantly grouping arrows, then you can start adjusting your sight and what not. Glad you are commited to learning the bow...instead of just going out and buying a crossbow and heading to the woods like everyone here in MI has been doing the past few years!! (don't get me wrong...I'm glad that more hunters are heading afield, just sort of an easy route to get there)

·
Shooter of flesh
7,660 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the tips! I have some buddies that are seasoned hunters who got me into it. I also have tons of family who hunt too. Would they be good as a "coach", or would i be better off seeking help from a target archery shooter?

·
Shooter of flesh
7,660 Posts
Thanks for all of the tips! I have some buddies that are seasoned hunters who got me into it. I also have tons of family who hunt too. Would they be good as a "coach", or would i be better off seeking help from a target archery shooter?
That depends...I believe target archers to be more students of form, while people that pick up a bow to hunt, just want to hit the lungs. NOW>>>don't get your panties in a wad hunters...this is a very general statement. But, I see many people that come into our shop, and I'm amazed at the number of "hunters" that have the WORST form ever!!! And they don't care!

So, if you're interested in becoming a good shot, learn proper form from target shooters, and it will NOT interfere with becoming a good hunter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Depends... You really only need one person with the right ideas. More useful than lots of people with different ideas. Seriously take a look at the DVD's I mentioned. One features Dave Cousins - arguably the best pro in the world (and Liam Grimwood who ain't shabby either) and the other Tim Strickland who has been world champ and the usa's most successful olympic coach as well as an amazing bowhunter... I doubt your buddies can compete on those levels!

And form isn't the most important thing. Shot execution is the most important. You will hear people talk about back tension release - the name doesn't describe it well at all. Just know that shooting a bow is nothing like firing a gun. With a bow you have to let the sight move (in a particular way) and then allow the shot to go off subconsciously (some call it 'surprise release' but that term is rubbish too)... Hard concepts to explain in writing, well explained in the DVDs.

Form is important too, don't get me wrong... But great shot execution and poor form will likely give better results than great form with poor shot execution.

Confused? You should be - that is why there is so much behind one simple action... Releasing an arrow from a bow.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts