Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here, been wanting to get back into archery for a long time. I just got a bow for my 21st birthday, it's been in my family for as long as I can remember. The string appears to be unravelled at the top, I don't trust it and am just going to get a new one. It's a Browning Nomad Stalker 1, handwritten on the handle is:

AW 7228-1
L60#
52"
AMO

So from this I see it has about a 60 pound draw weight (don't go on telling me that's too much, I was shooting 65# at the age of 13) I'm not sure what type of string to buy, and I don't have any arrows. After doing some research I've decided I want some heavy wooden arrows, about 3 field pointed and 3 broadheads, trying to match them with the same weight, etc so that I will be well practiced when archery season comes later this year. I don't plan on buying anything other than a string and some arrows, I'm on a budget and I'd like to know:

A: How do I find out what length of arrows to buy?
And
B: An online source for an affordable, compatible string.

It would help tremendously if I could get these questions answered ASAP so I can start shooting :)

PS any additional information you could give me on this bow would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to find out how old she is and any other information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention she's a leftie, I can shoot either way but naturally shoot left handed. This is my dream bow. Can someone explain what left and right winged arrows are? And do the make a difference when shooting left handed? I'm used to shooting carbon arrows in a right handed compound bow.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Left wing and right wing denote the origin of the feathers from the bird. Right wing spins the arrows clock-wise, left, counter-clock-wise.
If your dominate eye is the left, then you need to shoot left handed.
So far as the poudge, that is up to you.
Arrow length is best 1" longer than than the front of the bow at the longest you draw it. Arrows can be even longer, depending upon spine and point weights. A long arrow doesn't hurt anything and is easier to cut them down than to try and stretch them.
Look up the 3Rivers Dynamic Spine calculator to find arrows. Same for info on how to tune arrows. Recurves are more fickle about spine than compounds due to the rests and finger release.
Check out the book Shooting the Stick Bow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill! I strung it to take pictures and noticed one of the limbs is slightly twisted. I shot it a few years ago and noticed this, but it didn't seem to be inaccurate. Can that be dangerous?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It could get worse and be a problem. There are a couple of good posts on how to straighten a twisted limb. I have seen a couple using hot water in a tub, then bumping the limbs back into correct orientation. I remember one that Jinkster did.
Fix it and make sure to always use a good bow stringer. It is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing, I figured my draw length at 29.4, from what I have been reading this bow is almost 8 inches too short for me at 52", is this the actual bow size? If so could it be manageable? I might just end up selling or trading it.

·
32,566 Posts
If you can manage it buy Anthony Camera's book "Shooting the Stickbow". It is a Bible for long bows and recurve shooters.....You will learn a lot from him and BTW, on AT he is Viper1.

I've no reason to question your DW, that's up to you and if you have hunting only and not targets or 3-D then its up to you on how much you want to pull back but if you want to do target or 3-D then its a whole new game......I started out with a 45lb bow, it was too much after 10 or so shots. I went to 40lbs, still too much and ended, after listening to the guys here who know what they are talking about, with a 28lb bow and now a 30lb bow.....I don't hunt, just do targets but I can shoot 100 to 200 times a day with little fatigue....I have learned a lot about form and accuracy with the lighter DW......In my youth I could handle the 45lb bows and didn't shoot anything less but all I want to do now is targets.....main thing is to listen to these guys on here, they know their stuff about Trad bows.....good luck and good hunting to ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts