Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my first (archery) elk hunt in Colorado Unit 74 next week. It will be a drop camp hunt so it is essentially unguided. First question is whether it makes sense to buy a mule deer tag. Some friends told me to expect to see a bunch of muley's but they have not hunted this area.

Also open to any other advise. I'm a novice elk hunter and a little concered about the full moon in the middle of my hunt.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I went on my first elk hunt this year. I was unprepared for the trip mentally. I was working out hard and lost 32 lbs but my pack was too heavy and it wore me out quickly. We weren't able to get high enough fast enough. It took us 3 days just to learn where we wanted to hunt, by that point a storm had rolled in and shut the elk down. Point is we gave up on the area too quickly. If I had to do it over I'd have taken less food or split it in two and went back to the truck so I would've had the flexibility to get higher up even if it had taken 2 days. Gotta go to the elk is my thought. I waited 9 months for the trip and it's over before it started. I loved it, but it is over that quick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts