Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 9 yr old son his first bow.. He watches me shoot and has been asking when he could have his own. Ive been shooting since I was a teenager but other than patience, are there any pointers or recommendations you guys can send my way to ease him into shooting properly? Do's and Don'ts, etc.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Don't buy him an expensive bow. That's something that has to be earned via dedication to learning archery. Get him used to working on a consistent form. Everything else is build off of one's foundation and that foundation is the form. Start him off right and get that locked down and he'll be an incredible archer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’d just see how serious he takes it. My son is 11, I’m trying to work on his form a little more now. Trying to get him to open his grip up a little. And he was doing the shoulders back and hips forward thing that a lot of kids seem to do with bows and guns, he’s better with that now. But they’re kids, let him have fun. Plenty of time to tweak later as he gets older and more serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
very cool
What i did for my kiddo was to make every shot a reward.

put a little wire in target to make a cradle/holder
then put a clay pigeon in it, When he hit it they break
much easier than balloons , he love it, on Easter we put an colored egg on a piece of PVC pipe in ground and let him go 'EASTER EGG HUNTING" PUN INTENDED.

After he hit a few, he ask what can i do to shoot better, When THEY ASKED ,then I gave him basic form help and he wanted to learn.
fun fun fun, make the kids want to learn and get better

Help with Grip / bow hand first. it is the hardest bad habit to brake
make sure the bow fits, or form will never be good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make it fun at first. If it is not they will find something else to do. They have to love Archery befor they will put the work in to get better.

Watch GRIV's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ftkL5GcXE&t=2s. It is long but talks about teaching kids. He has some others that are good also.

A lot of good information on this video.. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very cool
What i did for my kiddo was to make every shot a reward.

put a little wire in target to make a cradle/holder
then put a clay pigeon in it, When he hit it they break
much easier than balloons , he love it, on Easter we put an colored egg on a piece of PVC pipe in ground and let him go 'EASTER EGG HUNTING" PUN INTENDED.

After he hit a few, he ask what can i do to shoot better, When THEY ASKED ,then I gave him basic form help and he wanted to learn.
fun fun fun, make the kids want to learn and get better

Help with Grip / bow hand first. it is the hardest bad habit to brake
make sure the bow fits, or form will never be good.
Good stuff right there.. I think that's that plan right now. Just let him enjoy shooting and have fun with it. I won't tinker with form too much early on. Just let him fling some arrows and hope he wants to learn more about the sport and get better at it.. Thanks again for the replies gentlemen!

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,139 Posts
Get him a lesson from a certified instructor. At his age he can learn good form from the start. Bad form leads to bad habits that are hard to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts