Archery Talk Forum banner

Aerial sharpshooting begins and meat being gave away to whoever wants it...

598 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  twisted1600
where do I apply for this job:darkbeer:

Aerial sharpshooting begins March 16

Aerial sharpshooters are set to begin removing deer March 16 in the core area of a bovine tuberculosis outbreak near Skime, Minn., and several wildlife management areas, state forest roads and recreational trails will be closed temporarily to ensure public safety during the operation.

The sharpshooters, contractors working for the Department of Natural Resources, will shoot deer from the air for about two weeks. The aerial campaign supplements the ground shooting effort that began Feb. 16.

An aerial survey in January tallied an estimated 660 deer in the core area, down 18 percent from 2008.

Here’s a look at areas to be closed during the aerial campaign:

WMAs: Golden Valley, Grygla, Hayes, Marbel, Mickinock, Moose River, Skime, Wannaska, Wapiti, portions of Palmville, Red Lake and Thief Lake.

Recreational trails: All trails within Deer Permit Area 101.

State forest roads: Blacks Winner (beginning at Palsburg junction), Morehouse, Neheim, Penturen, North Moose River dike, River Road (beginning at Thomson Road junction), Snow, Stotts, Summer, West Moose River, Winner.

The DNR will reopen closed areas as soon as safety permits. Flights will begin in the northern portion of the TB core area, where forest road closures are involved, so that roads can be reopened as quickly as possible.

The DNR also will issue a limited number of motorized road-use passes to residents and cabin owners affected by the road closures. Permits may be obtained from the DNR at the Warroad or Wannaska, Minn., forestry offices.

Sharpshooting is only being conducted on public lands and on private lands where the landowner has given permission. Anyone interested in obtaining field-dressed deer that show no signs of infection can place their name on a waiting list by contacting Thief Lake WMA office at (218) 222-3747.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,611 Posts
If you find the application process, send it my way too!

· Registered
690 Posts
Just find out what helicopter they will be shooting from, get a uniform like them and just walk on in screaming "I'm late, I'm late, hold the chopper" They will direct you to where you need to be. OR, if thats not your cup of tea, just rent a pilot and chopper of the same model and color and fly around with them shooting yourself. They will think the DNR just added a second helicopter to speed things up. No worries. Happy shooting

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Just find out what helicopter they will be shooting from, get a uniform like them and just walk on in screaming "I'm late, I'm late, hold the chopper"
:set1_rolf2:

· Registered
6,213 Posts
Careful what you wish for. I'll bet most people would be turned off the killing part after about ten deer or so that were totally helpless to get away but you can't quit because you signed up to do it.
It would be like working at a slaughter house.
I'll stick to my tree stand and compound style of hunting.:darkbeer:

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Careful what you wish for. I'll bet most people would be turned off the killing part after about ten deer or so that were totally helpless to get away but you can't quit because you signed up to do it.
It would be like working at a slaughter house.
I'll stick to my tree stand and compound style of hunting.:darkbeer:
You've missed alot of the high fence hunting threads haven't you?;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.