Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am starting to gear up for my first elk hunt next fall and need a decent pair of binoculars. I would like to keep the price below $200, preferably closer to $150. What brands/ products would you recommend for elk. Also what sort of magnification do you suggest. I am not going to have a spotting scope, so I think I want something with a good bit of magnification and the ability to connect to a tripod.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Alpen

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Check out the birding forums bino ratings, and for elk I'd suggest 10 x 42. Older models that are on close out are the way to go...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maven c1s

·
Registered
25,813 Posts
https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5600607

This is another current thread on the same topic and page as yours, OP. "Affordable" is a very relative term, as good optics are going to cost you up front and reward you for years to come. Many of us have bought "affordable" and then found we wanted more. Buying twice or a few times to finally get what you want end up costing more than just saving for a really good pair of glass and being satisfied.

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Vendor
10,991 Posts
I would cut corners on a lot of your gear but not optics. You can't hunt what you can't see and you may spend a lot of time trying to locate a bull you could not really tell what he was only to find out he was not a shooter. You will never regret owning top quality glass. Buy something from Vortex or Swarovski or Zeiss.

·
Catty Shack
12,470 Posts
Per one of the birding forums, the Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky went crazy with a thread on these bins - 500,000+ views and 1500 responses.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793&highlight=sightron+8x32

I keep a pair of them in my truck console and take them to Michigan football games. It is stupid just how good these bins are, they’re like a Swarovski EL clone open bridge design. (I used to have a pair of Swaro EL 8x32). And I have a Leica Ultravid and Zeiss Victory bins as my main bins - the Sightron is an outstanding value for the money.

Looks like they went up a few dollars at Optics Planet but you should be able to call and get 10% off or so. And they offer free shipping and free returns - kinda of an easy way to check them out. They’re at the bottom right in the pic. I had a spare Swaro EL top cap that makes them look taller than they really are.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32-binoculars-rubber-armored.html

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure what some of the other brands offer with warranties, but Vortex has a great warranty and a lot of good options in different price ranges.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,513 Posts
I would cut corners on a lot of your gear but not optics. You can't hunt what you can't see and you may spend a lot of time trying to locate a bull you could not really tell what he was only to find out he was not a shooter. You will never regret owning top quality glass. Buy something from Vortex or Swarovski or Zeiss.
The cheapest binoculars are the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree with others that suggest optics NOT being somewhere to cut corners. Good optics, binos/spotting scope and rifle scope, will absolutely have a direct impact on your hunt. Buy the absolute best you can afford.

Also as others have suggested, Vortex is extremely hard to be beat. Their entry level products are great "bang for your buck" quality and their warranty is second to none. I've been using their 10x42 Razor HD's for several years now and they are incredible. Just remember, if you can't see/find him, you can't shoot him.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have a pair of Leupold Wind River Cascade 10x42s on ebay for sale if you are interested. Current bid is at $78. Great binos. I think they are better than the cheap(er) Vortex offerings. Personal opinion of course.

I just upgraded to some Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x50s, but I've really loved those Wind River Cascades.

·
Huntoholic
1,909 Posts
There is a reason some binos are $250 and some are $2500, if you compare them in the store or in bright daylight, most people won't see much difference, the payday comes in the field during dawn and dusk hours. If I had all the money back I have spent trying to save a buck, I could have bought the best to start with, go figure.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Rogers sporting goods has busnell legend m binoculars on sale for 159$$$ these are the best bang for the buck ! Way better than the vortex !

1 - 20 of 46 Posts