Archery Talk Forum banner

African Safari...

1576 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  mudslinger2
Anyone been to Africa on a bowhunting safari? I guess I am goin in Sept, and wondered what to expect for food, housing, temperatures, and most importantly, what animals to drop? (the list is about 10 strong...maybe a couple more :teeth:)
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
I will have to post some photo's but if you like eating extremely well done meals and having your hunting clothes washed and pressed every day then Africa is the place to be.

· Registered
1,722 Posts
If you are going to a hunting lodge you won't have to worry about anything but shooting straight. I went last July and had a blast. Like stated above, you will get gourmet dinners (all game meat), all your clothes are cleaned and folded and put back in your room every night, and the rooms at the lodge I went to were very nice. September seems a little late but you should do fine. Our summer is their winter and you are going at the end of their winter (September). When I went in July, it was cold in the morning and late at night but not too cold, and everything in between was around 70-80. I had a list of animals that I was hoping to get a shot at and saw every one on my list and more. I was able to take a Kudu, Blue Wildebeast, 2 Impala, a Diuker, and an Eland.

Can't wait to go again. I find myself thinking about it all the time. It is like I have to go again.

PS. go see your doctor and get some sleeping pills for the plane ride. It is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG.

· Registered
512 Posts
PS. go see your doctor and get some sleeping pills for the plane ride. It is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG.[/QUOTE]

I will second that. I was able to shoot a Kudu, Eland, Impala, and a Sable

· Registered
174 Posts
Where are you going (Namibia, Botswana, South Africa)? Who are you hunting with? Namibia and Botswana are going to be similiar for a plains game hunt. South Africa will have the best lodges and accommodations, and possibly a larger selection of game.
I personally consider Kudu, Zebra, Warthog, Impala, and wildebeest to be must haves for anyone who hunts Southern Africa. I hunted in Zimbabwe, and didn't have a chance at Gemsbok/Oryx, so I am going back to Namibia for them and Eland. When hunting in South Africa, keep in mind species like bushbuck and Nyala- they are some of the most beautiful trophies you can take.
The best bit of advice I could offer, is to read a book called "The Perfect Shot" by Dr. Kevin Robertson. Great diagrams on kill zones, but it also has photos of alot of the plains game species, to help fill out your "wish list".

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to post some photo's but if you like eating extremely well done meals and having your hunting clothes washed and pressed every day then Africa is the place to be.
I'd love some pics... and to know where in AF you went.
ill let ya know in a couple months, i go in late may..
Where did you book into?
I had a list of animals that I was hoping to get a shot at and saw every one on my list and more. I was able to take a Kudu, Blue Wildebeast, 2 Impala, a Diuker, and an Eland.
Can't wait to go again. I find myself thinking about it all the time. It is like I have to go again.
Pics you could send me?
PS. go see your doctor and get some sleeping pills for the plane ride. It is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG.
So I have heard......

Pics are worth a 1000 words
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=713441
Might be going over to do a seminar this year if not we have another hunt booked for the following year. Take a look at the pics and I'm free to answer any questions any time.
Thanks Mike, I will definitely go looking...and asking later...where/who did you book with?

Where are you going (Namibia, Botswana, South Africa)? Trying to nail that down... have to decide in less than a week:mg:Who are you hunting with? Namibia and Botswana are going to be similiar for a plains game hunt. South Africa will have the best lodges and accommodations, and possibly a larger selection of game. I personally consider Kudu, Zebra, Warthog, Impala, and wildebeest to be must haves for anyone who hunts Southern Africa. I hunted in Zimbabwe, and didn't have a chance at Gemsbok/Oryx, so I am going back to Namibia for them and Eland. When hunting in South Africa, keep in mind species like bushbuck and Nyala- they are some of the most beautiful trophies you can take. The best bit of advice I could offer, is to read a book called "The Perfect Shot" by Dr. Kevin Robertson. Great diagrams on kill zones, but it also has photos of alot of the plains game species, to help fill out your "wish list".
Hilighted are all on the considered list if shots present... I think 10 or so animals will be coming back if we can make it happen...12-14 days will be fast kill...er harvesting action...Thanks guys...
Anyone else?

· Registered
174 Posts
One of the most well known/well marketed bowhunting outfitters in SA is Dries Visser- that would be a good place to start. In Namibia, Allan Cilliers is a long time bowhunting outfitter. Also in Namibia is a guy named Christie De Souza (www.christiesadv.com). Christy is actually the outfitter I have chosen to hunt with after this economic downturn sudsides.
If you hunt Namibia, I wouldn't plan on hunting Nyala or Bushbusk- few places have them, and even the ones that do are not thick with them.
Before you book, I would join the forums at accurate reloading. They have an excellent hunt review section for Africa and you can search for your particular outfitter- they may have a review that would help. You can also order reviews from the hunting report. You have to pay for those, but it's a small price considering the cost of your hunt.

· Registered
290 Posts
Africa is a wonderful place. You'll have great food, people, and most importantly, fantastic hunting. Almost everyone I've talked to that has gone plans on returning (myself included).

· Registered
1,686 Posts
This is just fair warning, if you go you will definitely want to go back. We went in Sept this past year in the Limpopo Province and the weather was great. Hunted the 7th thru the 16th and had clear days for 8 of the 10 we were there and the other 2 were just a little cloudy. Cool in the AM and warmer in the evening. We both had "list" too, but they all went out the window aas soon as we crawled in the hide. We shot 17 animals in 10 days between the 2 of us and brought back 15 (lost 2). I personally shot an Impala, Blesbock, Red Hartebeest, Gemsbock, Blue Wildebeest and Eland and lost a huge Kudu and Warthog. My hunting buddy killed 9 and brought back all 9. We have a return trip for Sept 2010 with the same PH, Harry Nel of African Arrow Safaris, the same one that Mike Carter "Crackers" has gone with. Listen to your PH, if he is worth his salt then he will tell you what animal to shoot, when to shoot and were to place the shot. Shot placement on African palins game is a lot different than game animals over here. The thing I liked about this place I went was it is a bowhunting ranch only and on the Kudu you will not kill one under 50" and you will have a shot at a Kudu better than 50". Unbelivable place, they will spoil you rotten. Get ready to eat, sleep and shoot!

· Registered
14 Posts
MightElk man.
I live in the Elk Capital of the World. Gunnison Colorado. I went in Aug 2009 and loved it. Now I partners with the outfitter I went too. I can answer all your questions. Sept will be there spring to us. mid 70s day high 50s night. The beef there is grass feed so its tougher then your used too. But all and all the food should be great. Our lodge is rated 5 star by African Tourism. www.wildafricasafaaris.net is my web address. My contact info is on there if you need more questions answered

· The Godfather
7,310 Posts
mudslinger2 you going back this year that's great. I have the Harry's booked for a couple weeks in 2011. Also will be giving a seminar at Archers Edge owned by a friend of mine Redge Grant and will be doing a hunt for Cape...going to be a blast.

Any one interested in going where mudslinger2 and I went feel free to contact me for info or booking

· Registered
680 Posts
I am going to South Africa in August and will be hunting with Limcroma Safaris. If you need any info. contact Savuka on Archery Talk. They have the best rates I have found. Good Luck on your hunt.

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Mike, I am going back this Sept, hunt starts on Sept 20 for more plains game and if you can believe it, I bought another one of his donated hunts at the RMEF Elk Camp in Reno this past weekend and we are looking at a lioness hunt in 2012. I just can't get enough of the hunting with Harry. We will probably go about a week earlier in 2012 to do some touring with Deidre either before or after the hunt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.