Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a doe yesterday morning on one of my favorite climbing trees. She went about 60-70 yrds, not much of a bloodtrail as it was a high shoulder hit, no exit. When found she was lying with the hole up so no blood there either. I didn't disturb the area much, just drug her out and got out of there.
Lots of acorns in there right now and the deer and pigs are tearing it up. Is a week long enough to wait to go back in there? Would like to hit it again Saturday for some more freezer meat.

·
203 4/8 non-typical
12,088 Posts
I shot a doe yesterday morning on one of my favorite climbing trees. She went about 60-70 yrds, not much of a bloodtrail as it was a high shoulder hit, no exit. When found she was lying with the hole up so no blood there either. I didn't disturb the area much, just drug her out and got out of there.
Lots of acorns in there right now and the deer and pigs are tearing it up. Is a week long enough to wait to go back in there? Would like to hit it again Saturday for some more freezer meat.
I shot a nice buck in pike co illinois 2 years ago in the morning,my buddy hunted about 60 yds from me that evening shot a buck.marginal hit left it go over night told my cousin to hunt there in morning he declined thought to much had gone on there for one day.we sat in a truck watching the field at daylight before we went in and there was 4 bucks chasing 2 does at daybreak.no need to wait

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Depending on area I guess, but next day should be fine, especially bow hunting.
Just this year , we shot ( Gun deer season )a young buck basket 6 point late afternoon one day. Next morning, 7:40am, i shot a nice 11 pointer. We hunt on our own private land. Our camp was within 100 yards of the stand used for these kills. Both deer were within bow range too, but unfortunately I did not have my bow with me on stand.

·
Back down to ground level
16,111 Posts
I'll bet deer have been back in there since you left, especially if they are hitting it as hard as you say. Personally, I don't hunt the same spot more than a few times a year. So if I shoot one in a spot, I go to see what another place holds, and may not go back there for a year or more.

·
Vendor
25,145 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
My dad once killed 3 does, three mornings in a row from same tree. First day I heard three wheeler coming...ohh maybe he shot something! Secondary day...hear three wheeler coming...surely not again! Third morning heard three wheeler so I met him at trail! Ever since that I have never hesitated to hunt a stand after a kill.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Keep hunting. Last fall I shot a 4 year old 8pt on my stand at 8am. Deer went 60 yards and fell within sight. Field dressed it right there. The same day at 4pm my buddy shot a bigger 8pt off the same stand. Gut piles were 50 yards apart.

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
If it's a hot set keep dumping deer from it.

I made that mistake last year. The last weekend of the season, which ends on the first Sunday in February, I dumped a doe Saturday evening. I was in the woods a few hours after dark with my deer cart, making all kinds of noise. Figgered there's no way in hell my 150" target buck was gonna be anywhere around after the ruckus I made. The next morning-last day of the year to hunt-my dumb ass slept in.

Guess who was the first deer past that set at 8am the next day? Lesson learned.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Immediately. I've shot deer lots of times and just stayed on the stand for an hour or three depending on weather and many, many times see more deer almost immediately. We often give them too much credit for being super savvy. They use instincts a lot but reasoning not so much.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, gotta work but will be back Saturday morning

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, gotta work but will be back Saturday morning

·
Registered
845 Posts
If it were during the rut, I would have drug her butt back to a 15-yard open shot and used her for bait. I have many times shot more than one deer from the same tree in the same day. No big deal. Deer have been known to follow a blood trail and actually eat the gut pile. Don't worry, just hunt. https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...hUDbiYKHV5oCJIQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=Q_7aVeOqRqY9pM:
Pretty sure they are NOT eating the gut pile... They are just curious, as deer are.

I would hunt the spot again asap.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
If dragging them out I drag them a little ways away before gutting and go right back to hunting the area.
I did a gutless method on a buck this year and then right back an hunted it for bear. The deer that came thru were totally freaked out over the carcass remains.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I’ve had deer come in sniff the dead one under the stand. Had them come in and sniff the bloody arrow stick in the ground 30 minutes later. Don’t sweat it if it’s a good spot it will be fine. I put a cam on gut pil years ago deer ended up eating the corn and grass out of the stomach once the raccoons and crows tore it open exposing it. Get out there and enjoy the fresh air!!!

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I've had deer smell my arrow, stuck in the ground after a pass through. Had a buck try to get a doe to stand up that I had just shot. After he walked over the hill, I climbed down and snuck over the hill and he was standing at 35yds, looking away. Drilled him, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts