Archery Talk Forum banner

after you debone??

532 10
i want to start butchering my own deer this year. with the going price around here being $100 for the process and i have to many tags to fill...i will be broke!!

i have studied this....
http://btreviews.proboards57.com/ind...ay&thread=3013

but i have some questions....

1. how do you cut the steaks or loins after the debone process??

2. do you freeze in individual packages or as whole pieces of meat??

3. i want to purchase a vacuum sealer...what one is good for home use and is reasonably priced??

any other suggestions or picture links would be great

PA:darkbeer:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Heres what I do.

Backstraps cut into about 6" lenghths (1 meal), frozen individually. We cut into steaks later. The less surface area exposed, the better the meat.

3 roasts on the hind q's, rump (duh), flank (outside roast) and p.roast (inner roast). Each frozen seperately.

Front shoulders all ground. Sometimes at the time of processing, sometimes I bag them up in ziplocs to grind later. You can refreeze up to 3 times.

Choice scraps for stew meat.

Foodsaver makes the best vacuum sealer, buy the best you can afford, cheaper ones will not last a season. (Even the cheaper "Foodsaver" will not last).

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a meat slicer and like to make some thin sandwich steaks. They are good fried up in butter. Take the deboned hind quarters and put them in a plastic bag and put in the freezer until the meat starts getting stiff but not frozen. It is much easier to cut steaks of any width with a knife or slicer once it has stiffened.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
Heres what I do.

Backstraps cut into about 6" lenghths (1 meal), frozen individually. We cut into steaks later. The less surface area exposed, the better the meat.

3 roasts on the hind q's, rump (duh), flank (outside roast) and p.roast (inner roast). Each frozen seperately.

Front shoulders all ground. Sometimes at the time of processing, sometimes I bag them up in ziplocs to grind later. You can refreeze up to 3 times.

Choice scraps for stew meat.

Foodsaver makes the best vacuum sealer, buy the best you can afford, cheaper ones will not last a season. (Even the cheaper "Foodsaver" will not last).
This is pretty much the way I cut up my deer. The only difference is, I'm cheap and don't own a vacuum sealer. I put the steaks and roasts in a quality zip-loc freezer bag squeezing out all the air I can. Then I put that bag inside another freezer bag, again squeezing out the air.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
You don't need a grinder either. My butcher grinds mine for really cheap. Some years he has only charged me for the fat he mixes in. He just bulk packs it in a box, I pick it up and vacuum seal it myself. The vacuum sealer is a great investment.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
This is pretty much the way I cut up my deer. The only difference is, I'm cheap and don't own a vacuum sealer. I put the steaks and roasts in a quality zip-loc freezer bag squeezing out all the air I can. Then I put that bag inside another freezer bag, again squeezing out the air.
Double ziploc works very well. I have done it after burning up a vacuum sealer, or when out of bags.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to the Wild game cooking section of this forum. there is a sticky there that shows every thing. its called butchering a deer or processing a deer.
thats the thread i was referring too....

my question is how to cut the meat after you have it deboned?

how to butterfly the steaks?? which pieces do you cut for steaks and which ones are for the grinder??

it the thread you are talking about....he freezes large roasts of meat...and i dont want to have to defrost it everytime i want to cook some steaks...you know what i mean??

i want to be able to package exactly what i think my GF and I could eat in a sitting. taking the guess work out of it!

thanks for the suggestions so far guys. going to Cabelas this weekend to get stuff...hopefully start on a doe next weekend

· Registered
6,142 Posts
butterflying is very simple. when you get the loins out all you have to do is cut into about 1- 1 1/2 inch steaks. then take those steaks and cut them again but not the whole way through leaving a little bit of meat to connect the two halves at the bottom. open 'er up and there you go. sorry no camera for pics other wise i would. im just about to cut up some steaks in a few minutes:wink:

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I cut up the doe my boy shot with a flilntlock in January. It was my first try at processing. Took it right home and hung it in the garage and skinned it while it was still warm. The skin came off almost as easy as peeling a banana. Quartered it and put it in the garage fridge and cut it up when I felt like it. My boy wanted a lot of jerky. That was a bit time consuming, but not terrible. Luckily, I have a meat slicer.

A friend had a processing video. It was worth watching.

Not all that difficult to do. Skin it before it cools off. I have helped skin deer that have been hanging till it was cold. That is a job compared to a warm carcass. Having an extra fridge for the quarters makes the job much easier.

Good luck,

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.