Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my season starts tomorrow and it is supposed to rain in the afternoon but not in the morning. I have a spot with some apple trees that has a little sign around it. I was planning on hunting it in the afternoon. Do you think it would be good to hunt that in the morning? Thanks for your help.

Chris

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Most prefer to hunt near bedding in the morning and food in the evening but you can hunt food in the morning as well. Only thing is you might bump deer going in and most of the activity will be early. I say hunt if you don't have another good morning stand.

What I find a good combination is food near a bedding area. Deer come in mid morning just before bedding, makes for a great hunt.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
woodsman2230,
Depending on the area, I would save the apple area for an evening hunt. :nod:

It's supposed to rain here too. :rant: I'm going to play it by ear and see what the weather does. :decision: However, I do NOT bowhunt in the rain! :hand: It's not the getting wet part, rather the losing the blood trail part that bothers me the most.

On another note: Your birth day date is the same as mine. However the year is as far as the east is from the west. :chortle: You were born in '86 and I was born in '57. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
33,181 Posts
My 2 cents, I experience a lot of action in the rain. A light drizzle is perfect. You can't keep me out of the woods then.:wink: The most action I have ever seen in the woods wa right before a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
i love hunting in the pouring rain. last year i got 3 deer in 2 days in the worst days of the year. i only take the best shots because the blood is thin and hard to find. you have to look soon or else the blood is gone even if the rain is over. good luck o your opening day hunt.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I strongly agree with the last couple guys about hunting in the rain or preferably right after a good rain.I always see a ton of deer movement at these times.As far as the apple tree,I would try to hunt it in the evening and if it was raining a little bit that would be all the better.That would be a spot I would save until conditiions were just right and then I'd slip in there with bad intentions when I caught it right.Meaning:get there early and sit til dark if the wind is good.Any fruit trees are a real good bet this time of year.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Killed my biggest buck ever in the rain. I remember sitting in my stand thinking, " why am I sitting in this rain when I could be home warm, dry and comfortable?" Three minutes later I'm watching the buck tip over at 70 yards after sending a Snyper thru both his lungs!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would probably leave the apples for the evening. Can't get into my stands over food plots(feeding areas) in the morning because no matter how early I go out the deer are already there. I just spook them and they're usually gone for the morning. I prefer to look for trails about 200 yards off the feeding areas and wait and hope they come my way. Have had good luck this way. In the afternoon I would be back in the apples. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts