Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of the 2, which is more readily available to the soil the quickest??

Logic tells me the Ag Lime(powder form) would be because it appears to be already closer to dissolving, but I have heard from many different sources that the pelletized will be more readily available quicker.

So which is it??

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm in no way an expert on the matter, but from what I've gathered:

Pellet lime works quicker, but only lasts 1 year.

AgLime lasts longer, but takes 1-2 years to fully affect the soil.

I'm adding both to a food plot I started this season.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pellet is about twice the price, spreads like a dream, and gives results within a couple months.

powdered- terrible to spread w/o the right equipment, works slower, lasts longer, a lot cheaper.

I usually get powdered lime delivered for a new plot, but the truckload, then every year I will add about 100lb/ acre of pellet.

Works for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The above info is the basic gist of it.

Check around at some of your local fertilizer blend plants (where farmers get there fertilizer) they may have pell lime in bulk. Around here they do and its alot cheaper than buying it 50lbs at a time. Unless you have the equipment or you are having it spread i would go with pelleted.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
wo wo your saying that powdered lime that is already broken down and crushed to the next point is going to break down slower? well thats not what ive been told by about 20 different feedmills. the finer it is the faster it will work into the soil and the larger it is like pelletized lime will take longer. correct me if im wrong but this is what ive read and heard from all the AG feed mills

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
He is right, pellet lime reacts faster, but does't last as long.
now that i think about it he wasnt comparing pelletized to barn lime he was comparring barn lime which is larger to farm ag lime which is very fine. he said they come from the same compound just have different Grit and Size. but the finer lime(AG lime) would work faster than the courser (Barn Lime) lmk what you think thanks

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
wo wo your saying that powdered lime that is already broken down and crushed to the next point is going to break down slower? well thats not what ive been told by about 20 different feedmills. the finer it is the faster it will work into the soil and the larger it is like pelletized lime will take longer. correct me if im wrong but this is what ive read and heard from all the AG feed mills
Your right and wrong. Bagged pelletized lime is different then bagged pulverized lime (typ, 85-90 agg lime). Typically if your buying bulk from a CO OP you are getting 85-90 agg lime which takes linger to work but last longer. The pellet usually are short term deal. So basically your not comparing the same thing when it comes to bagged lime.

PS. I'm no expert, but that is what I was told by CO OP.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm not sure what barn lime is like, never used it, but that makes sense. It comes down to partical size. Pelletized lime is actually made up of finer particals than ag lime, but then "glued" into pellets. That's why it reacts faster than ag lime.
Joesandi is right, there's also a difference in neutralizing values of different limes that complicates tings even more. :D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm not sure what barn lime is like, never used it, but that makes sense. It comes down to partical size. Pelletized lime is actually made up of finer particals than ag lime, but then "glued" into pellets. That's why it reacts faster than ag lime.
Joesandi is right, there's also a difference in neutralizing values of different limes that complicates tings even more. :D
k im just making sure thanks again guys for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts