Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had pictures of this buck out in shooting light in the past two weeks, in these pics it was right around noon. The first pics werent that great and all i could tell was that he was a decent deer missing half his rack, I know this happened recently because i have pics of him with both side no more than a week or two prior to the pics from last week.

I'm hoping that theres a larger buck around that broke that half off while fighting but I'm not sure if I could pass this guy up if i had the chance. I shot a good 8 pointer earlier in the season so i won't get skunked but it would be nice to fill both of my buck tags.

He looks like he's up there in age and possibly on the decline, but I wouldn't saying aging deer is my strong suit. What do you guys think?

PRMS1008.jpg PRMS1007.jpg

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked back at my pictures and I definitely have pictures of him around thanksgiving with both sides his right side is definitely newly broken

·
Born yank raised south
17,090 Posts
He is a mature buck and looks at least 4 but probably 5. If he was my biggest I would definitely shoot him regardless of the broken rack.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd let him walk with that broken beam. Even if he is on the decline and has a smaller rack next year it would be even more of a trophy with his age.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,231 Posts
Shoot him if you want. Don't let us decide for you.

Personally, I'd shoot.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would guess him at around 3 1/2 yrs old. Does not have the pot belly or sloped back of an older deer. (at least from that angle)

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you know he isn't a cull given that he had a good rack earlier, wait till next year, let him spread those genes one more year, then shoot him with a full rack

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
His face looks like hes 20 yrs. old . Droopy eyes and grey up the face. If you need meat shoot him .

·
Registered
287 Posts
He is definitely mature but I wouldn't shoot him just because his rake is broke.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
why wouldn't you shoot a nice tender doe?
Why ask why ? I shoot everything , steaks are just as good as any deer imo . OP wanted to know not me. Kill'em all and eat well , will he be more tender next year ? Will he just keep the shoulder mount ?
Its entirely up to the OP not AT members on his decision , either way - yummy .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Smoke him

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
It's your call.
Personally, I would let him walk due to the main beam being broke.
He's a mature 4.5+ deer.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll probably let him walk. I'm more curious to hear estimations of his age more than anything. I shot a buck that went 190lbs dressed earlier in the season so meats not an issue. I wouldnt mind putting one more deer in the freezer but I'd rather shoot a doe before a small buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts