Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably sounds like a stupid question to ask but how should I be aiming with a compound bow for target?

I've had a long battle with target panic that has seen me experience every possible bi product and effect. To try and control it I've blank baled, used BT releases, perfected drive by shooting, used dots, big circles, nothing at all on the scope and while I have not twitched and missed the target for a long time now, I still have the problem of freezing over the gold around the 4 ring and just can't bring it down. If I try to come up from underneath I'll go past the gold and lock above it again. I can get a really good lock on the four ring and feel like I could hold there all day.

To actually bring the sight down where it belongs i.e. on the gold I sometimes wait until my arms get tired and then punch on the way down, I've tried bending at the waist as for a field shot or I just force the arm down somehow and almost punch the shot when I see gold.

Bending from the waist is probably not good because it upsets my form? Drive by shooting can get me some good scores but can result in 4 arrows in the 10 and one above and one below gold, around the 7 or 8 ring.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bow arm down consistently please?

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
TP sucks!!! I'm going through a tough case of it right now also, but mine is different. I can hold on the x like there's no tomorrow, but I CANNOT get my hinge release to go off and end up punching it after I can't hold it anymore.

VERY DEPRESSING!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The thing that helped me the most was shooting at a blank bale with my eyes closed. Instead of aiming, I found myself worrying about when the shot was going to happen. You can't aim and think about the release fireing at the same time. It's impossible! Can't be done!
Stand close to the bale. Draw and point your arrow at the bale. Don't even think about aiming. Close your eyes. Some people picture and X in their mind, but I try to think about nothing at all except relaxing while going through the mechanics of fireing the release. I do not concentrate on fireing the release at all. I just let it happen. I do this until fireing the release becomes second nature. By doing this, I can consentrate solely on aiming, when the time comes, and not when the release goes off, because I know it will happen.
Getting the release out of my head has helped me a lot. I can hold on the X better than ever. I use my blind baling drill often. It helps me to relax and free my mind while waiting for the shot to happen.
One other thing, when the shot goes off, don't immediately open your eyes to see where the arrow hit. It doesn't matter. You are not aiming anyway. Just hold your form for a second or two, and repeat the process.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I have had the same problem before, I would be bringing my pin up to the bullseye and would punch the trigger just below it which is the cause of target panic, what helps me is to just keep calm and steady when I go out and shoot and to tell my self to not shoot until the pin is on the bullseye. Maybe you're taking too much time and by the time you decide to shoot you are getting tired, I have had that problem sometimes, I would take so much time that my arm would be shaking, I would be drawn back for more than 10 seconds and then shoot, and that would cause me to jerk my bow or something due to my arm being worn out.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
TP sucks!!! I'm going through a tough case of it right now also, but mine is different. I can hold on the x like there's no tomorrow, but I CANNOT get my hinge release to go off and end up punching it after I can't hold it anymore.

VERY DEPRESSING!
pull, pull,pull,pull,aim,aim,aim,aim,pull,pull,pull,pullaim,aim,aimaim until the release goes off don't force the shot, you have to let it happen! if the shot hasn't gone off by the time you feel it should have you need to let down and start over.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Probably sounds like a stupid question to ask but how should I be aiming with a compound bow for target?

I've had a long battle with target panic that has seen me experience every possible bi product and effect. To try and control it I've blank baled, used BT releases, perfected drive by shooting, used dots, big circles, nothing at all on the scope and while I have not twitched and missed the target for a long time now, I still have the problem of freezing over the gold around the 4 ring and just can't bring it down. If I try to come up from underneath I'll go past the gold and lock above it again. I can get a really good lock on the four ring and feel like I could hold there all day.

To actually bring the sight down where it belongs i.e. on the gold I sometimes wait until my arms get tired and then punch on the way down, I've tried bending at the waist as for a field shot or I just force the arm down somehow and almost punch the shot when I see gold.

Bending from the waist is probably not good because it upsets my form? Drive by shooting can get me some good scores but can result in 4 arrows in the 10 and one above and one below gold, around the 7 or 8 ring.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bow arm down consistently please?

I know exactly what you are experiencing except I come up from the bottom and freeze low. It is not something that changing release styles will help. I would do it even with a hinge. It is all in the mind. Every time a shot is done like this it just reinforces the bad habit. I believe the answer is to practice aiming for a while and not shooting. I have to tell myself "you are not going to shoot until that pin is where I want it" and then doing it. If it happens let down re-focus and start over. I tell myself to get the pin on target as quickly as possible then when I do the pin will settle down and float around the spot.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If you're still freezing below you haven't mastered back tension yet. Go back to the basics and learn BT its the best way to beat it I know same thing I would freeze high. Bought a carter squeeze me and now I can hold dead center and just wait for the release to go and nail the x. Its a great feeling, almost undescribable to explain to someone until they experience it. Until I learned BT I had shot a bow the wrong was for 10 yrs, I'll recommend it to everyone I meet in archery.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
If you're still freezing below you haven't mastered back tension yet. Go back to the basics and learn BT its the best way to beat it I know same thing I would freeze high. Bought a carter squeeze me and now I can hold dead center and just wait for the release to go and nail the x. Its a great feeling, almost undescribable to explain to someone until they experience it. Until I learned BT I had shot a bow the wrong was for 10 yrs, I'll recommend it to everyone I meet in archery.
Believe me I know how to shoot BT. When I first started using one I learned from a Dave Cousins seminar and he confirmed I was executing properly.

This is something that is purely psychological. Jay Kidwell has a good book explaining this called Instinctive Archery Insights.

Hope you never have to deal with this cause it's worse.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
TP, freezing, drive bys...I think the root cause for all our shooting problems occur for 2 reasons. 1 improperly fitting equipment. 2 Failure to maintain relaxed bow and release hands. I shoot BT, thumb, and trigger style releases,...all shot through back tension. The most common issue that I have experienced is tension is the hands that will slightly alter form and sight picture, which engages the brain...which should be aiming...might as well let down and try again. Overaiming is the second biggest problem, which many times causes tension. Shot routine and follow through need to be automatic.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,401 Posts
Try just drawing back and holding knowing your not going to release. It is your subconsious thats killing you. Once you draw back just hold knowing your not releasing you will be able to get your pin on target then hold it there as long as you can let down and repeat. Your trying to retrain your brain that you can get the pin there and keep it there. Ive been in your shoes as many of us have and you will get over it it just takes time keep on it

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Believe me I know how to shoot BT. When I first started using one I learned from a Dave Cousins seminar and he confirmed I was executing properly.

This is something that is purely psychological. Jay Kidwell has a good book explaining this called Instinctive Archery Insights.

Hope you never have to deal with this cause it's worse.
Yep. Many guys have good everything else but are freaked out by the x and cannot hold on it. It's a tough game to beat yourself...

I'd start up close an work on holding on the x and making clean releases. Slowly ease your way back to your desired distance only after perfecting the previous one

·
Registered
218 Posts
Trust me

I had it for years There is a release called the "ANSWER" You cant punch it and you will get tried of letting bow down and starting all over and learn to shoot.. Plus i found that the more you fight it the worse you will get..Relax put some fun back into shooting and it "WILL" get better...Shoot the answer the rest of your days and when you hunt switch to same type of release and you will hold your hunting release on target for as long as you want...Good luck...Also give up "X" shooting for awhile Jim, Ohio

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Yep. Many guys have good everything else but are freaked out by the x and cannot hold on it. It's a tough game to beat yourself...

I'd start up close an work on holding on the x and making clean releases. Slowly ease your way back to your desired distance only after perfecting the previous one
I'm glad this thread came up cause it inspired me to go back and read the section on curing the "premature hold" as Jay puts it in his book. I haven't been doing the correct drills he recommends so I did it for a while last night at work and today before going out and trying it at 20 yards. One thing I also remembered from the DC seminar I went to where he said to start your aim and BT as soon as you start the draw so I started looking through the scope at the target and trying to keep the pin somewhere close to my spot then doing the drill and "bam" I locked right on the spot and was able to make a clean shot. Wahoo! it works.

The book is a great investment. Just read it carefully and follow the drills to a T.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Try holding on the X for 5 seconds (counting in your head) and then let it down. Do this until it's not a problem, and then go back to releasing your arrow on approx. the 3 count. If you get to 5 let down and start over. This will help program your brain that at 5 it's time to let down. I will warn you that for most the response is immediate but lost just as quick if you don't do this during warm up and make an hour training session weekly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If the panic is induced by the pin being too high then what needs to be fixed is your peep height. Chances are the peep is too high which is the opposite of holding low per this training video. Alistair has many good videos to watch You need to find your natural bow position to include how you use your peep and sights. Once you lock all this in the induced panic should calm down as the bow tends to hold more naturally where you need it to be. Also, don't forget to adjust your aimpoint by bending at the waist so that your total upper body form doesn't change which allows you to hold.

http://www.performance-archery.tv/?q=node/78

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks very much for the input folks. You've given me lots of things to think about and try that I haven't tried so far. Can't wait to try some of these ideas and suggestions. First thing I'm going to try is dropping the peep sight height as I can seem to hold high and steady for a long time and it is just when I try to move down that the problems start. Cheers, Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts