Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been concerned about proper aiming technique since I started shooting. Here's my problem... According to many you are supposed to stare a hole in your target. I'd like to know how you do that when the pin, dot, fiber, etc. is in between you and your spot? I have always been distracted by the dot, etc.

No I'm not kidding... I've never been able to fully understand this one. My mind wants to move the dot out of the way in order to see the target.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Burning a hole

Some pros suggest the same thing... It was suggested that if you were to put the fiber underneth the spot or focal point rather then covering it, it could be accomplished...I have experienced this personally in 3d and it has really helped my scores as well as a mental boost....I shoot this same way in spots and didn't have much problem with this technique...my spot shooting is weak at this time however I will continue to use this method rather then covering the spot....

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Paul,
This is only 1 opinion.
Istarted out using a boss scope afew yrs. ago,and it had the
fiber drilled center.
Nowadays,I like my 1" dia. scopes /black dot for any paper events anyway.
With my 1/16th #2 superpeep clarifier.There isn't much too see except target.I've gotten to trust my built in centering mechanism
(sears&roebuck-29.95) ..........then I do nothing but try to let the dot find center.Of coarse this has added to letting down a little more,but my shot/score has been on the rise since.
Lots of ideas on this one,and I know you have heard mine by many others here.
The explanation,as near as I can tell is that I cant see much else
but target, and it seemed to help my cocentration while aiming.
What size scope housings and clarifier (or peep)size co-ordinated
together was a big gain for me..................3-d on the other hand?
Well,I'll just say that I'm glad I kept the 1 3/4 scope in my little shop.
Good luck,
Jerry lee Wright

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
EPLC;

Toss the dot/fibre, and get a ring. You just have to train yourself to stare at your point of focus (x) on the target regardless of the dot/fiber/ring movement.

...Blank your mind---let you entire concentration into the point of focus...let your release melt into your hand--- build gradual tension in your rhomboid...allow the release execution to be a complete suprise---and confidently send the arrow into the point of focus...

;)

EPLC-->............ (x))
EPLC-->........... ((x)
EPLC-->........... ((x))
EPLC-->............ (x))
EPLC-->........... ((x)
EPLC ---------> ((x))
EPLC -------------x

;)

-CG

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Just line up the rings. Peep, pin and target.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
paul, i thought you were using that truespot with .378 grind at 6x. that would eliminate the dot or pin problem. bolt that baby back on...problem solved.;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Paul,
This is just my opinion, but give it some thought. I think one of the main causes of tension in the shot, and the start of TP, is over-aiming. It seems that when you try to aim "at the X" instead of "in the middle of the SPOT" you will try to look past the dot in your scope.

I would suggest using a non-clarifying peep so the scope will be slightly blurry. Then I like a two colored dot and try to focus on the middle dot (black with a yellow center for indoors, and orange with a green center for outdoors). Shooting this way is much more relaxing, and the shots are easier to duplicate exactly the same without any aiming apprehention.

If you insist on focusing on the "x" I would suggest you use a clarifier and a ring instead of a dot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree with you and Oxford. It just isn't natural to cover up what you're trying to look at. I went from a dot to a ring (better) and finally to a lens alone (Britesite X View). It's a little disconcerting at first, but all you do is look at the dot or X and trust your shot. A warning though, if you go back and forth you will drive yourself nuts. I tried shooting a dot/ring combo on another scope I have and HATED it.

·
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, this is good stuff. As far as rings go, they really freek me out... I'm all over the place with them, don't know why but they just do. I don't have any problem with the TrueSpot but that lens is really limited to spot shooting and I really won't be doing much of that until fall. I haven't ruled rings out, I just can't go there now as most of my lens are center drilled.

So I'm left with a dot or fiber to play with. If I'm hearing some of you correctly you focus on the dot more than the target? What I have been doing lately is "looking" at my target while trying to just let the dot float and not force it. This has been working out really well for me when I can just trust it. Still the dot seems to get in the way and I tend to look around it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
eplc,
i've always had the same problem( with a dot). i switched to a ring last winter and after a short while of being" all over the place" as you put it, i settled down and started shooting allot better. i would physically move the dot away from the x to see the x and it would be a vicious circle of movement untill the bow goes off, much the same as you're probably experiencing. it got to the point that i would settle in right under the x and then push the bow up just as i knew it was going to go off.... you can imagine the results! try a ring and give it a while ( a few weeks) now when i put a scope on with a dot ,as for 3d, it starts out good and within a few shots, i am back to trying to see the x again. then when i put a ringed scope back on, i'm all over the place for a few shots and it settles down allot sooner.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I always try to visualize the pin as part of the center rather than trying to see the center and the pin as 2 separate enities. To me at least, the pin and the gold are one!

·
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3D dad said:
paul, you said a mouthful. when you TRUST the shot sequence everything works out ok. now, let's work on those trust issues.:D
Yes, I am working on that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I started using a ring with a dot or fiber in the middle, and it has worked great for me. The ring is the diameter of the white spot and my dot or fiber sits on the x-ring. It has been the best for me and i'm shooting my best scores this way.
Goodluck, Kodiak.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Your eyes are wonderful things but they still have a limited depth of field. You can either focus on the pin or the target but not both. When I say focus, I don't mean concentrate. I mean that either the pin or the target is clear in appearance and the other is fuzzy.

Some suggest that they make the pin clear and the target fuzzy. Others prefer to make the target focused and the pin fuzzy. I'm in the fuzzy pin, sharp target camp.

When we talk about staring a hole in the target we are referring to making the target clear, and in focus, and concentaing on the atom in the very center of the X. The focus is that precise. There may be a fuzzy pin in the way but the shooter looks through it and sees the center atom.

I personally use a truespot lens for targets and I stare a hole in the center of the target.

·
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
baldmountain said:
There may be a fuzzy pin in the way but the shooter looks through it and sees the center atom.

I personally use a truespot lens for targets and I stare a hole in the center of the target.
You see, this is the contradiction I'm trying to address... since I personally don't have x-ray vision.

I did just put a circle on the only lens I have without a hole in it and tried it. It's a 5X Bull's Eye, AP size. I set it up with a clarifier peep and I think I could get used to it because the ring is fuzzy and the target is very clear (didn't freek me out). Problem is that I only have one ring set and it is too small. I'm going to order some larger ones. Gunstar Shooting Solutions has a nice selection.

www.dhawk.com

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
uh oh, sounds like you have ..... i hate to tell you... but you have target panic. :(

to answer your ?, you are supposed to look at the x, and only that. let the pin, dot, fiber, etc... float around it, and don't worry about where it goes on the target. just let the dot float around on the target. don't consentrate on the dot, consentrate on getting it on the x, then letting it go, and pull, pull, pull, and BANG! that is how it should be. :)
good luck, and i suggest a lot of blank baling. :)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Maybe you would be better off with a ring instead of a pin or post. Its a comfort thing really, both can be shot well, just personal preference. Your eyesight has alot to do with it also. As people age, they sometimes have problems with either the sight or the target being out of focus.

In any event I do stare a hole in the target, and not my pin. If you are aiming correctly, the pin is floating around the specific area you want to hit. Look at the X, reduce the pin wobble as best you can, and execute. Your eye has an amazing ability to naturally center objects, don't fight it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts