Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes have a hard time getting everything lined up in that big yellow circle. Anybody have any tricks or techniques for finding the x ring. I don't think I'm the only one, am I. Matt

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I shot the outdoor league this year and had problems with this too. Things that helped me. Shoot in good light. (Shooting into the woods at dusk is a bad idea.) Move your sight in and out along the extension bar in order to get the best focus. Try a clarifier. If you wear them make sure your glasses are clean and that you are looking through them near the center of the lens rather than an edge.

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
I can't see the centre ring and have no problem hitting it. Just aim at the middle of the target. Try a large ring and off just look through it.
Recurvers are shooting 330+ 90m scores without optics.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I've found for myself that for some of the distances the yellow is actually too big. I like to center my dot up in the yellow and see at least some color around the yellow. With a high power scope and a long extension sometimes all I can see is yellow at some of the distances. What I do is drop down a scope power or two, sometimes also move my scope extension in several notches as well until I can see a little color beyond the yellow. Then try to let the dot float around in the middle of the yellow, just like shooting an indoor Vegas face. At least that's what I try to do in theory, lol :D!

>>------->

·
Registered
166 Posts
Shoot with either a very large dot or a ring on the lens. The human brain is very good at subconsciously aligning concentric circles and you can't do this with a small dot.

I'd be willing to bet that a survey of the best FITA shooters - both recurve and compound - would show the vast majority using open rings for recurve and big dots/rings for compound, and very few using pins etc.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I use a 2X lens with a small/medium sized black dot on it. At 90 meters, I can just see a "glow" of yellow around my dot. at 18M for indoor, my dot covers 2/3 of the yellow (9). So I have found this to be ideal.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I shoot a medium dot or pin with no lens. I anchor the pin in the yellow and let it float in the yellow. I do agree that shooting a yellow face is different. On a field face, I can see the spot and focus on the center, yellow face center you pin or dot.

my 2cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts