Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a copule pics from some of our deer cam's from a couple years past...

Not to shabby for small ones...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
why links?

Anyone know why these just didn't show up as pictures? I used the "IMG" button to insert them. Oh well, I think the links work anyway....

Bo

Oh, Derrrr. Just saw it.

Let me know if the links don't work....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lets try this one last time....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 more

Sorry about the eye's on the one above...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
last one....

These make you ready for the season yet?!?!?!?! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one likes my pictures?::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
WOW....

Those are some great deer.......All would be near the top of the list in my home state of Oregon.........Got any room on your treestand.....I won't take up much room....promise;) .........PUG

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know what idea you guys have of Wisconsin deer, but I would consider those bucks true dandies here in the northern part of West Central WI! Good luck at stickin one of them this year.

peashooter

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The state record typical and non-typical bucks were taken in your general area. They grossed over 200"! Don't tell me the New York can't grow big bucks. Its just up to the hunters to let those spikes, forks and young 6-8 points go.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BowhunterNJ, so do I....

BowhunterNJ,
I'm a bowhunterNY currently stuck in NJ. I've got the land, the house, and the deer in NY, just no job (yet). I'm stuck down here in Red bank with more people than deer (something I'm not used to), more traffic than trees, and I can't find a place within 40 miles (translation, 2 hours) to shoot my bow!

How does anyone live in NJ and become any kind of hunter! This state is ridiculous! :mad:

Bo

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Bo:

I feel the pain man. I grew up about 30 minutes from Red Bank and hunted public lands (1000 acres or so). Its VERY difficult and deer just don't get a chance to grow.

Red Bank is a nice town, but outside of NW NJ, there isn't much in the way of big woods hunting here in NJ.

There are some WMAs across NJ that are rather large tracts, but they are mostly in Southern NJ and the forementioned NW NJ.

I currently live down in Mount Holly and wind up traveling about 40 minutes (3:30 AM, no traffic) to get to my spots on public land up towards central NJ.

Nevertheless, I really envy you guys that have a nice house backing up to a big tract of woods and get to observe wildlife on a daily basis!

Some day I hope to get the heck out of my crammed apartment (that resembles more of a garage with all my hunting and fishing gear), and find a nice place to settle down, get a house out in the backwoods somewhere! :)

Man...what I wouldn't give to be able to just shoot outside behind my place of dwelling! :) 95% of my shooting is done at less than 10 yards in my apartment...really chitty!

I think I'm in the wrong field though...IT and the outdoors don't mix well. At best, I land a spot near some metropolis and commute in from the outback! :) Outside of that, its large cities and small residential plots and backyard hunting...unless I want to travel to better areas (which I do now).

Its tough...I have a daily mental debate on what direction to head with my career...being early on and no responsibilities (no family, no house, etc).

What to do what to do! :) I'm open to suggestions! :)

What do you do in Red Bank? Like I said, nice town...I went to RBC my freshman year of HS. Some good bars, diners, sights around...but not much in the way of hunting.

Speakin of NY, my brother lives up near Warwick...great area but again no work. Would love to land up in that area, lots of nice land around and 15 minutes from Vernon, NJ for some snowboarding action! :) My brother commutes to NYC every night (night shift) and works as a contractor/construction during the day. Nitemare lifestyle, but nice area...tough balance...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I work, go to the driving range (just took up golf BECAUSE of my situation to give me something to do), do some fishing at Shadow Lake, and take in the wonderful scenery the streets of Red Bank have to offer. Its not much for deer, but if YOU are in the rut, its not a bad place to be stuck. Plenty of "Does".

I head up to my cabin just about every weekend. Its 320 miles one way, which makes for a long weekend, but once I'm there, I"m more relaxed and in tune. I get to shoot my bow, scout, and listen to NOTHING for a change.

Red Bank is nice, there are other places I could be stuck that are much worse (Like downtown NYC!), but I won't be here long. Once I save up a little dough, I'm gonna take the 40% pay cut, and the 60% cost of living and move back to no where. Happiness is more important to me than money in the long run...

Bo

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
So Bo, what is it that you do?

One of my buddies here said the same thing to me. He said you have to factor in the enjoyment of your lifestyle and its importance. Sometimes taking a cut in pay and factoring in the decrease in costing of living is worth the move.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BowhunterNJ,
Its actually interesting. I'm an engineer, and the company I worked for closed while in the process of obtaining funding. Well they eventually got the funding, and re-opened the company. They asked me to come back, I said no way in hell I'm coming back there (loved the company and the work, hated where I lived).

Well, I said no enough times that, they finally gave me a substantial raise (actually got my pay to what I was actually worth considering during the first year and a half at the company I worked 50-60 hours every week with no Overtime pay), AND expenses paid housing (One of the things I REALLY despised here, $1050/month for a 2 bedroom apartment, give me a break). So I thought to myself, I can go back, bank a bunch of cash, and stick it out for 1 year (thats all the money they have left) So I worked out that I can take 2 weeks off straight during bow season, no questions asked. Then it will be winter, and I won't be doing much but going to the Gym anyway.

Once they run out of money, or I've banked enough cash, I will move back to the country, and look for an okay job, and live my life in the peace and quiet of the country, in the woods with the whitetails. I was home for about 3 months during the lay off. I had no income (other than unepmloyment), and I'd never been so relaxed and content in my life. I WILL be back there. The peace of mind, health, and family being near by is well worth driving used vehicles, and knowing I'll never be "rich". I measure my wealth by more than my bank statements. Family, friends, happiness, and inches of antler are other ways ;)

Do what you feel is right, and what makes you happy. Its worth it. A couple of corporate layoffs will fix your sense of "Loyalty" to any company. They are a source of money, thats it. Loyalty to companies, or to employees is a thing of the past....

Bo

1 - 20 of 63 Posts