Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the low down on air bob soles for elk hunting? I have heard that they can be real slick on some mountain surfaces. Thanks for all

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Air Bob

Not sure about mountain terrain, but mine pick up all kinds of crap! they are a magnet for stones, mud, pine needles, grit, etc, that would eventually fall off of regular tread, but my bobs, manage to hold the stuff till I get in my truck or home...they also make a funny noise when walking on pavement.

·
Ad Meliora
17,252 Posts
Davik said:
Not sure about mountain terrain, but mine pick up all kinds of crap! they are a magnet for stones, mud, pine needles, grit, etc, that would eventually fall off of regular tread, but my bobs, manage to hold the stuff till I get in my truck or home...they also make a funny noise when walking on pavement.
1. Airbobs do clog with grass, small branch pieces, etc.

2. They do make noise on pavement.

Now...realize that they were designed for loose, dry conditions. They will clog with mud or even wet snow. They are like skates on smooth wet rocks. But they have awesome traction in loose, dry conditions.

I personally like them because I realize that they aren't for every situation. Danners Rule!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, should a person take more than one type of boot on a elk hunt? or which boot is made for all types of weather and terrain

·
Registered
383 Posts
In muddy conditions I haven't found a boot yet that doesn't get slippery. I bought a pair of Danner Grouse boots 4 yrs ago and I go west every year to hunt, sometimes several times and it is best boot investment I have ever made. The air bob sole is very effective in western terrain and they are very comfortable. My boots are uninsulated for hiking around mostly for elk and mule deer. My boots seem to get better with age.

·
Ad Meliora
17,252 Posts
jamaro said:
a few years ago air-bobs were the bees knees... I presonally think they clog-up real quick and hold onto mud... I just switched to danners and I so far so good...

jason
Switched to Danners from Danners???

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My elk outfitter also recommends air-bobbed soles. I have a pair of Schnee's that he recommended. Although I just picked up a pair of Meindles that are not air bobbed that I'll be wearing also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts