Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a new ranch with a lot of hogs that we will start hunting soon. I was talking to a coworker who told me that when he hunted as a kid, they would poke a hole in the animal and use an air compressor to loosen the skin before skinning and it made a skinning a breeze. Curious, I watched a few YouTube videos which show animals inflating, but they don’t really go into the skinning after that point. Has anyone tried this and have practical experience if it is worth the extra step?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I imagine you'd want to put a good filter bank on the air to avoid pumping oil, rust and microbes all over the meat.

·
NAASP
6,971 Posts
It helps to have a truck and a rope ............know where to cut behind the ears

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you explain “where to cut behind the ears”? This is the first I have heard about that. Thanks for all of the input! And yeah, didn’t think about an inline filter, but that is a great idea.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Anybody know what size compressor you need to to do this? I’d imagine a pancake compressor would be too small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
We used to fill empty Freon bottles with compressed air, from a compressor. Or nitrogen tanks used for hvac work. Then attach a hose with shut off and a big heavy syringe needle. That way you could do it at camp or anywhere you could get the bottle, with out the need for 110v. Works good, but we don’t use it any more. It’s not that hard to do it the “ traditional” way with a sharp knife, and is the reason you don’t you see it used more often. We used it more often when we had lots of animals to process at one time. ( sometimes 12 elk and as many or more deer) but we don’t process near as many animals for people as we used to when my dad was alive.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
BTW you put te needle or proble through the skin only, not into the chest or abdomen. Best place id between the shoulder blades. Use a scuba tank with breathable air if you are worried about oil and dirt

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you use a can of helium you can just walk em out of the woods to the truck like a parade float. Don't use hydrogen though or you might end up with a Hindenberg situation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clearly it works for some people so give it a try. The topic comes up regularly on several trapping boards that I view. I've tried using it on muskrats, *****, and beavers. In my experience the whole operation is completely useless. Like mentioned above, skinning is usually a pretty quick thing with a little experience. Most skinning is pulling so if you were looking to invest in some sort of time saving skinning process, invest in something to pull the skin off.

·
Started bowhunting late
325 Posts
We’ve done it on gators. Helps but doesn’t make it exactly easy. But gators very different from a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts