Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All talk at our archery club is new AIRBOW that is out..Almost all said if legal here in pa they will get rid of their crossbows.Do you think it will become legal in archery season ?What will this do to future of crossbows if the AIRBOW is too become legal?Will crossbow industry go to this type of weapon?I NEVER SAW SO MUCH INTEREST IN A WEAPON THAT SHOOTS A 26 INCH ARROW WITH AIR...Jim Shockey and top crossbow woman is pushing this new way to launch arrow..I HATE to see it legal because i have ton of money like most of you in our weapons but most likely I would get one too...

What do you folks think I bet the PGC here in pa will allow it as fast as they can...

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
Well...not getting into the legality issue myself but I do have them on order. However, that being said I am calling it an "Airbow" strictly so anyone looking for it can find it on my website. Its not a "bow" as there are no limbs to store the energy among other things. That the "projectile" is an "arrow" does not make it a bow. In reality its an "arrow cannon".

Wyvern

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
These are air rifles that shoot arrows as projectiles. They are not bows. In Pa a bow is a device that propels arrows by energy stored in drawn limbs.

In states where air rifles are legal to hunt, you may be able to hunt with it as an air rifle for the species legal to hunt with air rifles.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Legal for whitetail deer already in North Carolina , South Carolina , Alabama and Arizona
... during the archery season?

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
Not legalnin NY, airguns must shoot 600 fps and are not allowed on big game.

This gun has to be pretty loud, its based off a big bore and my .22 discovery sounds like a .22 going off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
... during the archery season?
No. Legal whenever its legal to use a airgun, thats it. In PA you can't use a airgun for anything, which in my opinion is stupid you should be able to use a big bore airgun/airbow in regular rifle season. Don't see this gaining the popularity that crossbows have in many states but I am sure at some point in the future they will become legal in archery season in a few states. Game commissions are mainly worried about making money and this is another avenue for them. Still think its got a long uphill battle to make it into archery season's. In reality its not much different for hunting than a crossbow its still point and shoot but a crossbow is a bow. Crossbows have been around for a thousand years.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cant answer that . Crossman website just lists those four states legal for deer . My guess is that it's only legal during firearm season but that's just a guess .
I sure hope you are right, because if they do become legal, where does it stop. I was a strong proponent against Xbows during the archery season, with the exception of "archers" with physical ailments/limitations that precluded them to bowhunt with regular bows, for previously discussed concerns. I was also against a bow loosing an arrow tipped with a bullet. In my humblest of opinions we really need to re-evaluate our ethics, if this one makes it through.

·
Registered
834 Posts
No. Legal whenever its legal to use a airgun, thats it. In PA you can't use a airgun for anything, which in my opinion is stupid you should be able to use a big bore airgun/airbow in regular rifle season. Don't see this gaining the popularity that crossbows have in many states but I am sure at some point in the future they will become legal in archery season in a few states. Game commissions are mainly worried about making money and this is another avenue for them. Still think its got a long uphill battle to make it into archery season's. In reality its not much different for hunting than a crossbow its still point and shoot but a crossbow is a bow. Crossbows have been around for a thousand years.
... the mighty dollar rearing its ugly head once again :( see post 11...

·
Registered
227 Posts
All talk at our archery club is new AIRBOW that is out..Almost all said if legal here in pa they will get rid of their crossbows.Do you think it will become legal in archery season ?What will this do to future of crossbows if the AIRBOW is too become legal?Will crossbow industry go to this type of weapon?I NEVER SAW SO MUCH INTEREST IN A WEAPON THAT SHOOTS A 26 INCH ARROW WITH AIR...Jim Shockey and top crossbow woman is pushing this new way to launch arrow..I HATE to see it legal because i have ton of money like most of you in our weapons but most likely I would get one too...

What do you folks think I bet the PGC here in pa will allow it as fast as they can...
Biggest problem with this is its just the beginning if they become legal in archery season's you will see everyone starting to make them and that competition will have them shooting 600 fps and loading much quicker as well. 80 yard shots will be easy. Unlike crossbows these things will be a huge game changer if they become legal in archery seasons. I do think they have a up hill climb seeing as they don't have anything resembling a bow other than they shoot the same projectile.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Are you on the right forum?
Yassir :) read my post very carefully, I said archers, not hunters. IMHO their is a big difference and if you can't determine what that difference is... R U in the right forum?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I sure hope you are right, because if they do become legal, where does it stop. I was a strong proponent against Xbows during the archery season, with the exception of "archers" with physical ailments/limitations that precluded them to bowhunt with regular bows, for previously discussed concerns. I was also against a bow loosing an arrow tipped with a bullet. In my humblest of opinions we really need to re-evaluate our ethics, if this one makes it through.
Crossbows are a bow they have many of the same parts they function the same except a crossbow is already cocked and doesn't need to be drawn on a animal(a big advantage for sure) Crossbows are much older than compounds. I have no problem if a state required bows to be recurve or long bows with no sights or releases. Otherwise crossbows should be included. this airbow is in no way a bow in that we do agree.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Crossbows are a bow they have many of the same parts they function the same except a crossbow is already cocked and doesn't need to be drawn on a animal(a big advantage for sure) Crossbows are much older than compounds. I have no problem if a state required bows to be recurve or long bows with no sights or releases. Otherwise crossbows should be included. this airbow is in no way a bow in that we do agree.
and I support you POV because you have a valid argument. OTOH I have reservations wrt non archers using Xbows as a rifle during archery season. My opposition goes way back, some of my reasons were even validated here during my short tenure.

So now we are having a contraption marketed by Dave Shockley, coined the "airbow". You and I know the difference, but where does it stop? Dang! just look at the hunters that are against an archery only season, that proclaim we have an unfair advantage over them. We do and we don't. One thing that can be said is that we disturb the habitat a h e l l of a lot less than they do, by nature of our sport. Our string report does not carry for miles like a shot does...

Because of failing eyesight, I can no longer bowhunt. I can use a scoped shooting implement, but find taking game after being a bowhunter for years anti-climatic. Shooting instinctively is/was an option, that was considered and taken up. I did not like my kill % at respectable bow ranges, and hence never hunted instinctively. The Xbow was a welcomed sight, because it had a scope. At 60 I can still draw my 60# bow very comfortably. I either see my pins or the target, not both. So I either pick up a Xbow or forgo archery. It is a no brainer. I hit what I shoot. I couldn't say the same thing shooting instinctive. As an archer, I keep my shots within respectable bow ranges, non archers have a tendency to push limits. I am sure this dicussion has been going on for years, well at least it has in my neck of the woods, leaving rifle hunters a false sense of accuracy while shooting a Xbow. We need to remember we are here to protect our rights as archers and archers using a Xbow. Nothing more nothing less. Are we doing a good job of it? Questionable at best, sorry...

·
Arrow Whisperer
11,105 Posts
I am with you on the bullet those just seem to be extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
227 Posts
and I support you POV because you have a valid argument. OTOH I have reservations wrt non archers using Xbows as a rifle during archery season. My opposition goes way back, some of my reasons were even validated here during my short tenure.

So now we are having a contraption marketed by Dave Shockley, coined the "airbow". You and I know the difference, but where does it stop? Dang! just look at the hunters that are against an archery only season, that proclaim we have an unfair advantage over them. We do and we don't. One thing that can be said is that we disturb the habitat a h e l l of a lot less than they do, by nature of our sport. Our string report does not carry for miles like a shot does...

Because of failing eyesight, I can no longer bowhunt. I can use a scoped shooting implement, but find taking game after being a bowhunter for years anti-climatic. Shooting instinctively is/was an option, that was considered and taken up. I did not like my kill % at respectable bow ranges, and hence never hunted instinctively. The Xbow was a welcomed sight, because it had a scope. At 60 I can still draw my 60# bow very comfortably. I either see my pins or the target, not both. So I either pick up a Xbow or forgo archery. It is a no brainer. I hit what I shoot. I couldn't say the same thing shooting instinctive. As an archer, I keep my shots within respectable bow ranges, non archers have a tendency to push limits. I am sure this dicussion has been going on for years, well at least it has in my neck of the woods, leaving rifle hunters a false sense of accuracy while shooting a Xbow. We need to remember we are here to protect our rights as archers and archers using a Xbow. Nothing more nothing less. Are we doing a good job of it? Questionable at best, sorry...
I would say half the crossbow users in PA have come over from rifle season. I do agree those hunters tend to stretch the range a bit and take questionable angled shots because they are used to hunting with rifles. I also know some older archery hunters who have moved over to crossbows. I can't remember those guys ever not recovering their deer so I see your point, they take shots you would take with a bow only and don't lose deer. I don't know anyone that archery hunts in PA that I have talked to who think the airbow should be legal. Most have the same fear you and I have where does it stop. At some point when you start pushing 450 to 500 fps hunters are pushing what should be legal to archery hunt with. If you can take ethical shots at 80 yards does the bow/xbow/airbow etc really belong in archery season and make no mistake that the airbow if its legalized will eventually push those limits.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Yassir :) read my post very carefully, I said archers, not hunters. IMHO their is a big difference and if you can't determine what that difference is... R U in the right forum?
Interesting point ... I think a crossbow is a form of archery equipment because of the limbs, arrow, string and the identical flight path of the arrow. Yet, you raise a good point, there is a significant difference between an archer in the traditional sense, and a crossbowman. While it's a flash point issue around here, the crossbowman is considerably like a rifleman. BUT, with a legitimate form of archery equipment because other than the platform, the knowledge of projectile characteristics, flight trajectory, broadhead performance, and ballistics is identical to the vertical bow used by archers.

Make any sense?...LOL

1 - 20 of 86 Posts