Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the threads with numerous people having the all black and Black/camo bows. I was curious if there is any downside to using these in the woods? Does the black really stand out that much more than all camo? Obviously the black would be great from a ground blind, but what about still hunting and in a tree stand? Any thoughts from all you black or black/camo bow hunters?

·
HHA products SUCK
14,150 Posts
All black, black and camo, or all camo.

I've hunted and never had any issues in my WI treestand.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
no problems here. wi treestander also
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Doesn't matter. Movement is what the deer will see. I've had deer within 10 yards on the ground not see me while wearing blaze orange. The color of your bow doesn't matter (unless it's polished chrome!).

·
Always Scouting
3,418 Posts
The only reason I have not gone with an all black out is I think they will show all the little scratches from walking through the woods which camo seems to hide.

Matt

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
In a treestand and blind it doesn't really matter, I have a black bow for this. The shadows in both situations hide black really well. Out in my part of the country where I am sneaking across the prairie with ankle high grass.......I will go with a fully camoflauged bow. Those pronghorns have an uncanny ability to pick things out and a black bow stands out in the light colored grass of the west!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The only reason I have an all camo bow is purely personal preference. I like the look of an all camo bow for hunting. I love the way black bows look, so don't get me wrong, but for a purely hunting/backyard bow which is what I use mine for, I just prefer the look of all camo.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I went black last year....and I ain't going back!!!! (to camo that is....)

All black bows for me now....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if an archery pro shop offered me the black and camo Maxxis for an additional $30 - $50 off, most of you would say go for it?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I liked the hoyts black texture paint . I had a monster in all black and my rings scratched it from just holding the thing. the hoyts my friends have have had no problem. but scratches do show better on the black
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The only reason I have not gone with an all black out is I think they will show all the little scratches from walking through the woods which camo seems to hide.

Matt
My black bows (3 elites) have held up better to scratches then my camo ones
think it has more to do with powdercoating versus dipping though , plus a sharpie fixes all

·
Registered
855 Posts
so if an archery pro shop offered me the black and camo Maxxis for an additional $30 - $50 off, most of you would say go for it?
It wouldn't scare me away if that was what I was looking for.
The color of it is just an afterthought IMO. Of course I am not going to run out and buy a tournament color bow for hunting, but within reason it makes no difference really.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
for sure! I like my black and camo because it is unique. I'm the only person that I know who has one. I can't see how it could make any difference in the field. Sticks can be almost black, right??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doesn't matter. Movement is what the deer will see. I've had deer within 10 yards on the ground not see me while wearing blaze orange. The color of your bow doesn't matter (unless it's polished chrome!).
+1 althought I will add that deer will smell you long before they see you.

FYI- A new research paper was publised last year that while deer see mostly in black and white, they do have the receptors in the eye to recognize blue. So as long as your bow isn't bright blue you are all right.

·
Yippiee ki-yay
3,602 Posts
Depends on which I liked better, it would not matter to me that deer would see it more, cause they would not.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Movement is what they see. I have never been busted with my black AX. I've been on the ground and in trees and no issues. Even had a doe at 10 yards on the ground and never seen me. Didnt know what hit her about 15 sec into it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The only reason I have an all camo bow is purely personal preference. I like the look of an all camo bow for hunting. I love the way black bows look, so don't get me wrong, but for a purely hunting/backyard bow which is what I use mine for, I just prefer the look of all camo.

I agree 100% with Yichi.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Color of the bow is irrelevant unless it's a gloss finish that the deer could see a reflection from under bright conditions.

I just like using a camo bow for hunting because it's a beater and a scratch in the camo doesn't show up nearly as well as a scratch in black paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts