Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
SuperToon'd
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's the main reason why I like the all-star contest. Everyone who is eligible scored at least 100 pts last season so you know they actually participate and its your best deer for the score.

I never received a pm either.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You had to score 100+ points

I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol....and that makes an 'All Star'. Shoot a scrappy 8 and your suddenly a superstar. Personally, I think it would have made much more sense to require an AVERAGE of 100 or 125 over the past 3-5 seasons to make the contest. Just my opinion of course...I know we live in a world where everyone is a winner and no kid gets left behind anymore.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Lol....and that makes an 'All Star'. Shoot a scrappy 8 and your suddenly a superstar. Personally, I think it would have made much more sense to require an AVERAGE of 100 or 125 over the past 3-5 seasons to make the contest. Just my opinion of course...I know we live in a world where everyone is a winner and no kid gets left behind anymore.
One major point that was brought up regarding the point cut off are a lot of people don't shoot a buck every year because they are looking for that monster which would eliminate their ability to participate on your cut off standard.

Really a hard bar to set accurately and I'm sure the mods didn't have the mindset that "everyone is a winner and no kid gets left behind anymore."

·
Pay It Forward
26,680 Posts
One major point that was brought up regarding the point cut off are a lot of people don't shoot a buck every year because they are looking for that monster which would eliminate their ability to participate on your cut off standard.

Really a hard bar to set accurately and I'm sure the mods didn't have the mindset that "everyone is a winner and no kid gets left behind anymore."
Pretty much nailed it Doofy....it really was something to try to appease the incessant whiners who do nothing but complain all year because their teammates didn't contribute. Funny thing about many of those whiners too, they never reach out to ask why their teammates didn't contribute - I had a fellow on my team in 2013 who was limited to heavily pressured public land. He had hunted 20-days without SEEING a deer. Instead of complaining I extended an invite, he traveled 200-miles, spent the weekend and nocked off two-doe. Another year two team members of mine both lost their jobs and their priorities obviously shifted. One year a guy from on my team from KS, passed on 5 deer in the 140' class waiting on a better buck and he doesn't believe in shooting does, so we got no points from him, doesn't make him a loser. Last season my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia, I didn't care if I hunted one-minute....it really is all relative.

These contests are designed to fun and build some comradery, but unfortunately there are a few every year who find something to grumble about. Certainly not about leaving anyone behind or guaranteeing trophies for all...

Tom is right too - sign-ups are thin all around this year and to be quite honest, I am not all that surprised. There was a bunch of BS last year that left a sour taste in the mouth of many, but what's done is done...we can't get a do-over, we ALL have to just try to do-BETTER and the All-Star contest is our attempt.

Joe

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It doesn't matter what rules you come up with, someone will need a pacifier. My 2015 deer and 2016 turkey team each came in second place in both contests. It was a bunch of fun. I'm excited to do it again. Thanks for having it.

·
TEAM #3
950 Posts
I think you guys do a great job running the regular contest and the all-star contest will be another event I look forward to participating in. These contest are just another item I use to get excited about the upcoming season. I've been on dead teams before and it does suck I agree with 12-ringer you never know what people are going through. With all that said thanks to the mods for doing this,come on bow season and good luck to all. :darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I think you guys do a great job running the regular contest and the all-star contest will be another event I look forward to participating in. These contest are just another item I use to get excited about the upcoming season. I've been on dead teams before and it does suck I agree with 12-ringer you never know what people are going through. With all that said thanks to the mods for doing this,come on bow season and good luck to all. :darkbeer::darkbeer:
Much respect for king and 12 ringer. Im all about camaraderie and although I don't qualify for the ATeam I wish all the best of luck this year.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks a bunch to King and 12-Ringer for the effort they put into this! The contest always pumps me up and I think the All-Star Contest is a great idea!
And I agree, a smaller contest where more of the folks actually participate would be more fun.

·
Super Moderator
22,691 Posts
Appreciate all the comments. This being the first year of the All Star contest, I'm sure there will be some minor tweaks we will have to make in the rules in following years but both contests should be a lot of fun nonetheless.

Keep in mind, if you are participating in the All Star Contest, please make sure you sign up for the regular contest as well. That's a requirement.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Thanks men, this should be fun. I was kind of hoping a picture of your score chart, or posting all the measurements would be a requirement this year to help keep things more fair for the honest people here. Just an idea, it will be a good time either way.

·
SuperToon'd
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not everyone gets a trophy. Do you have any idea how many of last year's participants didn't even score 100 points? I know for a fact way too many didn't even post a score.

·
Waiting on Season
14,934 Posts
Appreciate all the comments. This being the first year of the All Star contest, I'm sure there will be some minor tweaks we will have to make in the rules in following years but both contests should be a lot of fun nonetheless.

Keep in mind, if you are participating in the All Star Contest, please make sure you sign up for the regular contest as well. That's a requirement.
Where is the regular sign up thread at

·
Back down to ground level
18,172 Posts
I take it our score in the regular contest will determine if we get on this contest again next year, so we don't have to shoot a 100"+ buck this year to stay in it. There's no reason to hold out for a 100" buck if you don't want to.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Lol....and that makes an 'All Star'. Shoot a scrappy 8 and your suddenly a superstar. Personally, I think it would have made much more sense to require an AVERAGE of 100 or 125 over the past 3-5 seasons to make the contest. Just my opinion of course...I know we live in a world where everyone is a winner and no kid gets left behind anymore.[/QUOT

Its all for fun and I doubt any of us are beating our chests making us superstars . Certainly do like to being in it just for the fact that your with other hunters that participate and actually hunt . In the regular contest you will find lots of no shows and lots of excuses . Kinda wish there was one for turkeys too .

·
Bowhunter
5,268 Posts
Hey! I deserve my participation trophy!!!!

The "All Star" list is comprised of hunters who delivered 100+ points in each of the last 2 seasons. When I created it I wanted to note the folks who were not a flash in the pan. You are correct in that the "All Star" Contest is for anyone who put up 100 or more points in just the last season alone. There would be a lot fewer teams if the 2 year requirement were kept for the contest - and just a handful of teams if it went to 100+ points for 3 to 5 years.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.