Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
I like big buffs!
4,324 Posts
I've only received a couple PMs of people who aren't participating. One of the reasons as to why is because you can only enter one deer in the All Star contest. Interesting. Not sure why that would be a negative...?
I know I mentioned this before, but I'm in favor of scoring 2 deer instead of 1. One reason is with just one deer scored it almost turns into a 'big buck contest' vs a deer contest, with guys from traditionally small buck states like MI don't have much chance to be competitive.

I'm not sure why the All Star contest deviates from the regular contest in how many deer you can score? From what I understand it was setup to 'reward' us guys with consistant participation, not necessarily those who shoot the biggest bucks. Not that any of this really makes a big difference in any of our lives, as it's all for fun. I'm just throwing my pair of pennies out there.

Regardless how y'all decide to set it up, I'm looking forward to it!

·
Super Moderator
22,691 Posts
I know I mentioned this before, but I'm in favor of scoring 2 deer instead of 1. One reason is with just one deer scored it almost turns into a 'big buck contest' vs a deer contest, with guys from traditionally small buck states like MI don't have much chance to be competitive.

I'm not sure why the All Star contest deviates from the regular contest in how many deer you can score? From what I understand it was setup to 'reward' us guys with consistant participation, not necessarily those who shoot the biggest bucks. Not that any of this really makes a big difference in any of our lives, as it's all for fun. I'm just throwing my pair of pennies out there.

Regardless how y'all decide to set it up, I'm looking forward to it!
See, I don't necessarily agree with that. This is a post I made back in the discussion thread earlier this year and I think it's pretty clear that it wouldn't matter whether it was a 1 or 2 deer scoring system.

We also have to remember that no season is the same. People go through down years and fail to have a shooter in range. So they would still be able to contribute to their team's post total with a doe.

Let's say we have four members, two in prime buck territory in Kansas and two in Florida and we allowed a 2 deer scoring system.

Member A (Kansas) - fails to have a shooter in range but is able to shoot a doe for 50 points.

Member B (Kansas) - shoots a 160" and a doe totalling 210 points.

Kansas Hunters Average - 130 points.

Member C (Florida) - fails to shoot a buck but shoots a doe totalling 50 points.

Member D (Florida) - shoots an 90" buck and a doe totalling 140 points.

Florida Hunters Average - 95 points.

______________________________ ______________________________ ___

Now let's do the same thing with a single deer entry using the same deer kill counts.

Member A (Kansas) - 50 points for the doe.

Member B (Kansas) - 160 points for the buck.

Kansas Hunters Average - 105 points.

Member C (Florida) - 50 points for the doe.

Member D (Florida) - 90 points for the buck.

Florida Hunters Average - 70 points.

That's a 35 points average differential for single deer scoring and a 35 point average differential for two deer scoring. I fail to see the difference. So the small buck states will still be at a disadvantage regardless if it's a one or two deer scoring system.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Let's say a Florida hunter passes a few -100" bucks in hopes of getting a chance at them in years to come and never sees anything larger due to the low population of large bucks in the state, but tags 2 doe for 100 points. He would be at 50 points for passing up those smaller bucks if he can't score 2 deer.

·
Back down to ground level
18,173 Posts
What difference does it make if your buck only scores 90 points instead of 100, other than it being a 10 point difference for the team score? The contest isn't about taking big bucks over 100", is it? In some states that is still considered small. In mine, it's not.
Other than having to shoot a doe before a buck, I would rather shoot a small buck over shooting another doe. Population here is too low. Even if he measures up to 60 points, it's better than 50. I'll have 4 buck stubs for archery, so taking a small buck for meat, then trying for a bigger buck with the other tags is something I do, contest or no contest.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
See, I don't necessarily agree with that. This is a post I made back in the discussion thread earlier this year and I think it's pretty clear that it wouldn't matter whether it was a 1 or 2 deer scoring system.
Now to put a little twist on it, if the hunter that shoots a doe in the first part of the season and does not enter it in the All Star contest within 10 days and then the rest of the season goes cold and he/she does not shoot another deer, then he and his team have zero points??
I can see it both ways, two deer would make it easier for points??

·
Super Moderator
22,691 Posts
Now to put a little twist on it, if the hunter that shoots a doe in the first part of the season and does not enter it in the All Star contest within 10 days and then the rest of the season goes cold and he/she does not shoot another deer, then he and his team have zero points??
I can see it both ways, two deer would make it easier for points??
You are able to replace an entered deer with a higher scoring deer. There's no reason to wait to enter a deer.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,433 Posts
It's been a long hot summer with a ways to go but I'm starting to feel a little frisky these days as fall nears!:boxing:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Im assuming teams will be drawn on the 7th? Also, how many days are you allowing to sign in after teams are drawn? Im excited for this years contest but Ill be on vacation for a couple weeks starting the 6th..

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,433 Posts
I hear ya 3d... Hope to see you in the contest again this year!
Yea I'm in there Jim, it would be cool if we were on the same team again this yr. how's that Alberta weather?

·
Registered
984 Posts
If hunters are basing their hunting style and what animals to kill based on this contest, they need to reevaluate their priorities. Kill what makes you happy...the end.
I see what you're saying, but if hunting for the benefit of this contest IS what makes them happy, why not go for it?

·
ONEshotONEsoul
4,654 Posts
That may be a good thing. Maybe it's all the active team players signing up and all the no shows or barely shows are not
I agree with this. I could bring 10 or so guys to this contest, but I would have to remind them to post their deer and stuff. It isn't fair to their team with them not conversing time to time. All of my friends will kill 2-10 deer with their bow but it's not all about points.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.