Archery Talk Forum banner

All the Archery stuff I’ve sold!

789 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Fatguyinatree
I was looking at all the old messages I have on here and man oh man the stuff I’ve bought,sold and then how many times I’ve BOUGHT THE SAME STUFF AGAIN [emoji23][emoji23]
Oh the money I’ve lost!!

Guess I could have spent it on something worse??

How’s the sport treating you??

There’s a few things I’d really like to have back but……..
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
605 Posts
For sure. I found some doohickey online the other day and promptly forgot about it, only to pull one out of drawer. You don’t ever own anything, just lease it. Some you lease for a while, some forever. Eventually it will all be sold or traded, either by you or someone close to you. But it so is fun along the way!

· Registered
193 Posts
I sold everything I had related to compound at the end of 2017 so I would force myself to fully commit to hunting with my longbow. Well after 5 years away from it, I’ve jumped back in and I’ve bought it all again. Such a great financial move…..😂😂

· southern traditions
5,233 Posts
Been doing it for a long time archery's my drug ! It's a obsession! Buy, try , dont like, sell ,love it ,never gonna sell, end up selling, regret and buy it again. Its archery you have to love it !

· Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sold everything I had related to compound at the end of 2017 so I would force myself to fully commit to hunting with my longbow. Well after 5 years away from it, I’ve jumped back in and I’ve bought it all again. Such a great financial move…..[emoji23][emoji23]
Lol

“BowMoney”

Sums things up nicely [emoji106]

· Back Yard Champion
35,979 Posts
I've been lucky. Like they say, it's about being the right spot and the right time. Go back to the first Presley's Midwest Open (long time ago). Went out for a break and couple guys rattling off about releases. Man had brand a new in the package TRU Ball ST360. He wanted $50. Bought it and sold the next weekend for $100. From then on I kept ears open.

I must bought $300 or $400 worth of stuff and sold $1000.00. Man moving out of state for big time money. I bought him out for $1000. Sold most for $3000 and kept what i wanted.

2002 Hoyt UltraTec - dual track. Bad bearing and no could find it. Mechanic got in tizzy, yelling that there was no wrong the with bow. He angerly picked it up by the top wheel and bearings went everywhere. Contacted Hoyt. Hoyt upgraded the 2002 with the new out cam & 1/2. Wow first weekend out. Man had to have it. He just laying out green stuff until I couldn't say no.
2002 Hoyt UltraTec. Man laid it away and never returned. Told about it, I bought for $300. Black fade to flame. Took 3rd in State Outdoor. I left and this man asked club member where I lived. Here he comes. Again, enough green stuff I couldn't turn out.

Worked for archery shop and then as manager. Some archery tackle company wanted in and a couple dozen high end arrows or some fancy whatevers got them in. I must have got 8 dozens arrows.

Tested some items for companies. Test and review I got the item for free. 3 or 4 different arrow rests I can remember. One starting up arrow maker here in the U.S. went under due to fact their arrows weren't true. Straightness was fine, spine was fine but the arrows thinned out in middle and dropped right through prong style rests.

Bought out a archery shop; Apple Pro Saw, Apple bow vice, 2 Multi Jo-Jan jigs and 1 Bitz, 1000 vanes and a bunch of tools. Offered $200 and the owner took it. Sold what I didn't want for the $200 and set up my archery workshop in my garage. Charge for only what something cost me. I ice cold diet Coke goes a long ways for labor.

Yard sales, don't them up. Bought a new Economy Apple Bow press for $40. Bought several bows for $25 and less. Checked them over, got them shooting and sold most for $50.

I don't how many releases and fletching jigs I've bought over years, but never lost a dime when I sold them.

Made some outstanding trades.

Shot for Martin and shot for Pearson. As all know on staff you don't pay full price. What bows I sold; I got my money back.

I will say this. I've spent a bunch of money over what i did when shooting firearms. My wife was ticked off for years when I went archery. Bought me 750 Yamaha Virgo in attempt to get me to drop archery. I won a pretty good chunk of money shooting firearms. Won damn little in archery and a bunch of dust collectors to show.

· Registered
3,879 Posts
I discovered that I’m on my 3rd 3 pin scope for my Tommy Hogg sights.

I keep thinking, this will be the last time I try one.

It’s up for sale [emoji23] again.
This is my dilemma with Hamskea and Vapor trail. I have an epsilon now and have owned 2 different Vaportrail gen 7x but darn it I may do it again hahahahaha

· Registered
30,646 Posts
I try not to chase my tail in regards to rebuying things I once tried and sold. Maybe that is why I have like 7-8 tubs of various weight and pattern camo. Since I haven't grown as an adult and worked hard not to get fat, I can wear what I bought in the 1980's in regards to fit. However the newer stuff really is made of some better fabrics and improved design ....but you don't have to pay retail dollar. Many go on sale during the holidays.....the Black Friday pricing or just prior to Christmas or season end close-out with very good savings.

Once I found my compound bow "profile"......the specs and characteristics that simply work for me.....I haven't done much changing. The '17 Obsession Phoenix XL was one of the best bows I've owned and I likely would be still shooting them today if the company had been managed better. So at a friend's recommendation, I tried a '19 Elite Ritual 35 and have been shooting them since. This is my 3rd year with them and when I look through the used bow classifieds on occasion....there really is no compulsion to change for change sake. Same with rests....since I went with Hamskea about 2018, there has been zero motivation to remove a bombproof design that is well tuned for another that is newer with additional cost.

I did swap single pin slider sights last year......from the MBG Ascents to HHA Tetra. I found a really good deal on a new Tetra on the AT classifieds last Jan/Feb and bought it. Tried it out and sold my MBG to recoup most of the cost. Then the same seller had another one for sale, so I bought that even less and again sold my MBG. So two new $250 sights for about $100 invested beyond what I already had in the MBG's....which I bought used in the classifieds. Same with arrows.....had been shooting Axis....decided to try Hexx and liked them with 50gr brass inserts. I sold some Axis and scrounged around for more Hexx.....I probably paid too much for the Hexx being a discontinued line, but I like them a lot and they aren't making more. Thus it seems we all have choices to make about what is "worth it" or not.

From watching the archery market, the facet that seems to be the most inflated at present are treestands and accessories. Guys are selling used LW hand climbers for more than they paid for them 10-20 years ago. The lighter they make stands, the more they ask......as in $500 not being uncommon. Same with climbing sticks and saddle gear. Most guys think very little of investing $1k or more into a mobile or saddle setup.....then sell it for a loss to "upgrade" to the next best thing. The new LWCG climber that was introduced at the '23 ATA show is reputed to likely run near $1k,,,,and some consider that an investment. Frankly, that might even be somewhat realistic when considering the resale prices on anything with that particular label???

· Registered
Diamond Edge XT by Bowtech HHA Optimizer Ultra DS-XL5519 sight /HHA Virtus drop away rest
125 Posts
I was looking at all the old messages I have on here and man oh man the stuff I’ve bought,sold and then how many times I’ve BOUGHT THE SAME STUFF AGAIN [emoji23][emoji23]
Oh the money I’ve lost!!

Guess I could have spent it on something worse??

How’s the sport treating you??

There’s a few things I’d really like to have back but……..
I still have my first bow. First bow I took a deer with so I think I'm gonna keep it. Have the original sight and rest, they're outdated but I can't seem to clean them out of the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts