Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Rage broadheads perfect?I have never heard a single complaint about them,never tried them ,plan to sometime in the future but does anyone have a complaint abount them?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Far from perfect...my complaint--->they're mechanical:nod:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Guys have complained that the blades pop open. I had a buddy with a 160 class deer at 15 yards. Full draw only to look down and see his blades hanging loose. I have heard this was a problem with the early models and have fixed them since.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
one shot = one head = one deer = $12 bucks
not worth the trouble replacing blades due to the screw problems.
blades easily bent or broken,but entry holes = pop can size 2" or larger.
most run 30 yrds.and crash.
broadside double lung pass thru common. hit bone and not much penatration,but recovery possible because of entry wound size.
2 blade seem to be the best although,I have no complaints about the 3 blade model.......and thats all I got to say about that!(forest) :wink:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm with doc. anything that can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time. I like fixed blades because they eliminate one variable.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
one shot = one head = one deer = $12 bucks
not worth the trouble replacing blades due to the screw problems.
blades easily bent or broken,but entry holes = pop can size 2" or larger.
most run 30 yrds.and crash.
broadside double lung pass thru common. hit bone and not much penatration,but recovery possible because of entry wound size.
2 blade seem to be the best although,I have no complaints about the 3 blade model.......and thats all I got to say about that!(forest) :wink:
That was a great summary!

·
Registered
835 Posts
i'm not a fan of them because the blades come open in my quiver... and i'm not a stand hunter so that's a big issue. i'll give it to them that they are devastating, the other guys in my shop use them, they're just not for me.

i'll stick to my piston points.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey man, that is what i heard last summer about them so i bought some to try out. They work great, but there are many things that have to happen for them to work.

If the blades do not hold in place by the rubber stopper, your arrow flight will be terrible. If they have a secure hold you will love the broadhead.

They put massive holes in the deer and will run 30-40 yards and drop.

The 3 blade had a recall last fall but they probably fixed the problem by now, i would buy the 2 blade anyways if i were you, they got a 2'' cutting diameter which is lethal.

Overall, if you can be careful about the blades staying closed until the shot, you will be very pleased with it's killing power.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Rages are far, far, far from perfect.

Do a search...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to agree with the heads coming open thing. I found that when stalking if you get the arrow on brush, twigs, tall grass, ect, ect. The blades deploy, witch is important when hitting an animal, but not so cool otherwise. I keep the old Muzzy's in the quiver for stalking, and I hunt the rages when I'm set up in a place.

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Had a deflection off a rib with a Rage 3-blade. Still killed the deer, thanks to a blade opening and penetrating the cavity. But I felt my Spitfires would have gotten a double-lung. I shot 3 of them last season. All 3 kills, but they will be my last and only with a Rage. I just don't like the way they performed. I had been happy to that point with Spitfires and Thunderheads - which I will go back to. And when I run low on those blades I'll give Slick Tricks a try.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have used them for a while and shot a handfull of deer with them already. Hopefully they get the side screw issue taken care of, other than that, I have had great luck with them. I have drawn back on deer and had a blade come loose, still too the shot and never had flight problems and shot was 28 yards. Maybe if it was 40 yars or so you would see flight problems, but that is not something I experienced. I would recommend them. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If you scroll to the bottom of the attached link to my website you will see some of the issues that I had with them...

http://www.thenewmexicosportsman.com/productreview.html

Jason
I use the 3 blade and must be the only one who likes it. You hit the spine of a coyote and wanted a pass through? :confused: I'll admit the heads aren't the toughest out there, but I've put one head completely through 2 deer and it's back in the quiver for turkeys in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I use the 3 blade and must be the only one who likes it. You hit the spine of a coyote and wanted a pass through? :confused: I'll admit the heads aren't the toughest out there, but I've put one head completely through 2 deer and it's back in the quiver for turkeys in 2 weeks.
I didn't plan on hitting the coyote in the spine but I didn't expect it to blow up like it did.... I can imagine the blades busting but not the Ferrel..

J

1 - 20 of 23 Posts