Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 125gr. Snypers on my back-up bow(never used a mech.) and after reading alot of posts and tests about them I'm getting nervous about them :confused:
For the people that used them or use them on Whitetail only.....
Was the damage to them really that different from other Mechs or other aluminum ferrule heads??
As far as bloodtrails go I think it has to do with placement and Luck....
Do you?
This is some experiences from last year......
1).My buddy hit a doe last year with a 125 gr. Steel force(its as big as a Machette for crying out loud!) and not a drop of blood past 20 yds....
2). I hit a deer with a small profile Turbo and blood everywhere....
3). My buddy hits a doe with a Muzzy 3-blade and he had a bloodtrail stop at 50 yds. (found the deer at around 80 yds.)...not a passthrough either....
4).Another guy uses a Muzzy 3 blade and blood everywhere....
5). I shot a Rage 2-blade through a ping-pong table(posted pics on this forum) and it made it through no damage(1st time) and I shot it again and I lost a blade....

What the real deal? Should I or shouldn't I????

thanks for any help or opinion
Mil6161

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think good blood trails require super sharp broadheads. A clean slice will clot up much slower than torn flesh.

If you do your part by placing the arrow in the vitals and use a sharp head, there should be nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would have to agree with Ryan, put the sharpest broadhead you can find into the bread box and you have a dead deer. I prefer fixed blade broadheads, but I have seen too many awesome blood trails with different mechanicals to say that they are ineffective. I think the Sniper is probably one of the best mechanicals, but I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck!!:)

·
The Impartial Archer
18,599 Posts
Fixed blades are no doubt "safer" because they can't fail to open. That being said I have taken probably 30+ deer with mechanicals and another 30+ with fixed. There are sooooo many variables it’s not easy to say even after that many first hand experiences. The bottom line for me is it sharp and is it accurate. The other factors are not as important IMO. I have shot some crappy heads in the past and even though they broke, bent, shattered...it never cost me the deer if the SHOT was good. Where all that comes into play is when the shot is NOT good. If they LOOK strong and are sharp and accurate I will try em' and from the results I see on real deer (not bricks, ping pong tables...) I will make the decision to continue to use them or move on.

·
Ad Meliora
17,693 Posts
Snyper left a good bloodtrail for me last year, but did not pass through...flies well, decent entry hole. Overall can't complain, but not exactly a confidence builder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm Still Using It

I've killed three deer with the Snyper. Two were pass-throughs and had great entry and exit holes and fairy easy blood trails less than 60 yards long. The other I took from too steep of angle and the broadhead was just under the skin in the bottom of the chest so there was no exit hole. That deer only traveled about 75 to 100 yards, but with the high entry wound and no exit, left little if any blood trail. We found him lying stone dead by walking larger and larger circles in the direction he ran. I blame that one on the shot angle and having to penetrate too much deer (a thick-bodied Minnesota buck). I really like the Snypers and will be using them again this year. I'll file a report when I shoot another deer with them so everyone can compare the head's performance on a deer to the phone book test.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
My son and nephew took 3 deer with the 100 grain snypers last year. Two had great blood trails and went 50-70 yards. One had no blood trail, but hit the upper leg bone on the off side and did not pass thru, but the went only 20-30 yards. Two of the heads had the tip blade bent, and had one main blade bent. None broke. RM is well know for sharpness. I had them use these because one was shooting 60lbs and the other a little less. If you hit where you should, no worries. Hit that leg bone or thick part of the shoulder blade going in, it might be a different story. But then again, not to many mechanicals except the rocket steelhead are going to stand up to that, and even it would likely suffer some blade damage. I've no problem recomending the snyper, just be patient and get off a good shot behind the heavy bone as we should with any head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts