Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some help. I don't have the ability to shoot all these bows, otherwise I would try to make the decision on my own. I went to the "local" bow shop yesterday (1.5 hour drive) to check availability on the gt 500. The shop owner says he can order the bow but has discouraged me from making the order because Elite is still relatively new and with the lawsuit in action, he felt it was risky given the other options/ proven bows that were basically what I was looking for. I had read a lot of discussions here about the Elite bows so I went to the site and checked them out since I was about to by a new bow. The GT 500 was exactly what I was looking for on paper (specs). I wanted an ata of approx 35" +/- a modest brace height of 7" +/-, a relatively smooth draw with a solid back wall, good feel/balance/grip, and better than average speed. The bow I will be using for 3D, but I still want to hunt with it so too much noise is not wanted; Though compared to bows of 15 years ago, and with today’s noise control kits, most bows are quiet.

When I was at the bow shop, the range was occupied by a guest celebrity archer and was not able to test any of the bows in stock, but I will test what is available before I buy. The elite is not in stock. The x-force dream season was a little shorter ata than what I wanted, but everything else seemed great. Drew back, but did not shot. The 82nd was a little lower bh than what I am use to and the draw was not as smooth as the dream season, but not so radical that I would say no to it. Everything else was great seemingly perfect; drawn but not shot. I was told it's a little louder but not too loud. The allegiance is just a little shorter ata and a little slower, but everything else is perfect for me from what I hear. Didn't draw though. I'm wondering how it compares to the xforce ds? Just a few fps slower? The 101st I thought would be perfect for me initially, but somewhere along the way I have convinced myself that the bh is sacrificial for the extra fps (especially with all the gadgets that reduce string oscillation). In addition, when comparing bows on this forum few have chosen the 101st as their bow of choice. I know a few have, but there has been much more rave about the others.

Again, I don't have the option of shooting all these bows around here. I would have to do 10hrs of driving to shoot them all. If anyone has shot at least two of these bows a great deal, and has a basis for comparison, share with me your recommendations. I don't want opinions if you have not shot at least two of these bows a fair amount. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i would definetly go with the gt500 and thats comin from someone who is not biased to any brand i dont have an elite but i am orderin a z28 and i think they are just some great bows...in my OPINION they have the best all around of smoothness, quietness, and speed but thats just my opinion i know many will disagree....however i would not go with them if you have a short draw length because they lose a lot of power..hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....however i would not go with them if you have a short draw length because they lose a lot of power..hope this helps
Do you think that 28" will be a prob? I have been shooting a 29" draw but was told that I should be shooting a 28. I thought that was a littlle short (I'm about 5'10.5" tall and have normal reach; not that height matters all that much, but it gives you an idea). That seem normal to anyone?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have shot 3: Allegiance, 101st, and 82nd. Out of the three I like the 101st the best. I shot the ally and 101st at 60 lbs and couldn't tell a difference between the two other than the 101st being faster. The 82nd was at 70lbs and it was a bear to get back. It still shot very smooth. My vote would be the 101st. If I didn't have an 07 Tribute with the strings off waiting for hunting season, I would be getting a 101st. Smooth and fast, with plenty of brace height to make it forgiving!!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Ya know what..YOU DECIDE !!......opinions are like "noses" everyone has one..so shoot them..and pic the one that YOU like (the bow not the nose) and then learn how to shoot it !!....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Love my 101st. I didn't like the short brace on the 82nd.

Haven't shot an elite so I can't say anything but they are good lookin bows.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I have shot all three of these except the new GT500,, But as you did,, I thought of everything I wanted in a bow, and then ordered the GT500,,, It's a slam dunk kinda bow and it's here to stay! I own the older GTO and it's an incredable shooter,, If the GT500 comes in smoother and faster then the GTO without any cam lean,, I'm definately a winner already,,, I may have to sell it to make room for the new 09 Elite Fire when it comes out again in another month or so,,, Some one told me it might be available in a 70lb version,,,

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I think all those bows you mentioned are a great choice. The nearest Elite dealer from me is about 200 miles, but I am most interested in seeing one, I have hear great things about these bows. I think I would have to check one out before I made purchase.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
bowtechs are great bows, they look good and shoot good but an Elite is the Elite in my opinion they have the look , the customer service and the speed, i ordered the GTO sightunseen, within 5 minutes of shooting it i was hooked.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I have shot all of the bows that you have mentioned, yes even the GT500. Let me tell you that whoever told you to watch out for the lawsuit issue needs to do a little homework. The reason they switched to the new GT500, is to eliminate the lawsuit, and move on with business. They were told that if they come out with the new two track system, they would be good to go.
Anyway, from my own judgement on the bows...
The 82nd is nice, but the 6 1/8th brace is not for me, or anyone just starting out. You will want to stay above 7", and even as you get good I wouldn't drop too far below that.
The 101st is also a nice bow, and holds nice. The thing I do not like about it is the draw cycle. It loads a lot at the end, and then drops hard in to the wall. Bowtech also needs to get there strings specs right, so these things tune correct.
I like the looks of the X-force line, and they way they perform, but the cam system is where I stop looking. It can throw a fast arrow, but so can a binary cam and a single cam, which are better systems if you ask me.
Now for the GT500, what a bow!! It is probably the smoothest pulling bow you will find. It is a bit on the stiff side, but much better than the 101 or 82nd. For a bow that is over 7" brace height, the speeds are crazy. It is not the most quiet bow, but that is not what it is made for. Don't get me wrong though, it is not a loud bow. All around, it flat out outperforms any of the bows I have shot to date, and I have shot and owned many (including mathews and bowtech). The other nice thing is the fact that they eliminated cam lean!
Anyway, I would go back to the dealer and tell them they need to get the facts straight, and then I would tell them you will buy a bow elsewhere!
The best thing you can do is shoot all the bows, and pick the best one for you!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts