Archery Talk Forum banner

Allegiance owners and DIY'ers

675 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  obaugh81
I have been bowhunting for 13 years and shooting year round archery for about three years now. And have nothing bad to say about my pro shop. I would just like to take it a step further because #1 i want to be self sufficiant #2 it would be more convenient #3 i could not blaime anyone but myself if i worked on my own bows and arrows. I recently have bought the bare asentials. Please leave me some advice if you were ever where i am now and was looking for a good starting point or tools you could not live without. I have two of the same bow "Allegiance 08" and bought a bow with a lifetime waranty for a reason and i have yet to find one i like better, i just want to know that bow in and out for as long as i can.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
bow press, bow square, nock plyers, ruler, center shot guage, set of drivers for the bow screws and limb bolts.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
The one tool you really need is a drawboard. Without this you will never be able to time the bow correctly, and it is useful for installing your rest to ensure it comes up during the last couple of inches of draw. It is crazy easy to make and cheap. You will need a press, which you can make for a few bucks (see DYI pipe clamp press). You will need to press the bow in order to adjust timing and let off by adding or removing twists to the string. The other things others have noted, arrow level, string level, bow square, loop material, serving thread etc.

I strongly suggest you download Nuts&Bolts tuning guide on the General Archery Discussion page. It is invaluable. Over a hundred pages of great information.

Good luck, you will get tremendous satisfaction and better results that most archery shops.

Bob

· Full Throttle Baby
2,691 Posts
The other thing that I have found that makes life easy is a jig that I made to measure strings and cables under load. I have bought used bows that the string & cables were as much as 1/4" long. Just add a few twists and the bow will be close to factory specs.

· Registered
44 Posts
the best investment that ive made in tools is my leveling tools (string and arrow levelers). also learn how to serve and serve good. thats what took me the longest on.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to everyone. I pretty much have things on the way, " easton arrow saw, 2 bitsinburger jigs, x-press, bow vice, buble leveling tools, serving tool, bow square, bow scale, small scale for arrows/points/nocks, arrow spinner to check straightness, good set of t-handle allen wrenches. Any thing else you guys use that make it easier to check your bows? How about an instructional dvd that pertains to binary cams and trouble shooting, or part lists for the components used on my 2008 ally ex: e-clips, axles, cable slide, mods, cams, and all existing hardware for that bow i want a little bit of extras.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.