Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of rigging a bow dedicated to alligator hunting. As of now, I plan on a AMS big game slotted reel, a float of some sort and muzzy gator arrows. The Wave rest is interesting as well. Any ideas on gear as far as what works and what don't ?

I'm not sure about sights.... do they hurt more than they help? What about the issue of shooting in the dark with a pin(s) ? Lazar sights? Pin lights? I know I can be more accurate by using a sight of some kind just looking for some ideas.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
898 Posts
If I were bowfishing gators I would want to be as accurate as possible so I would use a sight, but I would only use one pin with a light to brighten the pin and sight it in at around 15 yards seince your going to be mostly hunting at night on a boat and they will swin right up to you.

·
Muzzy Tech
729 Posts
The way we hunt alligators, sights would be detrimental, we do a stealth approach on our gators with very low, almost no light and you definitely could not see any pins and definitely a no on any peep type setup, that will definitely not work. You would have to put a bright light on the target and bow to shoot a sight with and with as spooky as the gators get, that leaves you very little time to get a shot. Plus most shots are normally in the 10-30ft range and you are shooting at something basically on top of the water. Lazer might help, but the drop in those heavy arrows is excessive and there is a big difference in impact from 10 to 30ft. We just shoot instinctive, but then again we shoot that way all year long as well.
I like the Fish Hook rest on all my setups, holds the arrow well and clears the line thru easily also.

·
Registered
828 Posts
if your shooting out of the boat dont worry about sights, a 55-60lb bow will work fine. Most of the gators I get up on I can get really close(like under the bow of the boat close). Most shots are at feet rather than yds. get you some swimmin pool noodles and some bricks and do a little practicing. use the point of that arrow as a reference with a 3 finger under draw if you need to. it will put you lookin right down the arrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts