Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im going on a gator hunt in march for soming around a 6 foot gator. i am bowfishing and i am wondering were the best place to aim is.
thanks

·
<><
971 Posts
I shot a 7ft in Sept if u using a compound with fish arrow, Max range is 20yds. I practiced the night before and 15 was accurate as I could stay. When hunting all u have is the head visible so I just went from the eyes and down at an angle. I shot him in the neck and it was a perfect shot he rolled like crazy sh he wasn't coming off. I used Gator cord and a float but only used around 50 yes of actual line. Best hunt I have been on it was a blast. I actually rigged my bow and sighted in day before hunt. You will have a blast, may I ask where u going

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
The front half is best but really just getting the first arrow in the gator anywhere is the first step. More important than where is being rigged up right to start with. One of ours this year was hit only thru the front leg and we still landed it. It was a nine footer. I highly recommend the steelforce gator point as I think it is simply the very best option. Get one in a gator and the only way to get it out is to cut it out. 400 lb fast flight line is heavy enough rigged by tying to the point to pull off the arrow after the hit. Rigged on Cajun yellow jacket shafts we were able to get baseball sized groups at twenty yards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if u hit gators in the head is there any chance of the arrow not going in and do you ever brake arrows and loose gators

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Top of head there is a good chance of not getting in. Count on the arrow breaking! That's why I said rig by tying to the point so that the arrow comes of the point after the hit.

·
<><
971 Posts
Go to muzzy website and look at the demonstration videos they have for tutorials. It is real easy to rig them. I called mark at muzzy and he walked me through the rigging. He will answer any question u have. I sat down and tied them about an hour or so before my hunt and then used a tiny strip of tape to hold the loop to my shaft. I wish i have my video edited cause it was actually an awesome video for night time. You have a retriever or a drum reel. The drum is horrible i missed opporotunities at a few trying to keep my line on the durn drum. I had to tape the excess to it so it didn't fall. Get the regular fiberglass shafts from muzzy and there detachable heads. I bought a shaft that had a tip on it and took out barbs for practice. My arrow shattered on the roll and the tip stayed attached guess i did something wrong but line wasn't snapping and it wasn't coming off. Let me know if any other questions

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
You should not have much trouble shooting a gator that sized anywhere. Now on bigger ones it can be tough to get penetration through the back. That armor can be over 1" thick. We had one shot basically bounce off a 12 fter and had another cut the line at the point, the rough edge around the hole cut the 600 fastflight

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I purchased the heavier TigerShark arrow with a gator point from AMS but they were not really needed as I ended up shooting my gator with a regular fiberglass arrow which we rigged detachable to a muzzy barbed fish point. I shot mine in the neck with a 70 lb bow between 15 and 20 yards, had the AMS slotted retriever and 25 yards of 400lb test line tied to a float. Take your time playing him like a fish and let him wear himself down. Mknox on here is a great host for a gator hunt and he knows his gators! Here is the 10'9" gator he put me on last August.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts