Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have a new American Leathers Full Shot Glove coming but alas?...that's just a real fancy stocking stuffer for me...and historically I've gotten myself a new or used bow for Christmas....last year I cheated by going with a killer deal on an older hence longer ATA Hoyt Protec finger shooting compound and ordered myself a new set of JBK BCY-X Strings and Cables to match....

then laced it up and timed, tuned and dialed it in and?...got bored and sold it 6 months later! LOL!

Along with that wheelie that I got for $275?....I had change left over and also nabbed this '65 vintage Bear Polar...

put new custom B50 strings on that as well and made myself up a dozen VAP V6 arrows for it too!...but alas?...it was on the high end of a 66"/25# bow and just didn't turn me on...so I offed that one as well! :laugh:

The year before that?...I nabbed a slightly used 21st Century Longbow for Christmas....

But didn't get along with the grip very well and offed that in a few weeks by adding a little cash to grab this Toelke Whip XX....

beautiful bow but...for some reason?...no matter which way I turned the fletchings or tuned the bow?...the shelf was so close to my short chubby bow hand?...I was getting lacerated by the fletchings with every other shot so that hit the chopping block as well which wound up financing my 64"/35# Bear Grayling Green Super K....which immediately got one of Mr. Rick Barbee's finest strings on it....

and after me whipping up a home brew wrist sling for it with $6 worth of leather from a local crafts shop?...it was one fine shooter....

so good in fact?...that I grew bored with it and sold it too! LOL!

And have also been through a bunch of mid-year bows including a self bow, (2) ILF's (an excel and a PSE Zone) SOLD!....and a couple of Falco Longbows (Trophy & Force) SOLD!... and also sold my old Bob Lee TD Hunter (after modding it with a excel shaped grip and refinishing it) but I do still have my Bushmen American Native that was my 2011 Christmas bow...

and it's not going anyhwere anytime soon...neither is my widow or herters but?...as long as you folks didn't kill off all of Santa's reindeer?....I'm wondering...and looking....the W&W RCX 17 has my interest...but I've also had a bit of a hidden fetish for a Big Jims Thunderchild....I've also never owned a Bear TD model....but then there's also that haunting voice inside my head that says I should buckle down and get back in the game with a balls out lightweight Oly/BB style rig...so many options...so many bows...so little time...and the choices seem endless. LOL!

so lets hear it...what new stick are you wanting Santa to brig you this year? ;)

L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
A leappad that my kid can't break! They are adding up! :p

Well, no new bow.. but, I did buy a couple game cameras for myself on Black Friday. I got away with it by telling my fiancee it would be a gift from my kid to me. Draw back is I have to wait till Christmas now.. :BangHead:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I told the wife that I wanted a copy of Viper's book this year.
It came in yesterday, but I don't get to see even the cover of it till the 25th.
I can wait (I think).

·
Registered
210 Posts
got my present a couple weeks ago, new pedersoli, kentuky 50 cal black powder and a new set of trad tech ilf limbs, but I still have a couple weeks before the 25th. the bear td sounds really good???????

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I told the wife that I wanted a copy of Viper's book this year.
It came in yesterday, but I don't get to see even the cover of it till the 25th.
I can wait (I think).
I've been shooting for over 30 years... wrong. I got Viper's book a few weeks ago, and have been learning something new every few pages. Great addition to your shooting kit. I compare it to Kelly Starrett's Becoming a Supple Leopard, as far as breaking down the mechanics of the shot, and how to understand what right and wrong feels like and looks like. (For those of us getting on in years, or CrossFit types, Starrett's book is AWESOME for maintaining functional fitness).

I've added a few pieces to the archery brood this season, but what I really need is some discipline to get out there and shoot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My wife and I are going to Lancaster Archery tomorrow, and she will buy me a carry case for my 69" bow for Christmas. Other than that, I buy "toys" for myself all year. We paid to put our 4 kids through college, and weddings for 3 daughters...now its our turn.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
MY 40th in January too so….

I got me ordered a Dryad ILF ACS 45# longbow and sneaked in some matching lighter recurve limbs too. Well stoked about this one!

·
Registered
337 Posts
My wife and I are going to Lancaster Archery tomorrow, and she will buy me a carry case for my 69" bow for Christmas. Other than that, I buy "toys" for myself all year. We paid to put our 4 kids through college, and weddings for 3 daughters...now its our turn.
Now that's impressive. Being a college student myself, I applaud you sir. Enjoy your toys

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I bought me my Christmas gift yesterday...ordered a dozen cedar shafts, points, nocks and feathers to build my first dozen on the new Bitz I bough several weeks ago. Oh, and I bought my 3-year old granddaughter a rubber suction cup bow and arrow set....this one is from Grandpa, not Santa!

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
Just tried to buy a pair of used BM carbon limbs but got beat out. I am shopping for a 4 wheeler though and that should break the ole bank.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
No new stick. More arrows though. Another dozen VAP V1's with half out inserts. Getting ready to compete this season with my light weight form bow so I need some arrows to match. The VAP's are working pretty well.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I bought some plane tickets to go see my grandsons in PA for Christmas...cost more than my bow. LOL

And I have another grandchild due any day.

No new bows or anything but if the above all goes well it'll make for a nice Christmas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought and installed a replacement arrow rest for my ILF bow. I'm not sure I have the plunger right, so I'll be reading the tuning section in Shooting the Stickbow again. I bought my kids a dozen 1716 Jazz arrows that are factory fletched so that they'll stop taking my 1916 and complaining that they have trouble hitting targets.

Main thing for Christmas for me this year is that I'm buying gifts for the others. My wife, in trying to do me a favor, usually takes on the chore of buying all the gifts. I love buying gifts, but don't get to, so both of us are usually grouchy and I wind up feeling like a boarder in my own home on Christmas morning. Not this year. I'm just burning up Amazon and buying stuff I want to give. That's my big treat!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im waiting on a black 2015 Hoyt CS 34 to be under the tree!!!! Doubt it will be in before the new year though!! Also got a 10" stabilizer and weights from SteveninAZ off AT!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts