Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching a documentary on Dick Pronneke on public television. I have to say, one of my new favorite movies. What an amazing man. There arent many like him nowadays. I know it may not belong in this section but I had to share cuz I know my fellow bowhunters will enjoy it. If you get the chance, sit down and watch his story. You wont regret it.

Anyone else seen it?

· Registered
4,056 Posts
I watched it too and its one of my favorites!

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
That takes a special kind of person to do that. I always dreamed about moving to Alaska or the Yukon, building a cabin and living off the land, but I don't think I could take that kind of solitude.

· Registered
274 Posts
+1 for agree 100%. A truely amazing man! And how about the hinges he made for his doors?

· Registered
233 Posts
If you liked the documentary "Alone in the Wilderness", you will also enjoy reading the book titled "Alaska's Wolf Man" by James Rearden. It is the story of Frank Glasser's adventures in Alaska from 1915 thru 1955. Lots of good stories about life in early Alaska, animal encounters, etc.

· Registered
634 Posts
I've seen that many, many times (usually whe PBS is begging for $$) and it's awesome. His know-how and hand tool usage is what kept him alive and allowed him to thrive.

For a tragedy in the same vane...

Read John Krakuaer's "into the wild" about Christopher McCandless. That was a VERY difficult read. The book, of course, if FAR better than the movie, but the movie is great in its own right. I think it's a must-read for anyone thinking they can just go on a DIY hunt in alaska or the yukon and 'rough it'. Ignorance and ambition are a deadly pair.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
good show... I don't often see something I care to watch on PBS

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to spark the wolf debates, but how about when he mentions how the wolves "thrill kill and he took that moose home the wolves killed but hadnt touched.....

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
" I dont want these logs to look like a boy scout was turned loose with a dull hatchet" .....great quote

· Registered
45 Posts
I love the Alone In The Wilderness documentary and the book was a fantastic read. I loaned it to someone and it was never returned. I will have to order another copy. The book reveals some near death experiences Dick had during his time in the woods. I even pop popcorn once in a great while in bacon fat a treat that my kids love. Sounds gross but it is very tasty. The documentary inspired me in lots of ways to be a better person, the jury is still out if it worked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.