Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my pro shop and we got into aargument about dropaways. He said that you will never see a dropaway at ibo or nationals just 3d and hunting. I said there are alot of dropaways. Then he said that he talke to 3 major dropaway companys and they said no which i dont belive a word. (just for the record i never did like this guy either) can you belive this.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes I believe it but he is wrong :rolleyes: You'll see lots of dropaways at 3D IBO ASA NFAA Nationals Vegas FITA etc. etc. BUT not on my bow :p

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I have seen a first time at a FITA archer shoot a 1335 with one. Hundreds of 300 games with 55+ x counts with them. It goes to show that some pro shops feature amateurs working there:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
You need to take about 99% of what you hear and toss it in the trash.

I wont give my money to a shop if they dont have shooters on staff, I want to learn from people that know better than me not less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont listen to a thing he ever says. but the other do thow what they are talking about.

·
74,535 Posts
Fall aways

Kc Nationals there was lots of fall aways on bows in the racks. I was really surprised to see them used in indoor alot.

I really hear some call it a fad. I really dont feel this is fad that is going anywhere soon.

You guys meen some of the stuff said in pro shops is not true. Imagine that. Good pro shop priceless!

·
Registered
882 Posts
So, you won't buy unless they have shooters on staff? I guess the factory shooters are not good enough? Maybe if I had a retaurant you would not eat there unless I had eaters on staff:D
I have a few shooters, but the staff is not what makes a shop! Why is archery about the only sport were you find shop staff shooters? You find hard core pros in other sports, but in archery almost every one than can pull a string expects to be on staff with a shop. I know of no golf pro shops that have a staff golfer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Drop aways aren't the be all end all. Some are good some are bad.

What's more important is a properly tuned bow. If you have one of those why would you nedd a fall way?

Joe --- Good point on the golf staff shooter? wonder why they don't have them?.............HMMMM

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good point made archeryBOy!!!!!!!

If it is tuned properley you will not have any problems with the shoot throughs, or prongs , so if it is not broke why try and fix it???

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
240 Posts
HMMMM, I should keep my mouth shut but I cant anymore:)

I know Dee Wilde was shooting a fallaway for awhile and Michael Anderson was shooting one when he won Vegas. I think these guys know how to tune a bow . They probably dont jump on to many archery fads either.

Personally I switched to a TT so I could use four 3 inch vanes with helical since Im shooting shoo-thru cables and wont them as narrow as possible for bow arm clearance.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I've stopped asking questions at the place I normally shop. I'm also prepared to disassemble and reassemble anything they do. It's always wrong. Tuesday I bought a cheap aperture with pin and a mounting block for my Sure-Loc sight. The guy installed the aperture facing the wrong direction. He handed it to me and I removed it and put it in the right way. He watched me do it and I looked up, smiled and said, "It's on backwards."

If I have questions, I ask them here. I get MUCH better answers. (And a LOT of them.)

Which makes me wonder why manufacturers have this slavish devotion to shop owners. In many cases they do more harm than good. (Yes, there are some good shops and owners. But everytime I've gotten something from a "Pro" shop it's been wrong in one way or another.)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
BEAR ARCHERY &fads

Yes Sir It nothign but a fad.Like RELEASEs, CARBON ARROWS, PLASTIC VANES, ETC.

Years ago the Bear Archery Company waited for five years to produce a compound bow saying Compounds were just a fad.

That 5 year delay cost them the #1 Position in Archery and they slid down the slippery hill into Chapter 11

The assets were sold to Escalalde in Alabama recently for a little over $4 Million

Drop away rests are so logical I dont see there will be going back

IMHO

TINK:cool:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Barner fall-a-way was around for years, but since it worked off of inertia, it wasn't as consistent as those used today. The philosophy behind it has gone nowhere, causing people to improve on an old theory... The non-drop away rests work very well too. It's personal preference and you will see both in years to come.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
There is no substitute for tuning, and that's the bottom line. I don't care what kind of rest it is, they will all shoot excellently if you tune them correctly. Problem I see is no-one wants to take the time with ANTYTHING nowadays, everyone wants instant success. Unfortunately, this just doesn't happen, no matter how much we try to fool ourselves.

I have found most dropaways to be more of a pain to me than anything else, so I personally shoot something else that works for ME and that has been tried and true.;) For those of you that find the dropaway design "the greatest thing since toast", power to ya, please enjoy your setup!;)

In summary the bottom line is that it simply doesn't matter how we "get there" or with what to be honest, it's all about "getting there" itself.;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
245 Posts
my motto, believe none of what you here and only half of what you see. things can be deceiving

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think that Clint Freeman's 1400+ FITA (I don't remember the actual number) was shot on a drop-away rest.

kgk

·
Registered
246 Posts
baldmountain said:
(Yes, there are some good shops and owners. But everytime I've gotten something from a "Pro" shop it's been wrong in one way or another.)
Your right, you havent been to a PRO shop, just an archery shop... maby you should stop doing the Wal-Mart shoping and find a REAL pro shop in your area (JK) :D

I drive 5 hours to a shop I trust:)

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Two years ago I was shooting a 294 average using a NAP Quicktune with a lizard tongue. Last year I replaced it with a TT Shaky Hunter and my scores dropped to where a 285 was about as good as I could expect. I tried everything that could be tried to try to figure out what was wrong. With three weeks to go till the end of league shooting I switched back to the Quicktune and the lizard tongue and my scores went right back to the mid to upper 290s. There is only one conclusion--the drop away rest was the cause of my problem.

On the PSE forum, there is a section where you can ask the Ragsdales for their professional opinions on anything related to archery. I asked Terry Ragsdale about drop-aways. His reply was that the standard rests are what he and Michelle use because the drop away rests just have too many moving parts.

Automan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts