Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a new 2010 Burner 60-70 @ 29 (8.0 spiral x cams)
I believe my limbs are 86 def
Anyway I needed a 28 DL so I got some 7.0 Cams and new string and cables. Well we put them on yesterday and played with it today and my bow is maxing out at 59.2 lbs. The ATA & BH are in spec, I know Hoyts are different when it comes to this stuff. Unlike my Mathews where u just change cams and go, my string and cables had to be changed and I know limb defelection has to do with something. Anyway I bought this bow for speed and I shot my a 425gr Nanos today at 260-264 fps at 59# that's just not exceptable seeing that my SB shoots them at 255 @ 64lbs and it's easier to draw.
I'd like to get this bow back to 70lb but not sure what the deal is, or if my combo makes this bow a 60lb bow now?
And why the heck its so slow?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
With the smaller cam you would have lost some weight not sure how much though. Youll need higher defflection limbs

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

·
formerly 3drcher48
5,869 Posts
Did you get right string and cable lengths? They are different for the cam series! I don't know for sure, but quite possible that deflection is different also. Usually a smaller cam needs a higher number def. limb.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get right string and cable lengths? They are different for the cam series! I don't know for sure, but quite possible that deflection is different also. Usually a smaller cam needs a higher number def. limb.
I got the string, cables and cams from a guy that took them off a 28" AlphaBurner so I'm assuming they are correct. Plus The bow came right into spec. They are a little more worn than I would like so I will probably end up ordering some new ones anyway if I get this thing figured out.
I guess I can ask him what his limb deflection is.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
I just changed limbs on my 2011 Alphaburner which was 28/70 (7.0 cam/98 defl. limbs) to 86 defl. limbs. Put the bow in spec., timed the cams and set D/L on the draw board. End result is 60.4 lbs. D/W and 16.14lbs. of holding weight in the valley.

·
Registered
221 Posts
First thing is your 28in hoyt is about a half inch shorter tham your mathews, theres about 5 feet per second.The five pounds more on the mathews is about another 10 feet per second.So your hoyt would be shooting 280 ball park if you were comparing apples to apples.Try this if your just trying to get a few extra pounds put 4 to 6 twist in each cable and see where u wind up poundage and speed.Check your timing and make sure cams are not over rotating but I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
That's just what it's supposed to be with those cams. You can tweak a few more pounds, but it'll also add a little DL.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I got a 28" 50/60 camo burner forsale when your tired of your issue.. 575tyd It has a new set of strings and an upgraded 2011 Hoyt sts upgrade.. :p

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I would be better off putting it back to where is was at 29/70 and selling it and buying a 28/70?
Its just a pain how nothing I can find or see is set, everything is if u have this, this and this its "about" this. If u change this and this it's "about" this. I like simple and this Hoyt crap is kind of annoying and confusing.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Maybe I would be better off putting it back to where is was at 29/70 and selling it and buying a 28/70?
Its just a pain how nothing I can find or see is set, everything is if u have this, this and this its "about" this. If u change this and this it's "about" this. I like simple and this Hoyt crap is kind of annoying and confusing.
When you change cam sizes it deflects the limbs a different amount. So you have to change the stiffness (deflection) of the limbs to make up for it. That's part of why at short DLs Spiral cams bow are so fast, though. It's the deflection per cam size and the smaller, lighter cams as the DL goes shorter.

You should have asked some questions first, bud. You would've been in the know then.

On the upside....there are lots of Hoyt parts in the classifieds and if you sell yours it'll be a wash.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you change cam sizes it deflects the limbs a different amount. So you have to change the stiffness (deflection) of the limbs to make up for it. That's part of why at short DLs Spiral cams bow are so fast, though. It's the deflection per cam size and the smaller, lighter cams as the DL goes shorter.

You should have asked some questions first, bud. You would've been in the know then.

On the upside....there are lots of Hoyt parts in the classifieds and if you sell yours it'll be a wash.
Your right, I kinda jump into something I don't know anything about and it pizzes me off. I've been a Mathews shooters for a while and this Hoyt stuff is just..... Not the same :)

I'm honestly thinking trading or selling to get what I need will he my best bet.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Your right, I kinda jump into something I don't know anything about and it pizzes me off. I've been a Mathews shooters for a while and this Hoyt stuff is just..... Not the same :)

I'm honestly thinking trading or selling to get what I need will he my best bet.
Just find some 100-104 deflection 2000s in the classifieds and you're good. You can sell yours for the same price you got the "new" ones for. You'll be glad you did, because it just isn't "the same". ;)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
All the Hoyt crap is a little confusing at first but once you figure it out it's fun to play with. That's why right now I have a Hoyt wearing a set of spirals that Hoyt never made with spirals.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just find some 100-104 deflection 2000s in the classifieds and you're good. You can sell yours for the same price you got the "new" ones for. You'll be glad you did, because it just isn't "the same". ;)
Well that would be my obvious next step but I thnk it would be easier to put the original cams and string back on and sell it then buy a another in the right DL... am I wrong?
Cause from what I can see the only thing left from my original bow would be the riser and cable guard. So I bought a new bow and changed pretty much the entire thing.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Well that would be my obvious next step but I thnk it would be easier to put the original cams and string back on and sell it then buy a another in the right DL... am I wrong?
Cause from what I can see the only thing left from my original bow would be the riser and cable guard. So I bought a new bow and changed pretty much the entire thing.
So? It's still the same thing as buying one that left the factory in that configuration, right? And there's no need to stop there, for that matter. You can do all kinds of stuff with Hoyts. Heck, there are tons of limb, cam and grip options that will fit that riser. You could, for example, put 3000s and GTX cams on it if you wanted to (it'd be about 36" ATA with 7" brace). Or any of a large number of other combos. I love that about them, since I'm a chronic tinkerer at heart.

Not to mention it'd only cost shipping when selling your limbs as far as out of pocket expenses go. But you'd likely lose 100+ dollars selling this bow then buying another, if you find one in the specs you want. I'd personally just get some lighter arrows and let her rip. :nod: Spirals feel nice at 60# and not so nice at 70#.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly this thing felt really smooth at 60, but it doesn't really put Out the speed I'm wanting. I shot some ST Epics and hit 280 with them but I'm was looking to hit that magical 300fps mark. I've always been a smooth bow guy and never really cared about speed, I wanted this bow to be different and be the opposite of the norm for me. That's why I'm not concerned about the harsh draw at 70. Actually the way the bow was from the factory I was drawing 73# and hitting 320+ fps with the Epics. Maybe I should put the original stuff back on and just get use to shooting a little longer DL?
I don't know, this things has my head all twisted up.
I Need a little help... Seeing how speed is pretty much my only concern with this bow. Should I
Do like I just said a shoot a little longer DL which will also give me more speed.
Swap limbs now and get this bow to actually fit.
Sell... I may lose $ but at the end of the day I will still have the same bow.
Or leave it at 60#.... my only problem with this is I will be hunting with this bow and was really wanting to be able to use the Reaper WT specials and wanted enough KE to be sure I could blow through with a 2" 3 blade.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts