Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on an AM 35 and having a persistent .5in left tear. When I lay a straight edge to the cams, both top and bottom are leaning slightly towards the riser, with the straight lines crossing just inside the nock. Do I need to twist the outside or shelfside yoke? I would think that I would twist the shelf side to straighten the cam lean, but everyone here is saying to twist the left or outside yoke for a left tear. Which is it?

Also, the draw stop on the top cam hits the string slightly later than the stop on the bottom.

Also, the ATA is 35 1/4 not 35.

AM 35, 70lbs, 28dl XTR2 Cmod

What order should I address these problems.

Brian

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
27.75 in maxima hunter 250 with 100g tips. Tried 350s also and the lt tear was worse.

Brian

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
742 Posts
Take a a few twists out of the control cable to get the upper cam to hit at the same time as the bottom or slightly ahead of the bottom cam. Depending on how far it is off it could be as many as six. It is a good starting point.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
you need to get those cams timed and bow in spec first, also those maxima 250s at just close to 28" are too weak an arrow for that 70# bow.

you need to measure the DW of the bow and measure the specs to know exactly what to do with what cable, if your poundage is too high or low it lets you know which cable to twist, you can take a few out of the control like HELI said and get the cams synced and do some measuring and see how everything is, hopefully its close but if not then you gotta redo it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I got the ATA and BH correct and the cam synced. What about the cam lean?

I shoot at 66lbs or so. While paper tuning the 250s do much better than 350?

Brian

·
Registered
353 Posts
Correct Cam Lean FIRST

Alphamaxs are notorious for cam lean. We had one in that was terrible. Customer called Hoyt, they suggested changing limbs around, etc, on a NEW bow. I said B.S. and served the yoke in solid. Then twisted yoke legs until happy with lean. Then set Centershot. Check ATA, of course. But all the tuning in the world is useless if the geometry of the bow is changing due to cam lean. A little doesn't seem to matter much, but what we have found on 3 different Alphas is severe. Wish Hoyt would address the problem.... Good Luck!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately, Hoyt won't address the problem. That's why they keep making the bows the same way with the same problems. If I cannot fix my current Hoyt, it will be my last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts