Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after being nagged about shooting field I decided that I would give it a try. So here is where I need some help........

Is there really that much diffrence between Field and 3-D. Besides the yardage guessing?

Any help getting me ready would be great.

I'm shooting a Ultra-elite set up @ 27" 57.25lbs, arrows will be A/C/C 3-39's.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
contrary to many rubber deer ideologies, the same bow you use to poke holes in the inflateable deer you can use to shoot field.

you dont need the heavy weight, and you dont. your bow has plenty enuff ooomph to push one out to 80yds.

you dont 'need' a chair, but there are those that will tell ya its a must. it may take some time, but enjoy yourself in the woods for a while....hell, they're gettin mowed down fast enuff already.

an arrow with a heavier tip, like 80 to 100grs would be good because on the longer shots, as the arrow slows, it'll begin to 'float'. the fletching end will sink below the arc of the point. the heavier the point, the more the heavy end will stay in front.

dont get all wigged out about shooting at 80yds. you only do that twice in a 28 target round. the target image you see at 80yds is the same at 20ft.....why is that so intimidating? i think its pretty cool to watch an arrow in flight over long distances.

go have fun....shoot with some guys that have done it before so they show ya the ropes. you bought your bow to shoot, not talk about.....this is why you bought it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The only word of caution I would say is, if you really get to liking it and decide to shoot State sectionals or Nationals in the NFAA field rounds watch your bow speed 280 Max especially for Nationals.

Other wise shoot it and have a blast.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
And trust your bubble. If your shooting a scope make sure your axis are as precise as you can get them. Field has a lot more radical angles than 3D at least as far as the courses that I have shot.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
BJ
You are gonna get hooked man!:wink: As much as I like tourny shooting indoors it is only to pass the time until field starts up here in the north woods!

Come on up to sectionals, it is at our home course this year and thats less than 3 hours from Mason City.

Hope to see ya there (and bring some of your IA cronies:tongue:)

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having been a foam puncher for 25 odd years or more....the biggest difference between field and 3D is that you get to shoot more. In 3D you spend 3.5 to 4 hours shoot 25 or 30 arrows...in field you get to shoot 112 arrows in not much more time than that. In field you may just be shooting at the black dot in the middle but there is such a varity of targets and range layouts that you never get bored or as good as you think you are. Anymore one 3D course looks pretty much like the one you shot last week....with guys using 12 power $2000.00 binos studing the same target they just shot. I started shooting field around 5 years ago and haven't looked back, it brought the enjoyment of archery back to me. WARNING it is additictive and it takes more practice to get good at it, before long you will be building your own range.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Having been a foam puncher for 25 odd years or more....the biggest difference between field and 3D is that you get to shoot more. In 3D you spend 3.5 to 4 hours shoot 25 or 30 arrows...in field you get to shoot 112 arrows in not much more time than that. In field you may just be shooting at the black dot in the middle but there is such a varity of targets and range layouts that you never get bored or as good as you think you are. Anymore one 3D course looks pretty much like the one you shot last week....with guys using 12 power $2000.00 binos studing the same target they just shot. I started shooting field around 5 years ago and haven't looked back, it brought the enjoyment of archery back to me. WARNING it is additictive and it takes more practice to get good at it, before long you will be building your own range.
Uh Yea:embara: I have my field coarse almost done:tongue:

John

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Someday, you are going to look back on this as the beginning of your "learning experience" in Archery. Just remember, it's the same shot, same form, same everything whether you're shooting 20 feet or 80 yards. And there are no I didn't figure the yardage right or there was a limb in the way. This is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Enjoy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts