Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick question for everyone. I've always used 16 strands of DF'97 to make strings and cables...both 1 and 2 color. Now I've been using 18 strands of 8125. This is great for 1 color strings but what about 2 color strings and split cables???? 18 doesn't really work there???? How many strands ond what serving materials is everyone else using?????

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I think that you would want your # of strands to divide to an even number when building 2 colour strings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
two colored strings

I always use a total string count that is a multiple of 4. This allows me to tie the strings at opposite ends and have even string numbers. I use BCY 452 on my legacy that is 70 lbs. I erred on the side of caution and used 24 strands. That is 12 strands of each color or 6 complete wraps on a string jig with each color.

I do not makes strings for a living so take this for what it is worth.

Hope I helped

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,414 Posts
shawn_in_MA said:
Here's a quick question for everyone. I've always used 16 strands of DF'97 to make strings and cables...both 1 and 2 color. Now I've been using 18 strands of 8125. This is great for 1 color strings but what about 2 color strings and split cables???? 18 doesn't really work there???? How many strands ond what serving materials is everyone else using?????
4 1/2 Turns of each color, tied off at both ends works just fine. I start on the left side of the jig with the first color and finish on the opposite end. I then start on the right side of the jig with color #2 and finish on the left. Simply cross the two colors over each other on each end and serve.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I always make my split cables in multiples of 4 (450+ is 12, Dynaflight 97 is 16 and 8125 is 20) for both one and two color strings. Have heard of people doing it as EPLC says but have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do mine like EPLC

I use 18 strands of 8125, 9 red, 9 white. I make the end servings are blue BCY # 62 in .018. The center serving is blue BCY #62 .021. This color combination just seemed right for my Bowtech Patriot !

·
Registered
415 Posts
Everyone here is right on! Multiples of 4 are usually easier to work with for me as well as others. Just because of where I place my ends and how I tie them off. But if a customer requests 18 strands it takes all of about 30 seconds more work. Think things through about how you're going to do things ahead of time and you'll be just fine! Good Shooting.

-Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts