Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there I figured I would write here to see if anyone has a higher reach with Alternative Services than the sales dept, who is IMO awful at resolving inquires.

This is the second time I get in trouble with their order, taking excesive amounts of time to being delivered. I have bought from many vendors and people here in the forum and never have major issues rather than the expect delays due to the pandemic> I had issues both times with Alternative, but this last shipmet was oredered 8 weeks ago, and when I inquiry with them, this is the answer i got:

ORDER: XXXXX27R
Customer ID: XXXXX827
Date Ordered: September 19, 2021
ABC: n/a
-----------------------
-----------------------
Notes: When you selected the delivery
option you selected the
CHEAPEST. This option does not
have tracking. Yes you are
correct we are causing all
these delays just to upset
you. I think you are right.
Don't buy from us again
----------------------------

So basically, if I do not pay them for the most expensive delivery option I should not complain if my order never shows on my door?, besides their tracking is only good in uk, so I figure it is worthless anyway.

If anyone has a way to help me contact Alternatives management I would appreciate it, I would like to think they can offer a more reasonable solution to my problem
Help will be appreciated.

J.

·
Ready Aim Pluck
723 Posts
Usually their cheapest tracking option (royal mail) will use your local country's post system to do the final delivery (eg. when I use it in the US, I can track it on USPS once it makes it overseas.)

Over the years, I've found that paying the extra $20-30 dollars for their expensive shipping option is worth it for the peace of mind, especially if I am buying expensive stuff or exotic stuff that I can't find on Lancasterarchery. Having the ABC club membership does also give 50% off the expensive shipping options which is nice if you tend to buy archery stuff often.

As for reaching them... I believe alternativess is really just a small warehouse with 2 people running it... Glyn and Tony Goodwin. There is not management or anything like that, just two folks running an online shop with no actual physical storefront (probably how they keep prices lower than most.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Usually their cheapest tracking option (royal mail) will use your local country's post system to do the final delivery (eg. when I use it in the US, I can track it on USPS once it makes it overseas.)

Over the years, I've found that paying the extra $20-30 dollars for their expensive shipping option is worth it for the peace of mind, especially if I am buying expensive stuff or exotic stuff that I can't find on Lancasterarchery. Having the ABC club membership does also give 50% off the expensive shipping options which is nice if you tend to buy archery stuff often.

As for reaching them... I believe alternativess is really just a small warehouse with 2 people running it... Glyn and Tony Goodwin. There is not management or anything like that, just two folks running an online shop with no actual physical storefront (probably how they keep prices lower than most.)
+1 to this. I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, and the Royal Mail -> USPS is sloooooow. The Royal Mail tracked is typically only a little more and is just as slow, but you can normally see that it is the shipping service keeping it at a snails pace.

·
Lowered expectations
18,529 Posts
If you Google about mail from the UK to Colombia (assuming from the flag under your avatar) it says “International Economy - up to 8 weeks.” You’re not at 8 weeks yet, and that’s without allowing for processing etc, and of course, current global shipping delays.

Yeah, I’d also be interested in reading what message you sent them that elicited such a response. I’ve dealt with them before, no issues, and they have a good reputation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess I'm lucky with their shipping. I live in the USA & I placed an order with them four days ago, selected the cheapest option and got it in the mail today. I order from them every once in a while, shipping is often faster than domestic sellers.

Perhaps it got hung up in customs? I have had stuff sit in American customs for weeks when ordering from Italy.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,986 Posts
With that type of response how did you phrase your correspondence? If you beat on customer service expect it back.
This is what I thought as well. I would like to see the whole conversation thread. I recently had a riser that was back ordered with altss for over a month. In my communication with Glyn I was respectful and I got nothing but respect back. This is a crazy time and I'm sure it is stressful. Products are delayed globally. It is what it is. Some understanding, kindness and patience goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I’ve always found them ok. Yes shipping can be a lottery if you don’t choose tracked but if you were not polite with their customer service then maybe they treated you accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,622 Posts
I would like to hear the whole story, starting from the beginning.

Once an order is shipped it's literally out of their hands. Then the shipping time is determined by the shippers and the government Customs agents. In my country, it's the government Customs agents who cause the longest delays. It's probably like that for every country.

And like Fango0000 said, it's just a mom and pop family business. Two people.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I’m aware of five really bad experiences in the last six months. A person I shoot with, this one here, and three on the barebow FB group.
Most of them relate to stock being listed as in stock, charged, and then told the item is unavailable/backordered and refusing a refund/order cancellation. One was a warranty issue. The last one is this response, which is in poor form regardless.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
People hunting deals always get the most miffed it seems. Alt is always cheaper than Lancaster. If you want best customer service use Lancaster. Hands down the best. It will cost you about 10% more.

Want 10% less? Go with alt services and be prepared. I’ve used them probably 50x in last ten years. Always good. All errors corrected. I’ve heard stories of things going south with them before and it’s always with someone who is really ticked off. Seems they have low tolerance for that kind of interaction.

Fwiw the good business model is to ditch the troublemakers (who generally only discount shop anyway) and make more time for patronage that doesn’t think they’re at McDonald’s.

I’ll keep buying from alt and expect them to tell me to get lost if I’m not nice.

Alt sends an email before they charge you. So did these people get an email saying “your order is confirmed” then you respond with proceed with payment THEN they charge you and process the order. Or did they say they had the items in the first email (not just on the web page) and then later say they didn’t? With no warning of possible delays? ..Just took the money AND then said there will be a heretofore unmentioned wait?
I can only imagine the email that garnered that response.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just read the above about warranty on riser 👍
I won’t buy risers from alt for exactly those kinds of warranty reasons. Too afraid to get one not perfect. I’m (too) picky. No way I’m sending it back to them and playing the warranty waiting game. . Lancaster would have warranty issues in risers or limbs remedied in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...I've never seen a spicy response like that back from Alts. 😅
For the sake of transparency, this is the original mail I sent them

I'm contacting you as of today, 7 weeks later I have not received my order, I would like you to help me understand where my order is and what is the expected arrival date. I think this is more than adequate time to account for all covid (that is not really an issue anymore) and all other logistic delays that you have claimed in the past.

I would like you to please update me with a real time of arrival or offer a full refund, I'm really trying to work with your service, but this is the second time I have to reach you to find out where my order is, this does not happen with other vendors, just you.

I'll appreciate the help
Regards

Jose Rodriguez.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fully understand I did not pay for real time tracking of my package, im simply stating that as they are the ones that know what company is in charge of shipping to contact them and reply back with the response on ETA.
I will surely contact the shipping company myself, but they specifically do not share those details and ask the custome tonaske them directly if you have any issues with your delivery 4 seeks after the dispatch date.

Im aware of international shipping delays, but since I'm located in Colombia I'm used to the international shipping times, and 8 weeks is excessive.

I bought from them just because the carry somethings that are not found anywhere else.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Alt sends an email before they charge you. So did these people get an email saying “your order is confirmed” then you respond with proceed with payment THEN they charge you and process the order. Or did they say they had the items in the first email (not just on the web page) and then later say they didn’t? With no warning of possible delays? ..Just took the money AND then said there will be a heretofore unmentioned wait?
I can only imagine the email that garnered that response.
In one instance, yes. The person waited three weeks to reach out because the status had not changed. They came to me, because I recommended the site, and were concerned that they got ripped off. Only after they asked were they told that the item was no longer available from their distributors and that they could credit the amount paid to a different item. They had to go through PayPal for a refund.

Again, they ordered an item that was in stock. Not notified it was out of stock. Paid for it. After 3 weeks, asked for status update and were then told it was not available. Were not refunded or offered refund for something they paid for but Alternatives would not be able to deliver.

And I believe them, because they showed me the emails. This was not the experience I had when I ordered limbs that were discontinued a year ago. While we were having this conversation, someone else at the club told me a similar story (this was item was expected 1-2 week wait, after 6 weeks with item not shipped they requested refund).

Glyn was super rude. Period. You can insult people that expect a bare minimum amount of service (you know, actually shipping the item someone paid for or refunding payment when item cannot be sent), but I don't know why you'd do so.

·
Lowered expectations
18,529 Posts
Again, Royal Mail:

Product Font Screenshot Software Web page

That’s assuming it was sent by mail and under 2kg. A bigger package might take even longer.

You asked for the cheapest rate - you get what you pay for. No tracking so Alt can’t help you. All you can do is wait. In maybe another month you can legitimately ask for a refund. Deal with it - there are bigger things in the world to worry about.

I once had a bow sent to me in Canada from the US. Was stuck in Customs for 3 months. Somehow, I survived the experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know about your experience, but I've never had a problem with Alternatives.

In fact, it normally takes me two weeks to get arrows from Alternatives, but my last order (this week), arrived in just nine days.

So, not that bad.

Are they as friendly and chatty as Lancaster? No, but then again they are English...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts