Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, help me out here. I think it's a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge issue, but it's really bugging me. I switched to carbon arrows when they became the rage years ago. My old bow was a little noiser with them, but I loved the speed. Now I have a new bow. It shoots either shaft very well. But for some reason I just want to go back to aluminum. Maybe it's because I grew up with them or maybe because they are a little quieter. Here's the comparisons from my setup:

Carbon.................Aluminum
265fps.................230fps
365grains.............485grains
54 lbs KE.............55 lbs KE

The only real difference would be the pin gap and having to pass on longer shots. Make me feel better about my desire to shoot aluminum. Does anyone else prefer them over the carbons??

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Shoot the faster arrow and put some cat whiskers and SIMS produts on your bow. I shoot a 380 grain from my Ultra Tec and it is super quiet. But there is no way I would shoot an arrow flying 230 fps. There are to many trade offs for being that slow and trust me a deer can still duck your arrow with your bow being a little quiter from shooting those aluminums. Heck at that speed he may duck and be running already by the time the arrow gets there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I shot aluminium for the last few years and just changed to carbon this year. So far I can tell you that the carbons for me group tighter and are way faster. I cant say how they will penetrate an animal yet but they do stick in the targets 4 inches further at 60 yards. I am also a big fan of carbon now because either there straight or broken. I spent alot of time last year trying to tune with a very slightly bent arrow. That was frustrating. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Here we go again... :wink: :moviecorn

I used to shoot XX75's in a 2315 for years and years out of an old PSE round wheel dual cam bow. I considered it to be like a flying tire iron! The whole arrow setup was 587 grains! Out of a 65# bow, I was shooting {maybe on a good day} around 205-210 fps with a 125gr tip. I mean, at 40 yards, I could literally watch the arrow arcing in flight! It was heavy, slow, but had the K/E to stop a Mack truck!

Nowadays, I finally upgraded and got a brand new Reflex Highlander and also took the "grand leap of faith" and went carbon. After seeing the difference and reading countless articles and flame wars on alum vs carbon, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. :thumbs_up

Carbon is way faster, way more flatter trajectory, and also with the right broadhead and setup, you have excellent K/E and penetration. It is very true with the statement: Carbon is either straight & shootable, or it's not. I have bent plenty of XX75's but have never "bent" a Beman ICS Hunter 340.

Once you go "black" you never go back! CARBON IS THE WAY TO GO!!! :shade:

Butch A.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
ButchA said:
It was heavy, slow, but had the K/E to stop a Mack truck!
Not trying to start anything with you but......

Actually I think the truck is safe with that set up......you were only getting 57 lbs of KE. Thats not alot by anymeans. It is enough but not enough to be shooting any Mack trucks.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I made the switch from aluminum arrows to carbons a few years ago because bending aluminum arrows was getting a bit expensive, and everything that I had heard about carbon arrows was true. They are all around better! Switching back to aluminum would be like trading a clunker for a new car and then trading the new car back for the clunker because it's worn out seat fit your butt better!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Switching back to aluminum would be like trading a clunker for a new car and then trading the new car back for the clunker because it's worn out seat fit your butt better!'

Well put. Gee, I was hoping someone would own up to actually liking aluminum shafts better. Guess not. The noise is just bugging me. Yes, I have whiskers and the full Simms treatment from the factory (Parker Pheonix34) Carbons are just going to make a little more noise, but in the end run, I guess you're all correct. I shot a lot of aluminum today and really missed my carbon speed.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
Not trying to start anything with you but......

Actually I think the truck is safe with that set up......you were only getting 57 lbs of KE. Thats not alot by anymeans. It is enough but not enough to be shooting any Mack trucks.
Hey no sweat... ;) I just used that as a figure of speech. That old PSE dual cam was a heck of a shooter in its day. Big, bulky, slow as molasses, but it was one of the quietest bows that I have shot.

Butch A.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Trykon was loud as all get out so I tried the Super string leeches on my bow and added an STS. I could not believe the difference. Makes only a "swooosh" now with no speed drop. Leeches are cheap and I also put them on my sons bow (Parker) with similar results. good luck

·
When's bow season start?
8,914 Posts
Butch A. said:
Here we go again...

I used to shoot XX75's in a 2315 for years and years out of an old PSE round wheel dual cam bow. I considered it to be like a flying tire iron! The whole arrow setup was 587 grains! Out of a 65# bow, I was shooting {maybe on a good day} around 205-210 fps with a 125gr tip. I mean, at 40 yards, I could literally watch the arrow arcing in flight! It was heavy, slow, but had the K/E to stop a Mack truck!

Nowadays, I finally upgraded and got a brand new Reflex Highlander and also took the "grand leap of faith" and went carbon. After seeing the difference and reading countless articles and flame wars on alum vs carbon, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

Carbon is way faster, way more flatter trajectory, and also with the right broadhead and setup, you have excellent K/E and penetration. It is very true with the statement: Carbon is either straight & shootable, or it's not. I have bent plenty of XX75's but have never "bent" a Beman ICS Hunter 340.

Once you go "black" you never go back! CARBON IS THE WAY TO GO!!!

Butch A.
Uh-oh...I done rocked the boat! :wink:

I switched to carbons several years ago, re-tried aluminums last season and switched back completely this year.

The 27" XX75 2213's (100 grain tips/b-heads) weigh 415 grains with three, 4" feathers and are clocking about 270 fps. The CX-300's I was shooting were doing 280 fps. Trajectory from the rest out to 33 yards or so is the same, with about 2" more drop at 40 yards. Whoop-de-doo.

My bow is substantially quieter, and since it's a brand-new Trykon I would say it has all the bells and whistles for a quiet, shock-free shot.

It is also, arrow-to-arrow, more accurate. No one will tell me that (as of today) carbons are either straighter or (more important) more consistent in spine than aluminums. And to me durability isn't an issue. A trash can full of splintered and cracked carbons proved that to me. Yeah, they don't bend (well, actually they can to some degree, but I'll admit, not like aluminums), but I don't bend that many aluminum arrows anyway.

Shoot what you like. Do you take many 40+ yard shots anyway?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I like Aluminum!!!

Actually, I shoot both, but in different bows. Some say carbon is either straight or it's broke. Not my experience. Most of my carbons (Axis, GT22, and GT XT hunters) are pretty straight, but if you don't check them yourself don't bet on it.

All of my shafts get checked for straight when they are full length and the more crooked end gets cut off.

I've had both broken by game, but other than that I can't remember the last time I bent an Alminum.

I'll start this season hunting with carbon, but the last 2 turkeys and 3 deer that got in my way all got metal passed through them.

Either one will do the job and do it well.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
Shoot the faster arrow and put some cat whiskers and SIMS produts on your bow. I shoot a 380 grain from my Ultra Tec and it is super quiet. But there is no way I would shoot an arrow flying 230 fps. There are to many trade offs for being that slow and trust me a deer can still duck your arrow with your bow being a little quiter from shooting those aluminums. Heck at that speed he may duck and be running already by the time the arrow gets there.
i agree, im shootin faster and with better groups now and its so sweet using the same pin out to about 35 yards.I LIKE IT!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have also made the switch fromm 2413 100grn. tip 4" feathers @249 fps @ 53 ft. ke--to a 339 acc with the same set up and now 266 fps @58 ft of ke and added limb savers and cat whiskers and I'm quieter than before.

·
Registered
726 Posts
aluminum for me... used carbon for a while. They aren't worth the extra money and frankly, I don't care how flat it shoots - speed is overrated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm actually going to try a heavier carbon arrow. I ordered some of the CX Edge 250's. They weigh about 1.1 grains per inch more than my GT's. So, It will add about 30 grains to my arrow weight, but still retain the toughness of the carbon shaft. But, I honestly do not think I would switch back to aluminum. Nothing against it, I just wouldn't switch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too have been debating on switching to carbons. However after reading Chuck Adams' article on the Easton website I think I'll continue to shoot aluminum. Kinda like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Round and Round we go

Ok first off if you want some technical data and personal experience beyond compare in favor of alums send Viper1 a pm and he will gladly give you all the info you could ask of in favor of alums. That being said I'm a dedicated follower to the carbon arrow and this is why: With my setup I shoot a 375gr arrow just over 300 fps and have shot my arrows through Elk shoulders, full pass through on quartering away elk, and even on one bad shot through both front shoulders of a buck, (I did catch the front of the lungs, but a bad shot none the less). Basically I beleive my setup has plenty of KE as is.

More KE is never a bad thing but I feel that my most error prone process of my hunting shots is misjudging range. Even with practice it is easy to think the huge body of a bull elk is 5-10 yards closer then it really is. For this reason I beleive the flatter trajectory yielded from carbon arrows helps diminish the effects of a erroneously ranged shot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've bounced back and forth the last couple of years between the 2 and they both have +/-'s.
I like a heavier shaft and enjoy shooting the aluminums. I feel it's a personal preference and I shoot a fairly fast bow ('03 Super Tec @ 30" @70#'s).
With the set up that I have I don't have a lot of arch and I'm shooting 29" XX78 2317's.
I'm stacking the shafts out to 50 yards with broadheads and I'm happy with the grouping, when I've got my bow setup for carbons I can say the same thing.
I don't have the momentum with the carbons that I do with the aluminums though
On the other hand I've had good luck with carbons as well, I just don't care to shoot them.
I can't quote actual speeds as I've had a new set of strings, Vapor Trail, installed on the bow. With the old Hoyt string and cable I was shooting a 432gr. arrow @ 309 fps with a loop, peep and string leaches.
Steamin

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fast bows and fast arrows

You need a faster bow to get a faster arrow.

In order to get optimal speed from a bow shooting carbon arrows, the bow must have an inherent speed that is high enough.

For example, if one is shooting a 400 grain aluminum arrow and a 300 grain carbon arrow with the same bow and not getting significant speed increase with the lighter arrow then the problem lies not with the carbon arrow but with the bow itself.

But if you got 30% more speed with the 300 gn arrow than with the 400 gn arrow that would mean 25% more KE, which may come as significant depending on what you are after.

·
Registered
21,691 Posts
My Test

Hi All
This what i did before i ever read this post. I have a bad case of the wounder what ifs.If you no what i mean. I took a 333gr GT pro 22 An a 400gr GT pro 22. An shot them throw a crono. just to see how much differance there was in speed. The light arrow was 22fps faster at about 3 ft i woundered what about 20yds the light arrow was only 17 fps faster.An at 30 yds 9 fps faster at 40 the heaver arrow was the same or 1 or 2 fps faster. I did not shoot 50 did not want to push my luck chrono. cost to much. I tried this several times an it was about the same every time mabe 1or 2 fps differance any way i bailed on the light arrows an went with axis i want that KE at 40 plus where i realy need it. I used the same bow same poundage just a 333 gr vs a 400gr the reasion 333 after i cut the arrow as short as i could shoot an the lightest tip thats what i ended up with hope this helps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts